What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

"Post Office" by Buchkowski.First book of his I ever read and wont be the last.Probably gonna start Ham on Rye tommorrow.

Reading White Stripes and The Mutant Blues at the mo.Deadly because its not just about them but more of a history of all the Detroit bands of the last 15 years or so.Everett True penned it.

I read "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry for the 2nd time.
honestly if you havent read it you should.....it'll be up for a 3rd read in a few months.

Michel Houellebecq - Against the World, Against Life

I hate Houellebecq. A lot. I have a number of detailed and specific issues with his works, yet I own all his books, and usually buy them as soon as they're released.

*sigh

Anyway, It has 2 HP Lovecraft short stories with Cthulhu in them, so that redeems it somewhat.

ICUH8N said:
Michel Houellebecq - Against the World, Against Life

I hate Houellebecq. A lot. I have a number of detailed and specific issues with his works, yet I own all his books, and usually buy them as soon as they're released.

*sigh

Anyway, It has 2 HP Lovecraft short stories with Cthulhu in them, so that redeems it somewhat.
i just read Atomised, because a lot of people were giving out about it. it was alright, reasonably enjoyable but nothing special.

just finished The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster, which was v. v. good and highly recommended. about to start into Oracle Night. high hopes.

also working my way (slowly) through
Djuna Barnes 'Nightwood' (for college, it's painful)
Inga Muscio 'Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil'
Natalie Angier 'Woman: An Intimate Geography'.

About a third of the way through 'Dance Dance Dance' by Haruki Murakami. It's keeping me entertained so far, though I'm starting to think that he writes essentially the same book every time. I liked 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' and 'Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' but it's pretty obvious at this stage that he constantly re-uses the same characters and plot devices. Still, there's enough to differentiate them from each other so I'd recommend all of them if you like one.

About 'At Swim Two Birds', some of the abject silliness \ surrealism is a bit much but it's worth it for the comedy, especially the pisstakery of the ancient Gaelic mythic style of writing.

0099267594.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have been reading a load of trashy thriller type fluff for the purposes of calming my brane and de-stressing, but also finished Zadie Smiths new one last week. Oh dear. It starts off well, I had hopes for it after the travesty that was the Autograph Man, but the last part of the book is rushed and thoughtless, nothing is properly developed or explored (and I know obviously sometimes the genius lies in what's NOT said, but implied) but that isn't the case with this - or I didn't find it to be so. Really disappointing.

American Hardcore: A Tribal History - Steve Blush

Great book. Very detailed. Loads of great quotes from McKaye, Rollins, Jello etc.

Richie said:
About 'At Swim Two Birds', some of the abject silliness \ surrealism is a bit much but it's worth it for the comedy, especially the pisstakery of the ancient Gaelic mythic style of writing.
H'mm...I actually found the Gaelic stuff quite tiresome...I kinda had got the message by the fourth or fifth page of it like...finished The 3rd Policeman, actually had quite a good ending, but still, the nonsense made it hard to care about...oh and the writing was full of clichés..."chilled me to the bone", that sort of thing...how people can claim he woulda made Joyce envious is beyant me (before I be accussed of being pretentious, I'll admit I've only read one Joyce buke).

But Nabokov...now *there's* a man what can use the English language...:heart: :heart: :heart:

Am reading 'Dead Souls' by Nikolai Gogol. Before that i read 'Diary of a Madman and other Stories' by the same guy. He's yet another (ahem) talented former civil servant (flann o'brien, melville, cervantes). Pete, fancy a hi-five?

I'd like to read some more Nabokov - have only read Lolita.

Jimmy Magee said:
H'mm...I actually found the Gaelic stuff quite tiresome...I kinda had got the message by the fourth or fifth page of it like...finished The 3rd Policeman, actually had quite a good ending, but still, the nonsense made it hard to care about...oh and the writing was full of clichés..."chilled me to the bone", that sort of thing...how people can claim he woulda made Joyce envious is beyant me (before I be accussed of being pretentious, I'll admit I've only read one Joyce buke)

Actually it was Joyce himself who said he was jealous.

The poor mouth is a really funny send-up.

Jimmy Magee said:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: This is magic, tragic and comedic in equal measure. The Overcoat is also great. I must get Dead Souls offa you. I've totally neglected Gogol, he's a delight.

!bog

Turgenev is also on my list of Russians I'd like to read.

Jimmy Magee said:
Who's it about?
i've read it too!

it's about paul erdős - crazy hungarian mathematician and all-round old-school mad professor, literally.

paul watts has an erdős number of three!

i'll let buzzo explain what that means.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Am reading 'Dead Souls' by Nikolai Gogol. Before that i read 'Diary of a Madman and other Stories' by the same guy. He's yet another (ahem) talented former civil servant (flann o'brien, melville, cervantes). Pete, fancy a hi-five?

I'd like to read some more Nabokov - have only read Lolita.

"Ada, or Ardor" is excellent, but it's tough going.

Zeelander said:
Currently coming to the end of Money by Martin Amis. First of his work that I've read and I'm really enjoying it.

I loved Money, but I haven't gotten around to reading anything else by Amis yet.

Currently reading Simone De Beauvoir's The Mandarins for bookclub and Salman Rushdie's Shalimar the Clown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back