Vocoderz (1 Viewer)

a talk box has a tube that goes into your mouth and you manipulate the sound by making shapes with your mouth, like at the start of 'johnny used to work on the dock' by bon jovi

383945_170x170.jpg

You can get the danelectro talk box off thomann for 65 euro. I'd very tempted if and when I have a separate head/cab. Actually would these things work with bass anyone know?

You can get the danelectro talk box off thomann for 65 euro. I'd very tempted if and when I have a separate head/cab. Actually would these things work with bass anyone know?
id say youd have to play higher notes or chords for it kind of work with bass (coz of lower frequencies than vocals). vocoders work best with wide sounds or chords if you know what i mean. generally speaking. like synth/pads/keys.

for 65 euro it could be worth tryin out though. could be cool. never know like

Vocoders are radical multiplied by 7.
Technically you could use the guitar as the carrier or the modulator. It might sound muck depending on how you use it though. A typical setup is to have a big fat synthy lead noise as the carrier and voice as the modulator. Effectively (without going into fft or frequency band separation madness ) what happens is the 'sound' of the carrier gets moulded into the 'shape' of the modulator. i.e. it sounds like your synthesizer is singing.

The 'fuller' and more constant the carrier is, the better result you get (depending of course on what you're trying to do). Which is why chords sound good - they have more frequencies to play with. The pitch and tone of the modulator is not reproduced in the output. So basically if you sing out of tune it doesn’t matter as the output will be in whatever tune the synth is being played in at the time. Bonus points.

If you were to use an acoustic guitar as the modulator over a synth carrier, it would sound something like a synth being played by a guitar. Or at least in using the sonic shape of the guitar (aka envelope). Again, the pitch or note being played on the guitar is ignored in this situation.

If you we're to use the guitar as the carrier and your voice as a modulator you mightn't get great results straight off because decent vocoder output would only be achieved when your voice coincides with a guitar note being played.
This is because when you are between notes on the guitar the vocoder has no big fat frequencies to mould into the shape of your voice. If there was no carrier input at all, you could scream and shout into the modulator mic all you want but you won’t get any output out of the Vocoder.

However you can work around this a number of ways. For instance you could feed the guitar through an overdrive or distortion pedal first, that way you've got a big loud constant noise with loadsd of frequencies to use as fodder. Alternatively, you could feed the guitar through a compressor or limiter or dynamics of some description first. The idea being to change the envelope of the guitar to make it sustain at a louder level and for longer thus minimising silence or quiet sections in the carrier.

I bet there was a much more concise way of saying all that…

Basically you can put any sound into either input of the vocoder, but to get the results you want it might take a bit of tweaking.

Vocoders are radical multiplied by 7.
Technically you could use the guitar as the carrier or the modulator. It might sound muck depending on how you use it though. A typical setup is to have a big fat synthy lead noise as the carrier and voice as the modulator. Effectively (without going into fft or frequency band separation madness ) what happens is the 'sound' of the carrier gets moulded into the 'shape' of the modulator. i.e. it sounds like your synthesizer is singing.

The 'fuller' and more constant the carrier is, the better result you get (depending of course on what you're trying to do). Which is why chords sound good - they have more frequencies to play with. The pitch and tone of the modulator is not reproduced in the output. So basically if you sing out of tune it doesn’t matter as the output will be in whatever tune the synth is being played in at the time. Bonus points.

If you were to use an acoustic guitar as the modulator over a synth carrier, it would sound something like a synth being played by a guitar. Or at least in using the sonic shape of the guitar (aka envelope). Again, the pitch or note being played on the guitar is ignored in this situation.

If you we're to use the guitar as the carrier and your voice as a modulator you mightn't get great results straight off because decent vocoder output would only be achieved when your voice coincides with a guitar note being played.
This is because when you are between notes on the guitar the vocoder has no big fat frequencies to mould into the shape of your voice. If there was no carrier input at all, you could scream and shout into the modulator mic all you want but you won’t get any output out of the Vocoder.

However you can work around this a number of ways. For instance you could feed the guitar through an overdrive or distortion pedal first, that way you've got a big loud constant noise with loadsd of frequencies to use as fodder. Alternatively, you could feed the guitar through a compressor or limiter or dynamics of some description first. The idea being to change the envelope of the guitar to make it sustain at a louder level and for longer thus minimising silence or quiet sections in the carrier.

I bet there was a much more concise way of saying all that…

Basically you can put any sound into either input of the vocoder, but to get the results you want it might take a bit of tweaking.

your voice is so boring and lifeless, i doubt there is anything which could make it sound even less human - i hate you

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back