1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Book Did You Read Last Night???

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Culture' started by chutneyfarmer, Jul 5, 2005.

1. chutneyfarmer

chutneyfarmer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Ratings:
    +540 / 2 / -0
    Roight, I know theres "best books" and "must read" threads at the mo, but what are you folks currently reading, eh?

My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.

2. egg_

egg_ Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Nov 15, 1999
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 8 / -0
    I finished "Brideshead Revisited" a couple of days ago - very good, well worth a read

3. shidheat

shidheat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Ratings:
    +590 / 16 / -0
    I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.

4. billygannon

billygannon Well-Known Member Contributor

Apr 7, 2001
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 2 / -0
    I'm reading Martin Amis' The Information.

Harry Potter is to follow. And then that book Longtitude.

Have just finished Shuttlecock, Ever After and The Light of Day from Graham Swift.
    None of them stand out from the others, but they all have some excellent passages.

Currently, my passage isn't so excellent.

5. chutneyfarmer

chutneyfarmer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Ratings:
    +540 / 2 / -0
    Saw this in work the other day. Thinking of picking it up. Should I get some of his other books first though?

6. carcass

carcass New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.

Great read a bit depressing in bits. Tis true tales of his poverty in guess where?
    Read 1984 a few weeks back for the first time so now I'm a wee bit obsessed and have to read all.

7. ms.b.haven

ms.b.haven (Retired)

Jul 1, 2004
    Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    nearly finished Dean Koontz "Ligthning" very good

8. nofriendo

nofriendo Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Ratings:
    +614 / 0 / -0
    Thats very very odd cause i just finished Haunted last night!!!! moving onto Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris now !

9. Zeelander

Zeelander New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0
    Currently coming to the end of Money by Martin Amis. First of his work that I've read and I'm really enjoying it. How's yours Billy?

10. BC

BC New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Ratings:
    +932 / 0 / -0
    currently reading "breaking open the head" by Daniel Pinchbeck, accounts of experiences exploring first hand the effects of psychedelic substances, including ibogaine (fascinating! -this substance may prove to be of immense healing value to humanity), psilocybin and DPT. unlike almost every other book about drugs, this is actually well written, intelligent and interesting.

as mentioned elsewhere, finished burrough's "the cat inside", which has become one of my favorite books ever. its a very warm and human book.

started reading "the radioactive boy scout", but put it down a few days ago. must return to it.

11. billygannon

billygannon Well-Known Member Contributor

Apr 7, 2001
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 2 / -0
    Haven't read Money yet.

I've only read three of his books. London Fields is hilarious and you should read it. Time's Arrow is very well written and is also highly recommended. Success is okay... not nearly as good as his later works.

So far (only a few pages in), The Information seems like a good laugh. But he does stick to a very particular style and all his cynicism could give you a pretty unhealthy view of the world.

Still, his characters are the best. Gregory Riding in Success - a foppish dandy who spends most of his time going to orgies.
    And Nicola Six - cworrrr!

12. Zeelander

Zeelander New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0
    I think I'll have to read London Fields next, as a couple of others have mentioned it to me. I'd definitely recommend Money- it's a tale of urban excess told through the eyes of a repulsive, money-hungry pervert who is ultimately quite likeable! One of the characters in the book is a wimpy novelist called Martin Amis too. Good shit, very funny.

13. oh shit

oh shit Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Ratings:
    +1,442 / 3 / -0
    Currently reading 'Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History' by Peter Shapiro. Good stuff

14. shidheat

shidheat Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Ratings:
    +590 / 16 / -0
    Love that book. If you've not done so, read 'Homage to Catalonia'. Similar sort of feel to it, but based in civil war-time Spain. George Orwell is brilliant.

15. oh shit

oh shit Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Ratings:
    +1,442 / 3 / -0
    i meant 'the secret history of disco'
    how odd...

disco doesn't suck!

16. Catwoman

Catwoman Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    I'm reading A Handful of Dust. Also a good read.

17. hermie

hermie Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2003
    Ratings:
    +1,409 / 12 / -0
    you know london fields was the main influence for damon albarn when he was writing the lyrics for 'parklife'?true story

18. carcass

carcass New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Thats waiting on my bedside table for me. Think I might take a break and read something a bit different so I dont go into over-kill

19. frona

frona Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I just finished a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus by P. G. Wodehouse. T'was brilliant and really funny! I miss it now.
    I'm reading a different book by him now called Indiscretions of Archie but it's not the same. I miss the lads!

• Like Like x 1
  20. snakybus

snakybus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Ratings:
    +1,473 / 5 / -0
    I know exactly what you mean. I read that omnibus in about two weeks once, then tried to recapture the same feeling by reading other funny stuff but you just can't replace it. Wodehouse was a master. Ever read Saki?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted