What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

Saw this yesterday as part of the films section of Canadian Music Week:
big_star.jpg

I didn't know much about them beyond their music but this seemed to cover the whole story of the band and Ardent Records quite thoroughly. Basically the standard 'band documentary' but it's a very well put together example. Profiles of various associated hangers-on, scenesters and weirdo friends from Memphis and New York give it some extra colour. I could've done without the whole tribute concert / celebrity fans parts at the end but I suppose it's useful to show people how wide their influence ended up being despite selling so few records.

Alex Chilton is a strangely elusive figure at the center of it.. I assume he declined to participate as there's not much interview footage or audio of him and it's all short archive clips. I felt by the end that I knew more about Chris Bell as a person despite him dying 30 years younger. I didn't know anything about Chilton's post Big Star work, there's some hilarious footage in there of him appearing as part of an art-punk provocateur project circa 1980 on some very square daytime talk show.

Albatross2011Poster.jpg

watched 30 mins of this before turning it off and putting on an episode of My So Called Life. even though I got to see Lady Sybil's breasts in those 30 mins, I would not recommend it.

Boys Don't Cry. Very good. Hilary Swank is phenomenal in it. Peter Sarsgaard is great too. It's a good slice of small town nastiness and another reminder that humans are total fucking jerks. Recommended.
boys_dont_cry_poster1.jpg

Sightseers.

7.1 on IMDB. I'd give it a 7.8.Easily.

A EXCELLENT MOVIE.Watch it!

Life Of Pi.

Life of pants.4.5.and thats being generous.

The Campaign.

Will Ferrell punching slightly above his usual promising but more often than not lacklustre weight.As I am with that last sentence.

An en joyable 6.6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back