What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

Based on recommendations of several people, I watched the first series of Six Feet Under and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence a couple of nights ago.

SFU was pretty good, although I was expecting something better, based on all the hype it's gotten. The acting is excellent, but the storylines are a bit on the hackneyed side for my tastes. Does it get better? If that's the general consensus, I might get the second series from Laser. Otherwise, there are other things on my must-see list that I'll probably go after.

Saw the first GitS not too long after it came out in the US ('97ish, I think), and rewatched it again a few weeks back. It's one of my all-time favourite animated films, so maybe it's not surprising that I was a bit disappointed in the sequel. That the animation quality is great goes without saying, but I thought the cyberphilosophy which popped up as a matter of course in the first film (and in the original manga) came across as far too forced in Innocence, as if director Oshii was trying to show off how many books he'd read since he made the first one. Not to say I didn't like it, but I just felt it wasn't even close to being as good as the original.

seanc said:
Watchin Downfall. Pretty good, accurate in so far as I can tell. This Bruno Ganz chap is excellent.

It's chilling how much Hitler reminds me of my old Dunnes manager. Same walk, same mannerisms, same moustache, same voice, same propensity for nonsensical outbursts of rage. Seriously.

Watched godfatherIII last night, then a short film called wasp, then some Greek film, all on RTE2. Such is the life of a man with only rte2,tg4 and e4 tuned into his tv.

saw downfall in the cinema, fucked up but compelling viewing. Had recently finished 'albert speer-his battle with truth' by gita sler-something which featured interviews with many of the characters in the bunker and it was chilling to see them brought to life so accurately.
some of the scenes in the film, like the soldiers being awarded medals in the wrecked underground station filled with dead and dying civilians while the russians made bits of berlin above them were really sureal and striking

ratmonkey said:
Pumpkinhead on the Horror channel. Lance Henriksen was in it, which is always a good thing.

Have you seen 'Satans Little Helper' on the Horror Channel?
Hilarious :D

Day off today watched..

"brotherhood" korean war flick.Battle scenes were well slick..they story was way too stupid though with a twist that took ages to pan out even though you knew it was comming.worth a look if you have nothing else planned

also watched

"plague of zombies" hammer horrors only foray into the zombie genre. Doesn't get any better than this.Fake cornish village over un by really terribly unconvincing zombies.All the hammer stuff is reduced now in hmv (used to b crazy money to buy the back catalogue) so it's all good.

pete can we have an undead icon please?

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Deadly. Played this to some canucks aswell recently and they said it was way too true to life.

too right. the guy who talks about being attacked by the hawk in the meat factory is real, and he's worse than they are.

'turn up the good, turn down the suck'!!

After an afternoon of 24, Lost, CSI, CSI New York and Law & Order we had:

Firewall: Um i guess this one proves that even when the nerd talk is genuine it can sound totally made up. Oh and if anyone can explain how that whole fax / ipod thing was meant to have worked, let me know. 6.5/10

followed by

Lucky Number Slevin: A bit too derivative, a bit too predictable, but enjoyable all the same. 7/10

Went to see Paradise Now last night.

I thought it was really good although the sequence of events seemed too leading. Was great to see the locations used. and it was a refreshing "other angle" on the issue - it doesn't seek to teach politics although there is a constant refering to the suffering in palestine

also saw flightplan the other night - big mistake, fuck sake.

saw confetti last night - drivel
not as funny as i thought it would be and the sound was terrible
overall
dont pay to see it

just sat through 4.5 hours straight of dodge mini series The Triangle.

now, i like my sci fi with extra cheese, but oyyy

ah it wasn't so bad. 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back