What movie did you watch last night? (44 Viewers)

Picked up ENVY for a couple of bats.
Jack Black, funny. Ben Stiller, funny. Amy Pholer, funny. Christopher Walken, talented. Music by Mark Mothersburg. What could go wrong I thought?

Turns out everything can go wrong. Terrible.

Awful movie altogether. Blame the completely unfunny script that casting didn't help fix...

MPW-72656

Well, I thought it was deadly altogether - Like Dune it was a pain in the arse to get into, but once you do its fucking brilliant.

I can see exactly why it was hated & why it flopped - not a mainstream movie at all at all, but I loved it. Nice one Andrew.

The Angels Share. Latest film by Ken Loach. Surprisingly it is set in Glasgow and involves characters who are living on the margins of society. This time its a bunch of small time crooks who are on a community service scheme. My favourite was the girl who got the community service for trying to steal a Macaw, but the feathers were sticking out of her carrier bag. Four of them come up with a scheme to get rich quick...

Highly recommend it. ****

Is this four stars or are you just calling who ever's reading this a cunt?

Even The Rain. Film crew arrives in Bolivia to make a film about the early colonisation of Latin America. They recruit a local Indian to play a major part in the film. At the same time Water has been privatised and effectively sold to a multi-national. Indians are stopped from digging their own wells. All water must be bought from the Water company. This actually happened in 2000. The struggle against the multinationals parallels the making of the film.

Its a film about human beings though, no of cardboard cutouts. Four and a half Stars.

Tambien-La-Lluvia-Even-The-Rain-2010-SPANI-Front-Cover-58434.jpg

Just saw Moonrise Kingdom, which of course I knew I was going to like.
Very cute despite making me sad.
Actress looks (I know she isn't) like she could be the little sister of the chick from My Girl/ In the Loop.

Just saw Moonrise Kingdom, which of course I knew I was going to like.
Very cute despite making me sad.
Actress looks (I know she isn't) like she could be the little sister of the chick from My Girl/ In the Loop.

Saw this at the weekend and initially thought it was maybe too Wes Anderson for his own good. But it's really lingered with me. Very sweet and looked beautiful. The leading kids were great.

No, what kind of bird are.. you?

Saw this at the weekend and initially thought it was maybe too Wes Anderson for his own good. But it's really lingered with me. Very sweet and looked beautiful. The leading kids were great.

No, what kind of bird are.. you?

Yeah, I am sure many will fault it for being too Wes Anderson in style/look but what stuck me with this film was the frankness of the dialogue. There was no game playing. They said what they thought or felt without hesitation. That doesn't happen when you're an adult. I don't want to spoil anything by giving examples but it tugged at my heart strings, especially the letters. I could compile a huge list of simple actions in that film that made me sigh in a good way.

Yeah, I am sure many will fault it for being too Wes Anderson in style/look but what stuck me with this film was the frankness of the dialogue. There was no game playing. They said what they thought or felt without hesitation. That doesn't happen when you're an adult. I don't want to spoil anything by giving examples but it tugged at my heart strings, especially the letters. I could compile a huge list of simple actions in that film that made me sigh in a good way.

Yep at the start I was thinking this schtick's getting old but I really got into it as it went along.

Zidane
zidanemedium.jpg

Amid the cacophony of noise inside Bernabau stadium in Madrid an aging genius walks and mumbles his way through a boring, bad tempered, and poor quality football match watched from all angles by state of the art cameras and sound recording instruments. You watch him sweat and hear him breathe. He doesn't play particularly well but in it's 90 minutes of following his every move accompanied by a slight and somewhat lilting Mogwai score, the occasional flourish of cinematic beauty and subtitled quotes from man himself the effect becomes somewhat hypnotic. Zidane is a quiet soul one supposes, prone to moments of genius and violent outbursts, sure, but he speaks elequently and it's a fine aria to the beautiful game. Boring but hypnotic, like watching a 4-3 thriller of a match while on smack.

The French Connection.

french_connection.jpg

A true classic in every way. It looks great, the actings great, the directings great, the pace is perfect, the music is great it's grittier than a mint you get out of the bottom of your grannies purse, it is the perfect hard as coffin nails cop thriller. Basically it's the 2 hour 1970s equivalent of The Wire. Utterly brilliant. Should be seen by everyone who ever picked their feet.

Had this on DVD for about 3 or for years and never got around to watching it. Finally watched it last night after reading this. Yup, tis pretty damn brilliant. Nice WTF kind of ending too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back