What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

Thread starter #1

chutneyfarmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Messages
4,487
Website
www.thehollowsmusic.com
Roight, I know theres "best books" and "must read" threads at the mo, but what are you folks currently reading, eh?

My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.
 

shidheat

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
1,970
Location
dublin
I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.
 

billygannon

Well-Known Member
Contributor
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
13,259
Location
Dublin
I'm reading Martin Amis' The Information.

Harry Potter is to follow. And then that book Longtitude.

Have just finished Shuttlecock, Ever After and The Light of Day from Graham Swift.
None of them stand out from the others, but they all have some excellent passages.

Currently, my passage isn't so excellent.
 
Thread starter #5

chutneyfarmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Messages
4,487
Website
www.thehollowsmusic.com
boigaz said:
I'm reading "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson, which is a collection of letters that he wrote to people between 1955 and 1967. It's not a bad read.
Saw this in work the other day. Thinking of picking it up. Should I get some of his other books first though?
 

carcass

New Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
516
Location
joyous mountains of nowhere
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.

Great read a bit depressing in bits. Tis true tales of his poverty in guess where?
Read 1984 a few weeks back for the first time so now I'm a wee bit obsessed and have to read all.
 

nofriendo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
5,496
chutneyfarmer said:
My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.
Thats very very odd cause i just finished Haunted last night!!!! moving onto Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris now !
 

BC

New Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
3,691
Website
brianconniffe.blogspot.com
currently reading "breaking open the head" by Daniel Pinchbeck, accounts of experiences exploring first hand the effects of psychedelic substances, including ibogaine (fascinating! -this substance may prove to be of immense healing value to humanity), psilocybin and DPT. unlike almost every other book about drugs, this is actually well written, intelligent and interesting.

as mentioned elsewhere, finished burrough's "the cat inside", which has become one of my favorite books ever. its a very warm and human book.

started reading "the radioactive boy scout", but put it down a few days ago. must return to it.
 

billygannon

Well-Known Member
Contributor
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
13,259
Location
Dublin
Zeelander said:
Currently coming to the end of Money by Martin Amis. First of his work that I've read and I'm really enjoying it. How's yours Billy?
Haven't read Money yet.

I've only read three of his books. London Fields is hilarious and you should read it. Time's Arrow is very well written and is also highly recommended. Success is okay... not nearly as good as his later works.

So far (only a few pages in), The Information seems like a good laugh. But he does stick to a very particular style and all his cynicism could give you a pretty unhealthy view of the world.

Still, his characters are the best. Gregory Riding in Success - a foppish dandy who spends most of his time going to orgies.
And Nicola Six - cworrrr!
 

Zeelander

New Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
3,270
Location
In the computer. It's so simple..
Website
www.myspace.com
MacFlecknoe said:
Haven't read Money yet.

I've only read three of his books. London Fields is hilarious and you should read it. Time's Arrow is very well written and is also highly recommended. Success is okay... not nearly as good as his later works.
I think I'll have to read London Fields next, as a couple of others have mentioned it to me. I'd definitely recommend Money- it's a tale of urban excess told through the eyes of a repulsive, money-hungry pervert who is ultimately quite likeable! One of the characters in the book is a wimpy novelist called Martin Amis too. Good shit, very funny.
 

shidheat

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jan 16, 2004
Messages
1,970
Location
dublin
carcass said:
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.

Great read a bit depressing in bits. Tis true tales of his poverty in guess where?
Read 1984 a few weeks back for the first time so now I'm a wee bit obsessed and have to read all.
Love that book. If you've not done so, read 'Homage to Catalonia'. Similar sort of feel to it, but based in civil war-time Spain. George Orwell is brilliant.
 

hermie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
5,685
Location
blemmer
Website
Visit site
you know london fields was the main influence for damon albarn when he was writing the lyrics for 'parklife'?true story



Zeelander said:
I think I'll have to read London Fields next, as a couple of others have mentioned it to me. I'd definitely recommend Money- it's a tale of urban excess told through the eyes of a repulsive, money-hungry pervert who is ultimately quite likeable! One of the characters in the book is a wimpy novelist called Martin Amis too. Good shit, very funny.
 

carcass

New Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
516
Location
joyous mountains of nowhere
boigaz said:
Love that book. If you've not done so, read 'Homage to Catalonia'. Similar sort of feel to it, but based in civil war-time Spain. George Orwell is brilliant.
Thats waiting on my bedside table for me. Think I might take a break and read something a bit different so I dont go into over-kill
 

frona

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
1,423
Location
Cricklewood
I just finished a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus by P. G. Wodehouse. T'was brilliant and really funny! I miss it now.
I'm reading a different book by him now called Indiscretions of Archie but it's not the same. I miss the lads!
 

snakybus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2001
Messages
12,060
Location
Dublin
Website
www.groomtheband.com
frona said:
I just finished a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus by P. G. Wodehouse. T'was brilliant and really funny! I miss it now.
I'm reading a different book by him now called Indiscretions of Archie but it's not the same. I miss the lads!
I know exactly what you mean. I read that omnibus in about two weeks once, then tried to recapture the same feeling by reading other funny stuff but you just can't replace it. Wodehouse was a master. Ever read Saki?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top