"... we never managed to set up a self-sufficient Irish indie network..." (1 Viewer)

"In 2000 it was still considered a novelty if a band took the DIY route to record, manufacture and distribute their EPs or albums"

This is still patent nonsense though

Hehe

Wikipedia calls this construction "weasel words" - making something seem more authoritative by putting it in the passive voice.

Really "it was still considered" = "me and my mates still considered it"

A lot of what he is saying in that article is essentially correct though, isn't it? While there was lots of indie/DIY stuff going on in 1990 (and there are many people who post on this board who were up to their necks in this at the time) it wasn't the normal thing for a band to do - which was either nothing, or to try and get a record deal. Releasing your own records and so on has now become a much more mainstream activity. It's almost the norm. There's a couple of reasons for this I suppose. People persevering with doing it and hence showing that it can be done (I'm sure the Rednecks have inspired countless others in this regard). Ability and knowledge as to how to produce good quality recordings on a budget. Collapse of the whole lets-go-and-get-a-big-record-deal model. And last but far from least - a music media (kicked up the arse by the whole online/message boards/blogging community) which is supportive and interested in this, rather than ignoring it or sneering at it, as it had a tendency to do in the past.

I think .....

Name any "scene" that didn't celebrate itself.

It wouldn't be much fun if the "scene" just sat around and griped about itself all the time now would it?

Cock munshing cunt.

It's going to be another week of look on the bright side isms from me following the heroics of a certain blue half of merseyside yesterday so, bright side of not setting up a self sufficient irish indie network is that we also didn't set up a self sufficient dubstep network either. YAY!!!

People found this page by searching for cast of cheers. That is all.

As scene doesn't celebrate itself, a scene celebrates each other. Maaaaaahn.

It actually is a golden age FOR music. Big difference between that and a golden age OF music.

That's exactly what I was thinking today. Most of the bands I'm into have been around for years, even ones I think of as 'new' cos I only recently got into them. Anyway, yes, it's a great time for bands as there's no longer a crushing pressure to release on a label, DIY releasing and self-sustainability through tickets and merch has become the norm amongst bands on the live circuit in Ireland. And because we (internet users) can access and share information on music quickly and efficiently means that word travels rapidly in a criss-cross of social networking sites and blogs. It's great. That said, I reckon it's just more accessible now and there must have always been good music being made.

Irish radio is still piss poor with playing quality homegrown stuff that isn't already on a Major. I think Republic of Loose are one of the few bands that were able to get decent rotation on mainstream Irish radio without being signed to a Major.

And the Corrigan Brothers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back