Water Charges (2 Viewers)

i can't be arsed tracking articles down but i'm pretty sure indo news articles have been vacillating between demonisation nonsense and trying to catch the public mood as well

there've been several distinct episodes of blasting out bullshit (sinister fringe, 3 gardai assaulted a day, the jobstown atrocity) and then a period of articles reasonably critical of irish water

i might be slightly misremembering it but that's my impression anyway

I'd say a lot of them are hedging their bets, afraid of ending up on the wrong side of history

Someone somewhere is trying to decide how to caption the footage of water protests for a future episode of Reelin in the Years. Will it be "People power- all hail the brave instigators of our glorious new republic" , or "these are the gobshites that brought down the wrath of the troika on us and put us in the shit we are currently in"

there've been several distinct episodes of blasting out bullshit (sinister fringe, 3 gardai assaulted a day, the jobstown atrocity) and then a period of articles reasonably critical of irish water

any media-savvy people have any notion as to what the independent are playing at? why are they publishing the likes of gene kerrigan at the same time as absolute gutter-press tripe? it hardly gives the illusion of balance; more like schizophrenia

well yes your appraisal of general content is pretty much spot on.

newspaper law in ireland doesn't really address balance like broadcast law does. in that you can more or less say what you like if its true/sourceable.

The thing is about what you are asking though, should the media show a character? They shouldn't take a side? Or should they just print everything from all sides who are sending them information. Gene K largely writes popular opinion pieces (which are marked opinion in that they might be sourced, but are not information without taking a side). Likewise if Fine Geal send in a press release or make a statement about 'sinister fringes' a biased paper could say 'fuck that, we are not printing that' while a non biased one will more or less print it as is. i.e. let the reader form their own opinion with all possible information.

What you are asking is 'what is the editorial policy'. Since the internet the editorial policy is print fucking everything.

That said, I'm not going to to say the irish independent is independent of influence. They interviewed bertie ahern.

i can't be arsed tracking articles down but i'm pretty sure indo news articles have been vacillating between demonisation nonsense and trying to catch the public mood as well

i might be slightly misremembering it but that's my impression anyway

I simply don't know. My impression of RTE after Jobstown was that they thought the public narrative had changed and were trying to go with that. It hadn't though.
I know a lad that works for Prime Time. I should ask him.

That said, I'm not going to to say the irish independent is independent of influence. They interviewed bertie ahern.

well that and denis o'brien, who's the biggest shareholder in independent news and media, also owns the company that won the contract to install water meters

Influence is not always direct. Like Denis O'Brien isn't picking up the phone to tell an editor what to say at a staff meeting.
He simply trusts that he has the right guy there.

10479403_10204934194427194_5472293333750384971_o.jpg

Influence is not always direct. Like Denis O'Brien isn't picking up the phone to tell an editor what to say at a staff meeting.
He simply trusts that he has the right guy there.

Well thats obvious enough, I was mostly trying to explain editorial functions that would apply to any paper in Ireland. There is a guy on twitter who cuts out all the anti-sinn fein articles in the sindo every week and takes a photo. usually around 20.

well yes your appraisal of general content is pretty much spot on.

newspaper law in ireland doesn't really address balance like broadcast law does. in that you can more or less say what you like if its true/sourceable.

The thing is about what you are asking though, should the media show a character? They shouldn't take a side? Or should they just print everything from all sides who are sending them information. Gene K largely writes popular opinion pieces (which are marked opinion in that they might be sourced, but are not information without taking a side). Likewise if Fine Geal send in a press release or make a statement about 'sinister fringes' a biased paper could say 'fuck that, we are not printing that' while a non biased one will more or less print it as is. i.e. let the reader form their own opinion with all possible information.

What you are asking is 'what is the editorial policy'. Since the internet the editorial policy is print fucking everything.

i'm not questioning whether they should take a side, more that it's blatantly obvious that they have an agenda but at the same time are undermining their own agenda, even directly undermining their own agenda where gene kerrigan discusses media demonisation of protestors that the indo took a leading role in

like, the logical next step would be attack pieces directed at kerrigan

i might be still missing your point though

like, the logical next step would be attack pieces directed at kerrigan

i might be still missing your point though

No that is exactly the point. A newspaper that wants to make money has a Gene K and an anti Gene K. That way they keep 100% of the market and get shared on all social networks. The guardian really to my mind is at the forefront of having mutliple faces.

Look at this fawning shit though:

We blame Bertie for our own misjudgments - Independent.ie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back