What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Read the Wasp Factory by Iain Banks last night.

A baby with no skull and maggots eating it's brain being one of the many highlights.

I'm reading a book called BULLY at the moment. Its a true story set in America where a group of teenagers get revenge on a bully by murdering him. Its very interesting but I'm not mad about the writers style. Can't recall his name at the mo. This book has been made into a film by the same guy who directed 'KIDS' as far as I know. Has anyone seen the film BULLY? Any good?

I just finished The Tax Inspector by Peter Carey. Its very dark and twisted,angry and so well written. Traumatic ending, I had to force myself to keep reading, but worth it.

Now reading Winter by Ursula le Guin. Not sure what I think yet.

Splurged in Waterstones today, got The Satanic Verses, Cloud Atlas and a Noam Chomsky interviews thing.

coraline said:
I just finished The Tax Inspector by Peter Carey. Its very dark and twisted,angry and so well written. Traumatic ending, I had to force myself to keep reading, but worth it.

Now reading Winter by Ursula le Guin. Not sure what I think yet.

Splurged in Waterstones today, got The Satanic Verses, Cloud Atlas and a Noam Chomsky interviews thing.

the ursula le guin is called the left hand of darkness, not winter...

Currently leafing through JM Coetzee's Disgrace. From what I can make it out so far, it's about a South African David Mellor.

Just started a H.P. lovecraft anthology that ive had a lend of for months but never got around to.

Finished Women during the week by Charles Buckowski. Good but not as good as Factotum or Post Office. Starting Ham on Rye when I get a chance.

Audiodelic said:
Yep, sounds like the one I did, just with different texts. Honestly stick with Nightwood, it's very hard to get in to but I think it's very under-rated.

Any other interesting courses on the MA?
i've read it one and a half times now and it's still WRECKING my HEAD. some deadly courses on the masters.. one called 'modern and postmodern fiction' that i'm really looking forward to.. it's got paul auster and a.s. byatt and lyn hejinian (who is IMPOSSIBLE to read) and bobbie ann mason (who is great). and there's a practical course on editing modern texts that i'm looking forward to as well. yay!

boigaz said:
I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.
Reading this at the mo and really really really enjoying it. I wish I owned a typewriter. I wish my parents hadn't thrown it out. Why not just leave it int he attic.... anyway Hunter is a man I admire. His writing is good even before he goes gonzo. Also this acts as a peculiar kind of biography/autobiography.

That's funny, I'm reading the screenplay to Ulysses 31

Ulysses: My son!
Youngfleh: Father!
Crew: .......
Ulysses: My son!
Youngfleh: Father!
Crew: .......

etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back