What gig did you go to last night? (9 Viewers)

Enjoyed the walkmen. They took a few songs to hit their stride but they were great when they got there.
How did Almost Nothing go down if you saw them? Their stuff sounds a bit generic and inoffensive but I'm a sucker for anything related to Idlewild.

Anyway work finished early and I still don't want to go into the pub but I walk past a mate who is hiding in the beer garden because he can't take this electric cello, electric violin, bass and drums band onstage, all the pedals in the world. I said oh shit that's (new mates) band, who I haven't seen. Glad I caught a few minutes of them. I can't say much about it, but the crowd fucking loved it. And it was a full room. Not just the band's friends, but even the old boys at the back of the room liked it.

Good thing work finished early. I was sure I'd have had to miss them.

I went to see Cry Before Dawn in the Ballykeefe amphitheatre in Kilkenny.

I loved these when I was a kid and its only the second time I've gotten to see them (the first being at EP a few years ago).

They were great. Really tight, and still talent to burn. Its a mystery how they didn't go on to be huge, especially considering they never fell out with each other.

The venue is one of the nicest I've ever been in. Real bang of Red Rocks off it (yes, I've been in Red Rocks). We can't have too many natural amphitheatres in Ireland so its a wonder its not better known or more heavily used.

Anyway, there were a series of gigs on there over the summer. As you'd imagine, in a place like Kilkenny, it was a mixture of retro acts, and ABBA and Gareth Brookes tribute acts. They know their audience. Its a volunteer run thing, with sponsors footing the money for hosting the gigs. I'm tempted to get involved to see if I can get them to put on a festival of fucks - fucking champs, holy fuck, fuck buttons, fucked up. The locals will love it.

That venue in Ballykeefe is amazing. Been there a few times, including Villagers last summer.

I don't know who books it, but the line-up is usually pretty dire, which is a shame.

That venue in Ballykeefe is amazing. Been there a few times, including Villagers last summer.

I don't know who books it, but the line-up is usually pretty dire, which is a shame.
I was trying to find this out and it appears like it literally is just the parish committee from the nearby parish.

Its not really run as a commercial venue. It could be that its a bit too far away from town to make the effort not worth their while.

What I know about the place is that its a former quarry. The current setup was built by a local builder to be used pretty much as it is, as something for the local community. But they have something very special on their hands there.

I guess someone could try and convince them to book some acts there, but they'd have to pay a load more people to run the place.

There also wasn't a single cop there. I guess thats because of there being a certain, unofficial, level of trust being in place, but also the nature of the acts that were booked. They aren't exactly for the young folk.

Edit: heres their website

My brother had a spare ticket for boygenius in Kilmainham last night. I went along not knowing anything by them. Have to say they were fantastic. Brilliant musicians, great voices, really enjoyed the whole thing. So many great tunes as well. It was also the first gig that I’ve been at in a long time where there was a load of young people who were really into the band, so the atmosphere was brilliant as well.

My brother had a spare ticket for boygenius in Kilmainham last night. I went along not knowing anything by them. Have to say they were fantastic. Brilliant musicians, great voices, really enjoyed the whole thing. So many great tunes as well. It was also the first gig that I’ve been at in a long time where there was a load of young people who were really into the band, so the atmosphere was brilliant as well.
I thought we had established that going to see someone who dumped Paul Mescal was unpatriotic?

I went to a tribute to Pecker Dunne at Smithfield Fleadh.

Hit and miss

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back