What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

Super Dexta said:
also working my way (slowly) through
Djuna Barnes 'Nightwood' (for college, it's painful)

I really liked that book, but it's quite bizarre and difficult to get in to isn't it? Is it by any chance on a course with either Lolly Willowes (Syliva Townsend Warner), Orlando (Woolf) or The Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter?

i'm currently in the midst of 'Shout- the true story of the beatles' by Philip Norman. My love of rock biographies compelled me towards this and its actually pretty good..they were all such cunts tho!!and im glad that it gives details about John Lennon giving Brian Epstein a hand job..cos im not sure that i could have lived without those facts;)

nEiLo said:
"Love in the time of cholera" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez... unless this has a gammy ending, it could be my favourite book ever.

Nah it's deadly. Won't let you down. His autobiography is really worth reading as well.

shakira's arse by JR Hartley

Shakira%2009.GIF

tom. said:
i've read it too!

it's about paul erdős - crazy hungarian mathematician and all-round old-school mad professor, literally.

paul watts has an erdős number of three!

i'll let buzzo explain what that means.
Mmm, sounds good. This guy's still the coolest mathematician ever though, or at least has the coolest life story...which actually says how crap most mathematicians are

Audiodelic said:
I really liked that book, but it's quite bizarre and difficult to get in to isn't it? Is it by any chance on a course with either Lolly Willowes (Syliva Townsend Warner), Orlando (Woolf) or The Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter?
i'm glad somebody liked it.. it gives me a bit more hope that i'll finally get into it if i keep reading it! it's on a course called 'theories of modern literature' which i'm doing as part of a modern english MA.. it's just 'nightwood' and 'the waste land' and a big fecking heap of theoretical texts. i did do a course kind of like the one you're describing in my final year of undergrad english.. it was called 'gender, modernism and postmodernism' and it had virginia woolf (to the lighthouse) and angela carter (wise children) and jeanette winterson (the passion) and loads of stuff like that. that was a great course.

finished h.s. thompson's "rum diary" a little while ago. very entertaining... he wrote it when he was 22, excellent stuff. currently re-reading burrough's "junky", wonderfully clear-eyed.

kinda reading pale fire by nabokov at the moment. I read a good chunk of it then put it down cos I didn't have any time to read it. So then I started reading the Watchmen, a graphic novel about superheroes-if-they-were-real-in-dystopian-Richard-Nixon-still-President-1980s...very very good!

I must get back to Pale Fire. I read Lolita and Pnin before, both of which were great, but found Bend Sinister too grey and unpaletteable, a realy chore to read, so I've left that aside for a while.

Also, whoever was talking about Love in the Time of Cholera - the ending won't let you down. Its deadly. A very good book.

I just started Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Anyone else read this?

I'm liking it so far though as I only manage to get time for about 10 minutes reading per day I reckon it'll take me several months to get through the 1000+ pages ....

coast to coast said:
I must get back to Pale Fire. I read Lolita and Pnin before, both of which were great, but found Bend Sinister too grey and unpaletteable, a realy chore to read, so I've left that aside for a while.
You know those drill-type rotary wire brushes? Take the time to finish 'Bend sinister' and you'll feel like someone rammed one of those up yr 'soul.
Lordy-----------
I wasn't quite right for a while after it.

"Mysteries" by Knut Hamsen. Which is one of the most original novels I've ever read and will definitely read again.

currently in the middle of three books (all of which i reasd at least a chapther of last night). they are:

scott adams - dilbert and the way of the weasel
leo tolstoy - ressurection
gabriel garcia marquez - in evil hour

cyclotron said:
"Mysteries" by Knut Hamsen. Which is one of the most original novels I've ever read and will definitely read again.

Ditto on that one - incredible book.

chickenham said:
You know those drill-type rotary wire brushes? Take the time to finish 'Bend sinister' and you'll feel like someone rammed one of those up yr 'soul.
Lordy-----------
I wasn't quite right for a while after it.
You mean it blew your mind, or it was shite? I've just started it...seems pretty good so far

Read a Joe Orton play there last night. '' THe Ruffian on the Stairs'' If I hadnt kinda known what 'ol joe was like before reading it i woulda been fucking baffled.
its ruddy bloody good though

Super Dexta said:
i did do a course kind of like the one you're describing in my final year of undergrad english.. it was called 'gender, modernism and postmodernism' and it had virginia woolf (to the lighthouse) and angela carter (wise children) and jeanette winterson (the passion) and loads of stuff like that. that was a great course.

Yep, sounds like the one I did, just with different texts. Honestly stick with Nightwood, it's very hard to get in to but I think it's very under-rated.

Any other interesting courses on the MA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back