What is evil? (1 Viewer)

you cant invent something thats an intrinsic part of a person.

looks like he's been fighting the love that dare not speak its name for the past 70 yrs (that whole summer camp thing), he'll know what i mean.

i was being subtle on the off chance the old guy read this (it could happen) but yes i was thinking the same thing.

say you did something without any bad intentions but something bad might have happened as a consequence, that couldnt be evil cos the intention was good, right?

Bah
I love this kind of conversation, pity I'm so busy in work and at home

I hope you're not talking about me - I use "hardwired" to mean something is pre-installed in our brains, and not something learned. No moral judgement one way or the other involved.

Of course it would. The whole idea of considering hardwired behaviours separately from learned ones is we can't get rid of the former, or somehow educate them out of people.

I find the whole thrust of your enquiry puzzling snaky. Wasn't it yourself, in a previous exchange on thumped, that made me realise that, on top of whatever hard-wired ethics we have evolved to have, everyone has some fundamental priority list they base their moral framework on? Are you now seriously looking for some sort of moral absolute?

damn, I can't access thumped for the last few days so I've missed all this -- but I don't remember convincing you of anything, egg!

I'm looking for the truth is what I'm looking for.

I'll get back to you on this one, though.

Haven't you read the thread dude? It couldn't be evil because there is no such thing as evil
yea i getcha, i wasnt making a whole lot of sense there. what i was getting at was more is its the intention or the result that makes what someone does good or bad? (gonna leave evil out of this)

yea i getcha, i wasnt making a whole lot of sense there. what i was getting at was more is its the intention or the result that makes what someone does good or bad? (gonna leave evil out of this)

Teleological or consequentialist theories of ethics focus on the results (the ends justify the means), and deontological ethics is more about whether the actions or intentions are right or wrong. Neither way is right, you can always imagine a situation that throws a spanner in the works.

It's all a big money racket anyway.

true, there's also aristotle's theory that virtue is a learned habit instead of something intrinsic, so you can question if there are any truely good people or did they just learn quickly.
its all kinda bollox, like the question of weither anything can be totally altroistic, does it matter a whole lot if someone gets something out of helping others, once they do it in the first place?

dont know if fairness comes into it, but it does suggest that there really is no such thing as true altruism. we always get something out of helping, could be to relieve guilt, feel superior, show that we can financially afford to be generous, so others think well of us etc etc. it doesnt really matter if they get more out of it, just once they do it.

What about if you get more from helping someone than they actually get? Is that fair?
Every time I met a missionary while on my travels I always
thought "Would you bother if you didn't think it would help
you get into heaven?".
I never said it to them though, I'm sure a lot of them would.
I met a good few doctors too. I'd say after the things they've
seen they either don't believe in god or they loathe the prick -
and they're not in it for the bling, so they must be a decent bunch.

im amazed there are still people who travel to poor places to try to spread christianity, its seems like such an 1800s thing to do, its almost quaint. the only ones i encountered who were really getting off on the whole bringing the good news buzz were young wans though, i'd say priests and nuns who spend a long time in places working with communities and trying to help them are more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back