What’s the steepest hill in Dublin? (1 Viewer)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
What is the steepest hill in Dublin?
Is there a hill you really hate cycling up? Or one that’s an utter slog just to walk up.
I know we don’t have St. Patrick’s Hill like Cork, but what do we have?

This is for a thing.

Also, does Dublin have any significant run of public steps?
Maybe not quite as severe as the Joker stairs, but that idea.

Also for a thing. The same thing.

I thought there was a pre-existing “Ask Thumped” thread – but this seems to be it.

Thanks!

i suspect the right hand turn at the church in howth village (i.e. go right at the church rather than staying left up to the summit) must have one of the steepest hills in dublin, i think it's about 20% at one point.

kilmashogue lane also has some bastard hard sections, i reckon that's the hardest climb i've tried on the bike in dublin - i've done it three times and have not made it to the top without stopping.

i suspect the right hand turn at the church in howth village (i.e. go right at the church rather than staying left up to the summit) must have one of the steepest hills in dublin, i think it's about 20% at one point.

kilmashogue lane also has some bastard hard sections, i reckon that's the hardest climb i've tried on the bike in dublin - i've done it three times and have not made it to the top without stopping.
Fucking Howth - of course!

Thank you

Animated GIF

Thank you, man

another one is from Glenasmole to Military road. One of the most beautiful climbs you'll ever do but an absolute leg-breaker. Its a tricky one to give directions to - go by Bohernabreena cemetary, turn right at the top of the hill, go by Glenasmole school, take the next right dropping down towards the reservoir, then there's a left turn that starts at about 20% for 200m or so and stays above 8% most of the way to the top.

kilmashogue is a bastard though because it's a dead end so you have to turn around and go back down the way you came. but because it's twisty with poor sight lines, you can't just let the bike go underneath you, you're back on the brakes a lot.

there's a section I used to use mainly because it was handy to get to, but up slate cabin lane and left onto Barnacullia at the t junction, is steep, but short.

It's sort of a good size too, just a few short sharp pulls.

There was a hill by where I used to live that I was literally never able to ride up on a road bike.
It was the perfect ramp shape to grind down any momentum you might have.

there's a section I used to use mainly because it was handy to get to, but up slate cabin lane and left onto Barnacullia at the t junction, is steep, but short.

It's sort of a good size too, just a few short sharp pulls.
thats a beaut.

Theres another dinger out the back of Saggart. If you head into Saggart village from tallaght/citywest, turn left in the village. As you come to the left hand bend there's a right turn. Take that turn and cycle up, up, up. There's a left turn about 2 or 3km up. Take that turn and there's another left turn up by some golf course (Slade Valley). The road eventually levels out and will bring you out near the top of Crooksling hill (N81).

thats a beaut.

Theres another dinger out the back of Saggart. If you head into Saggart village from tallaght/citywest, turn left in the village. As you come to the left hand bend there's a left turn. Take that turn and cycle up, up, up. There's a left turn about 2 or 3km up. Take that turn and there's another left turn up by some golf course (Slade Valley). The road eventually levels out and will bring you out near the top of Crooksling hill (N81).
jesus christ, yeah, I remember that one. I think we tried to drop Dave Peelo on that once. We got shouted at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back