What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

chutneyfarmer

Roight, I know theres "best books" and "must read" threads at the mo, but what are you folks currently reading, eh?

My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.

I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.

I'm reading Martin Amis' The Information.

Harry Potter is to follow. And then that book Longtitude.

Have just finished Shuttlecock, Ever After and The Light of Day from Graham Swift.
None of them stand out from the others, but they all have some excellent passages.

Currently, my passage isn't so excellent.

boigaz said:
I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.

Saw this in work the other day. Thinking of picking it up. Should I get some of his other books first though?

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.

Great read a bit depressing in bits. Tis true tales of his poverty in guess where?
Read 1984 a few weeks back for the first time so now I'm a wee bit obsessed and have to read all.

chutneyfarmer said:
My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.

Thats very very odd cause i just finished Haunted last night!!!! moving onto Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris now !

currently reading "breaking open the head" by Daniel Pinchbeck, accounts of experiences exploring first hand the effects of psychedelic substances, including ibogaine (fascinating! -this substance may prove to be of immense healing value to humanity), psilocybin and DPT. unlike almost every other book about drugs, this is actually well written, intelligent and interesting.

as mentioned elsewhere, finished burrough's "the cat inside", which has become one of my favorite books ever. its a very warm and human book.

started reading "the radioactive boy scout", but put it down a few days ago. must return to it.

Zeelander said:
Currently coming to the end of Money by Martin Amis. First of his work that I've read and I'm really enjoying it. How's yours Billy?

Haven't read Money yet.

I've only read three of his books. London Fields is hilarious and you should read it. Time's Arrow is very well written and is also highly recommended. Success is okay... not nearly as good as his later works.

So far (only a few pages in), The Information seems like a good laugh. But he does stick to a very particular style and all his cynicism could give you a pretty unhealthy view of the world.

Still, his characters are the best. Gregory Riding in Success - a foppish dandy who spends most of his time going to orgies.
And Nicola Six - cworrrr!

MacFlecknoe said:
Haven't read Money yet.

I've only read three of his books. London Fields is hilarious and you should read it. Time's Arrow is very well written and is also highly recommended. Success is okay... not nearly as good as his later works.

I think I'll have to read London Fields next, as a couple of others have mentioned it to me. I'd definitely recommend Money- it's a tale of urban excess told through the eyes of a repulsive, money-hungry pervert who is ultimately quite likeable! One of the characters in the book is a wimpy novelist called Martin Amis too. Good shit, very funny.

carcass said:
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.

Great read a bit depressing in bits. Tis true tales of his poverty in guess where?
Read 1984 a few weeks back for the first time so now I'm a wee bit obsessed and have to read all.
Love that book. If you've not done so, read 'Homage to Catalonia'. Similar sort of feel to it, but based in civil war-time Spain. George Orwell is brilliant.

you know london fields was the main influence for damon albarn when he was writing the lyrics for 'parklife'?true story

Zeelander said:
I think I'll have to read London Fields next, as a couple of others have mentioned it to me. I'd definitely recommend Money- it's a tale of urban excess told through the eyes of a repulsive, money-hungry pervert who is ultimately quite likeable! One of the characters in the book is a wimpy novelist called Martin Amis too. Good shit, very funny.

boigaz said:
Love that book. If you've not done so, read 'Homage to Catalonia'. Similar sort of feel to it, but based in civil war-time Spain. George Orwell is brilliant.

Thats waiting on my bedside table for me. Think I might take a break and read something a bit different so I dont go into over-kill

I just finished a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus by P. G. Wodehouse. T'was brilliant and really funny! I miss it now.
I'm reading a different book by him now called Indiscretions of Archie but it's not the same. I miss the lads!

frona said:
I just finished a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus by P. G. Wodehouse. T'was brilliant and really funny! I miss it now.
I'm reading a different book by him now called Indiscretions of Archie but it's not the same. I miss the lads!

I know exactly what you mean. I read that omnibus in about two weeks once, then tried to recapture the same feeling by reading other funny stuff but you just can't replace it. Wodehouse was a master. Ever read Saki?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back