Water Charges (2 Viewers)

the worst thing that they could do is have a standing charge for water that does not depend on metering.
that way, people will feel entitled to use as much water as is humanly possible 'as they're paying for it'.
part of the benefit of metering is to promote sensible water use so we won't have to produce drinking water for people to water their lawns with.

I don't see that happening.
What's more likely is that people make damn sure they're using their allowance.

Last edited:
1426704_792887667423415_3546362376203447051_n.jpg

She has 'apologized' now. (not for privatising water though)

I wish to clarify a comment posted by me on my private Facebook account over the weekend. A suggestion had been made to me earlier that morning that as a nation we should not pay for our water as there was plenty of rain. I was attempting to highlight that rainwater is not safe for drinking and costs the State in the region of €1.2bn per year to treat. I realise that my comments were open to a misinterpretation that I did not intend, I apologise for an offence this may have caused.

I've been thinking of the shitstorm that this is going to cause if we let fracking go ahead and some multinational gets a couple of stooge scientists to tell us its drinkable and we have to pay for it and its not at all completely fucked while some other multinational causes earthquakes.

We really are a nation colonized by companies.

If its a resource we can actually export (apparently 6 times what we need falls on the island) then there is loads of room to have incentives for good usage and treatment without just handing the whole show to a few lobby-able ministers.

I'm not so sure exporting water is feasible, technically possible-yes but financially, I can't see it.

I don't see that happening.

People taking the piss because 'I'm paying for it so I'm gonna use it'? Both this summer gone and the previous one I regularly passed a house that had a sprinkler running all night* on the patch of grass opposite the house, I know its one anecdotal story but it illustrates that the mindset is very much present.

*I generally passed about midnight but a few times later than that, maybe they switched it off at half three or something.

€1.2bn a year, holy fuck everything is billions these days, billion this, billion that. Are they trying to get us so used to the word billion that we forget how huge a number it actually is?
It's the old "clerical child sexual abuse" thing. You hear it so often that the actual horror wears off.

I'm not so sure exporting water is feasible, technically possible-yes but financially, I can't see it.

People taking the piss because 'I'm paying for it so I'm gonna use it'? Both this summer gone and the previous one I regularly passed a house that had a sprinkler running all night* on the patch of grass opposite the house, I know its one anecdotal story but it illustrates that the mindset is very much present.

*I generally passed about midnight but a few times later than that, maybe they switched it off at half three or something.

Yea I get you and that's shocking but a dickhead who does shit like that is likely to keep doing it no matter what. Some people are just shite.

€1.2bn a year, holy fuck everything is billions these days, billion this, billion that. Are they trying to get us so used to the word billion that we forget how huge a number it actually is?
no, they bandy around the word billion because we're talking about running a nation of over four million people.

She has 'apologized' now. (not for privatising water though)

Ah yeah I thought her apology was so hollow that it wasn't worth including.

Exporting water is totally feasible imo sure there's a huge intertanional market for bottled water.

As for the 1.2 Billion that's also the figure they already raise via the established methods so privatising and charging more is to make a profit on it and of course that profit will have no benefit for the people of Ireland bar maybe a select few.

Yea I get you and that's shocking but a dickhead who does shit like that is likely to keep doing it no matter what. Some people are just shite.

Well he can do it all he wants if he's willing to pay for it.

What if you were to rise the average temperature at the equator by about .3 of a degree Celsius?

I still can't see it, you're gonna need to build either pipelines or ports big enough to handle supertankers, neither of which come cheap. Even then, I'm sure there's other, more financially sustainable options out there for the (still hypothetical) end-user.

@moose, I'm going on the basis that we're talking about bulk as opposed to bottled water.

We should make some kind of migrant tax that forces Irish citizens who have left the country to pay for being abroad

I've long thought that there should be a small tax on all Irish passport holders.
Don't wanna pay tax to the state? Surrender your passport.
Although it may well be that the cost of collection would be more than the total raised....

€1.2bn a year, holy fuck everything is billions these days
look at it this way - vodafone ireland and O2 ireland combined have a turnover of about €1.6bn; and they do not have to have an actual point of presence in most homes in the country. add in the other operators, and you probably have a turnover of twice that €1.2bn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back