What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Vacas (Cows)
51q4cOpueML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For anyone who studied Austin Clarke's 'The Lost Heifer' for the Leaving Cert and had to wrack their brains trying to equate what this wandering bovine had to do with the civil war; they might be reminded of it watching this generational, rural Basque allegory set before and during the Spanish Civil war. If it's equally as confusing it's no less beautiful. Reminded me also, at various stages, of Battleship Potemkin, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives and Manon des Sources. Well worth a watch if you liked any of the above.

haven't seen any washingcattle reviews in a while. they're my favourite posts on here.
Planning to get up to date over the weekend. Saw a shit load of movies while my lady was off work, but since she was off work I hadn't got the time or peace or quiet to write about them.

Yeh know the way de wemenz do be, wit de talkin teh earz off ye an all.

Ah love aint it grand.

Mesrine part 2
MesrinePublicEnemyNo1.jpg

A while back i reviewed Mesrine part 1. This is part 2 but because it's French they decided to include the number 1 in the title to fuck with us all. Thanks The French. Now as a film both parts are very well made and do a fine job of recreating the periods from the late 60s to the early 80s. It's cool, fast paced it's well acted and Vincent Cassel is excellent as the charismatic titular arch criminal. Plus every single actress in it is sexy as hell in that French as fuck way. You know that - even her breath in the morning stinking of cheese, wine and 50 gauloises would probably still be enough to drive you into a frenzy of erotic confusion as she drools on your pillow and thrashes around in her sleep while snoring and grinding her teeth kind of way ? Yeah ? That kind of sexy. Damn you frenchies!! you don't know how lucky you are you cheesey garlic.....ahem anyway. The only problem with Mesrine is nothing to do with the film or the film making. It's all extremely well made, hugely entertaining, well written, well directed. These are two very good films. The only issue is that Mesrine's life is so utterly insane that I felt at times that the film makers had to be making at least some of it up. and as such it felt a little over the top, Well... as it turns out they didn't have to make anything up. Mesrine really did most of the things depicted in the film. The only thing missing then is perhaps a certain degree of self awareness on behalf of the film makers to be able to make a nod to just how ridiculous some of the capers that Mesrine performed in real life were. In the end Mesrine himself comes across as a charasmatic, if unhinged figure who revels in his position as public enemy no 1 enjoyed his infamy, if ultimately his political beliefs were scetchy at best the film ceratinly does it's best to present a protrait of Frances Clyde and his many Bonnies which is as the least sympathetic if not fawning. In tone it's probably a bit too serious to make light of it's more ridiculous moments and as such while it works it doesn't quite satisfy as much as it could have. Definitely worth a look and definitely worth checking out Mesrines wiki page. A fucking loon.

Complience

compliance-poster.jpg

Sometimes (as with Mesrine above) a film actually tries to stick to the facts as much as possible and in doing so misses a huge opportunity to do something a little bit more interesting and affecting with the story it's trying to present. Complience tells the story of a prank phone call placed by a complete sociopath to a fast food outlet which led to ... eh ...well ...I don't want to give it away but suffice to say that this is one of those true stories that if someone told you in the street you'd laugh at them and tell them to fuck off stop lying and wasting my time you fat cunt!! but wait it's actually true. I looked it up it really is true.

What the film does is expose the inherent fear of / blind trust of authority that people feel and how when confronted with a situation in which they are told that someone else is in charge. How they will allow themselves to be railroaded by that authority figure no matter what thet figure tells them to do. To quote the Joker " No one gets alarmed when everything goes to plan, even if the plan is horrifying" Complience is an intersting film, it builds a feeling of unease, well, not nessicarily tension but a forboding and a feeling of frustration which keeps the viewer in a constant state of gripped horror. You want to walk into the film and slap sense into several characters, It's an oddly similar feeling the one you (or at least I) get during a horror movie in which you want to walk into the film and just say "just go out the front fucking door and run down the well lit road to the police station, not into the woods after your fucking dog you fucking idiot". While Complience works very well in creating this uneasy tone it unfortunately drops the ball in it's most important scene as having trapped you in one room for over an hour it then choses to cut away from the room as the particularly unsavoury events unfold. Thereby allowing what should be the confronatational climax of the film to slip through it's fingers as some of the most ill-conceived cut away shots ever committed to film occur and ruin what should be the films "big" moment. It's hard to discuss this without ruining the plot and chances are you probably won't be as annoyed as I am unless you're as big a fan of utterly horrible confrontational cinema as I am. Make no mistake this is a good film well acted deliberately paced and well directed. It's interesting and probably more admirable than enjoyable. In the end the film turns to cliches such as TV interviews with it's protagonists to voice their defense as to how they managed to be duped and unfortunately it all felt a little bit too staged for me. It's hard to imagine this happening anywhare else other than the USA where the fear of and ironically the unquestioning trust of the authorities make for uncomfortable food for thought. You get the feeling that the film would have been a lot shorter if it had been European where for the most part the popultion harbour a degree of mistrust for authorities Of course i could be wrong

Nearly a classic but not quite.

Holy Motors

l_2076220_65dd71bc.jpg

Holy Motors is madder than a bag of spiders. Anything i have to say about it won't do it justice. Simply put it;s a series of Surreal, funny, brilliantly acted vignettes. As a film it doesn't completely hang together but as an episodic collection of inventive insanity. It's a masterclass. Warm, touching and utterly French. Imagine Terry Gilliam remaking a Goddard movie. This is Highly recommended. Ah the French a great bunch of handballing bastards the lot of them.

More tommorrow.

good work!

last night i watched The Straight Story. i thought it was wonderful. Richard Farnsworth gives a beautifully measured, soulful performace in what would be his final role and the sight of Alvin Straight trundling down great American highways on his mower, next to swaying cornfields against a vast blue sky is a beautiful one indeed. terrific score too. a small masterpiece from Lynch.
the_straight_story.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back