What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

meh. it's nothing really.

poster1.jpg

Tarkovsky's "The Sacrifice" at the IFI yesterday. Couldn't do anything after cos life is shit and anyway we're all doomed.

Tarkovsky's "The Sacrifice" at the IFI yesterday. Couldn't do anything after cos life is shit and anyway we're all doomed.

Really brilliant film though-especially the opening half an hour. There was someting so serene and yet, unnerving about the bend of the grass by the wind.
I haven't watched it in a few years but I'm remember being deeply affected by it for a long time afterwards.
You can really sense Tarkovsky's anger at the world in it.

I saw No Country For Old Men today. I'm not really a Coens devotee (despite it not being what I'd consider to be a typical Coens film), it was alright.

Chigurgh is an idea of morality. Chigurgh is not meant to be a character in the *conventional* sense. He's an object of drama, a symbol. He doesn't change. Again, I reckon this is symbolic. In a fillum which can seem to be deliberately ambiguous, it's still clear that Chigurgh has a sort of moral code and that of all the characters in the film, his code is the most unflappable. Philosophically speaking, Chigurgh is the most perfect example of a moral code. He does at the end what he promises to do at the beginning. In certain terms, he is the most honest individual in the film.
What's hard to stomach here is that the honesty comes with so much darkness. In essence, if this is morality with honesty, then pure morality is too dark for normal people.

You want to reconsider?

I completely disagree with you on almost all of this. I enjoyed the film and felt it warrants repeated viewing. I don't think he set out to make the mother a "baddy" in this, as opposed to the Father in Squid and the Whale. That's just too simplistic and the film to me is more complex than that. She's an unlikeable character, but not a "bad" person as such. Her tragedy perhaps (if she has one) is being so self-absorbed that she can't see how unlikeable she is. Certainly some things didn't work (i.e. Jack's running away) but it did bring some light relief.

Watched Margot last night, finally.
Liked it a lot.
Very enjoyable, unlikeable characters.

Jack running away was a bit Benny Hill alright, but he was at a bit of a low ebb after tearfully confessing (but not underselling!) his big sin.
Ciaran Hinds is getting plenty of work, I see.

watched this last night:

poster_crash_movie.jpg

absolute horseshit. every single scene is "dealing with racism". the acting is as sludge as the role call would suggest (fraser, bullock etc.) in the first half hour every single scene contains the word black. most dialogue is characters reminding people what colour they are. ludacris is the most annoying character in a film ever. can't believe this took best film oscar a few years ago. and the final scene with the girl and her father.........fucking ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back