"... we never managed to set up a self-sufficient Irish indie network..." (1 Viewer)

People haven't said 'first world problems' on thumped in a while, have they?

two things
- i don't know if 'outing' someone's place of study / employment like that is fully compatible with data protection regulations
- "i know where you work / live"- style replies are always a bit creepy, at best.

not getting involved

ps i know where you work / live

two things
- i don't know if 'outing' someone's place of study / employment like that is fully compatible with data protection regulations
- "i know where you work / live"- style replies are always a bit creepy, at best.

With great power there must also come — great responsibility!

Whatever about banning/deleting offensive or aggressive comments, it's a bit much revealing one's location/company/school as a retort. Saying 'because it's available in word press' is a bit of a cop out.

so who won the award? cathy davey or jape?? anyways - here's what i've read so far:

OTR said:
It’s Hugh’s response to a fuming OTR reader who took umbrage at how I reacted to one of his comments (the poor, delicate, wee lamb). Regular OTR readers will know that there’s a certain amount of give and take with comments here – as in, if you have a pop at me, don’t be surprised if I have a (much better written) pop at you

then ralph p's bulltet points.

raplh p said:
As you will see from what follows, unless opinions pat him on the back or allow him to further his own agenda he:

a) Responds in a condescending, bullying manner
or
b) Refuses to post them

followed by editor hughs response

As to the thrust of your complaint, I do not accept that Jim abuses any position of power he may have. Nor do I agree with your characterisation of his responses as condescending or bullying.

and then commentator 'peter' (not to be confused with pete)

commentator peter said:
Another mean trick he uses (which is part of the blogger’s power i suppose) is to hold off on posting comments until he has his reply ready to post immediately thus killing off any potential debate before it starts, or any attempt to contradict

I my completely biased head, ralph's actual point gets proven before his letter gets printed, as does commentator petes.

Pity Ralph is not a more sympathetic character with something worthwhile to say. His initial comment was rude and deserved a rude reply.

Telling people you know where they work/live/study is off the hook.

ralph is a bit of a snot there fo sho, but between OTR and mechanical turk, they still havent managed to say they fucked up with the cathy davey thing. its very 'political' debating. anything but the subject.

Pity Ralph is not a more sympathetic character with something worthwhile to say. His initial comment was rude and deserved a rude reply.

I agree. David Kitt's rant was a well-reasoned, coherent, and plain all round better argument. Ralph should have read that and taken a few tips from it before penning his own complaint.

I agree. David Kitt's rant was a well-reasoned, coherent, and plain all round better argument. Ralph should have read that and taken a few tips from it before penning his own complaint.

What was David Kitt's rant?

maybe this?
106.January 13, 2010
11:33 pm
jeez jim you should consider a career in politics the way you fend off the jibes; bamboozle them with mumbo jumbo about what the choice awards represents. do you even remember the initial brief of the award, it seems to have drifted quite a bit. a reminder: The Choice Music Prize was established in 2005 in Ireland. It is a music award given annually to the best full-length Irish album based on artistic merit, regardless of genre, sales or record label.

i think the shortlist falls way wide of the mark and i’m with john on this; you’ve got to take the lion’s share of the blame or shame for selecting a judging panel who rather than providing us with an alternative to the industry-driven meteor awards have in effect given us meteors lite.

i’ll admit i’m a bit disappointed i’m not on the list but in spite of my auspicious beginnings i’m well used to such minor disappointments at this stage and as long as the muse still visits on a regular basis i’m happy enough. even if beans on toast and porridge have been on the menu a bit too much recently.

i’m scratching this itch not out of frustration with my own progress career-wise but more as a music fan who’s lived in this country most of my life and someone who’s seen the inner workings of the music industry from the peaks(moneywise) of my early days on a major label to the more recent troughs of putting out records myself and making a loss. when you do something at such a cost it has to be a labour of love but it’s a curse too at times. i’m really happy to see valerie francis and adrian crowley included as i know how they’ve toiled to get the work to such a high standard but the glaring omissions on this list are really puzzling. in past years there were the likes of martin hayes and dennis cahill and mumblin deaf ro(who to my shame i’ve only recently discovered, no thanks to choice) but this year really shows an award drifting further and further from what it set out to be. 2009 was one of the best years for independent music i can remember in ireland and it’s such a shame the choice award has chosen not to celebrate this. the real howler for me is the omission of patrick kelleher but then again i doubt any of the judging panel have ever made it down to the box social to witness any of the excitement first-hand; it’s truly inspired and inspiring, and for the uninitiated readers it’s not some smug cliquey hangout, there’s a warm welcome for anyone who’s game. there were also great records from twin kranes, hunter-gatherer, david turpin, naphta and legion of two all of which deserved inclusion on artistic merit in my opinion and others i haven’t heard too i’m sure. i just don’t think your chosen panel is qualified to judge music based on artistic merit and it’s your job to select a panel that really knows their shit. why are there no musicians/producers on the panel? people who really know how this stuff is put together? it’s just a team of industry insiders trying to pick a list that’s supposed to include some of the outsiders that they clearly just don’t get.

all that regardless of label stuff is boll*cks too. more than half these acts have proper money behind them and that’s what gets them noticed. i thought this award was supposed to search between the cracks to find the real gold. as someone who runs a small label at a loss i can attest to the fact that if you don’t have money behind a record well you’re just not at the races.

there was a real chance to celebrate a great year for irish music, showcase some out-there stuff that deserves more attention and turn people on to some new music but it’s more of the same hack bullshit. it’s a real shame, i really didn’t think you were so much part of the system.

and while i’m at it is there really a need for all that ‘love your blog for the dubliner, dude’ stuff. blogger orgy stuff. i mean, it’s the irish times, please schtick – at least loosely – to the point…

d k

Comment by David Kitt

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back