What is evil? (3 Viewers)

Bah
I love this kind of conversation, pity I'm so busy in work and at home

People use this term "hardwired" a lot, as some kind of comfort
I hope you're not talking about me - I use "hardwired" to mean something is pre-installed in our brains, and not something learned. No moral judgement one way or the other involved.

My computer here has the folder "Windows" hardwired (I guess, I'm no computer guy) into its folder structure ... And if I deleted it, would it not have a profound and devastating effect on the functioning, ability, and identity of the computer?
Of course it would. The whole idea of considering hardwired behaviours separately from learned ones is we can't get rid of the former, or somehow educate them out of people.

I find the whole thrust of your enquiry puzzling snaky. Wasn't it yourself, in a previous exchange on thumped, that made me realise that, on top of whatever hard-wired ethics we have evolved to have, everyone has some fundamental priority list they base their moral framework on? Are you now seriously looking for some sort of moral absolute?

Take nature: The brutal attack of a chimpanzee on another, and the pleasure taken in this, is regarded as an act of nature, pure and brutal--and neither good nor evil.

You could say "what's the difference?" That is the attitude of the neocons: "We are a warlike people", i.e., we may as well accept it, that's nature.
Just because it's the attitude of people we don't like doesn't mean it's the wrong attitude

And here's the difference - we want good lives for ourselves and people who we consider to be our brethren. We don't really give a shit about chimps being mean to each other

what if there is some ultimate morality that mankind is working towards (kinda platos theory of the forms thing) and anything that goes against this progression is classified as evil?

really? i quite like thinking i can be an abomination of nature without any effort atall.

what if there is some ultimate morality that mankind is working towards (kinda platos theory of the forms thing) and anything that goes against this progression is classified as evil?

Plato's theory of the forms can kiss my toot

On a related note:
66390.gif

if i remember my plato stuff he'd have liked to do that.

yea its a bit messed up, perfect table floating out there and all.
his republic was messed up too, the state being your parent, people made of different metals and rigged reproduction lottery. his cave analogy was great tho, nothing like making philosophy students feel superior to insure your popularity. cant remember the name of my favourite greek philosopher or any of his ideas but he lived in a barrel on the main st, flung his crap at the nobles and organised mass orgies in public places. fun guy.

that pretty much it, he never seemed to get that some people have minds of their own and wont do what someone tells them to cos they're the head guy for the moment.
i do like the idea of all these perfect forms of everything just beyond our grasp and try as we might (most likely) we'll never create anythig a good as it.
cant remember where maths and logic fitted into it, is it possible to have a btter 4 then we have? (ah if only i hadnt failed logic)

platos god was omnipotent and omnipresent but didnt care about us atall, just there doing its thing, aristotle's god was a bit more people friendly but as his work was lost and then banned (when found, no point banning something if you dont know where it is) till st thomas aquinas tweeked it a bit. aristotle rocked.

ok then im just gonna go invent a whole new form of sexuality. . oh wait i cant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back