Vinyl (6 Viewers)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
do you like vinyl?

if you were to release a record, would it be on vinyl, and why?

is it because of the big huge covers so you can hold it and look at it like a picture and get a buzz?

or is it because it's louder?

or is it because the time and effort to put the needle in the groove and change sides just makes one appreciate the music more?

vinyl enthusiasts, tell me your opinions

Well, it ain't louder.
Vinyl rules. Sounds great if done well.
Artwork and permanent physical artefact is nice.
Best way to release music is Vinyl with CD-R included, if you ask me.

If I was producing an album I would put it out on vinyl – without a doubt. Vinyl just seems more personal in all aspects. It gives more of a chance for artwork and creativity because of the larger space to work with. Sadly, my collection was sacrificed to an ex and I move too much making it very hard to collect it. Sometimes, even though I no longer have a record player I will still by a record if I am drawn to it. Damn, they even smell better. You can listen to a record in the dark and with all the little cracks and pops imagine they recorded in their room just for you. I get jealous when I see people who own such large collections.

Hayworth said:
If I was producing an album I would put it out on vinyl – without a doubt. Vinyl just seems more personal in all aspects. It gives more of a chance for artwork and creativity because of the larger space to work with. Sadly, my collection was sacrificed to an ex and I move too much making it very hard to collect it. Sometimes, even though I no longer have a record player I will still by a record if I am drawn to it. Damn, they even smell better. You can listen to a record in the dark and with all the little cracks and pops imagine they recorded in their room just for you. I get jealous when I see people who own such large collections.

You're not wrong Rita. I used to love the free floppy vinyls that you'd get with magazines years ago. They should reintroduce that again.

mp3s have ruined cd for me. it's like having an album on a usb key or something. but with dumbed down art
all my cds are in boxes in my garage, i'll grab some if i'm goin drivin, but that's about it

so yeah, vinyl. and i think it sounds better, but that's all subjective mumbojumbo

Lefty Frizzell said:
You're not wrong Rita. I used to love the free floppy vinyls that you'd get with magazines years ago. They should reintroduce that again.

The Oink! magazine one was especially good.

I promised myself I wouldn't write a nostagic themed post today...

nlgbbbblth said:
One disadvantage of the CD era is the fact that albums have got longer - with 60 / 70 mins being frequent. That means the accompanying vinyl release is going to be a double. Which means better sound quality but a higher price.

Solution : cut out the fucking filler. Records are too damn long these days.
They should cap it at 45 mins. hehe

nlgbbbblth said:
One disadvantage of the CD era is the fact that albums have got longer - with 60 / 70 mins being frequent. That means the accompanying vinyl release is going to be a double. Which means better sound quality but a higher price.

I agree with this to a certain extent but in a different way; the shorter playing time of LPs made albums more consice, the cd format gives more time for needlessly long songs/filler etc. also I can think of a number of albums that have a great first side and a mediocre second side, Its cool to just listen to one.
And the whole 12'' only one song a side (not to mention the fuller, rounder sound).....
ahhh

nlgbbbblth said:
Agreed.
Shellac did this for 1,000 Hurts.

Why don't more bands do this?
I'd be willing to pay a few quid more (as a customer) for this option.

I quite like the non-plastic cd covers but vinyl packaging is still miles ahead.

And this may sound ridiculous, but the fact that vinyl works totally amazes me. Its only one grove right? But all those millions of songs. Its doesn't seem feasible...

Jimcorr said:
And this may sound ridiculous, but the fact that vinyl works totally amazes me. Its only one grove right? But all those millions of songs. Its doesn't seem feasible...

what about the fact that you can still hear the music faintly twanging away in the background even when you turn it right down? used to amaze me as a nipper

snakybus said:
do you like vinyl?

if you were to release a record, would it be on vinyl, and why?

is it because of the big huge covers so you can hold it and look at it like a picture and get a buzz?

or is it because it's louder?

or is it because the time and effort to put the needle in the groove and change sides just makes one appreciate the music more?

vinyl enthusiasts, tell me your opinions

Here's to sounding like a right spa'...

yes, I fucking love it.
it's sounds better because it is non-digital (others will disagree with this statement).
The artwork and smell is a nice bonus. Cd boxes are generally glass and look shit.
No, the needle business is tricky. That time and effort probably puts hasty modern types off. I'm pretty sure my younger brother
scratched 'the bold and the brave' on me. The little fucker. The whole precious thing is a pain and makes you seem like a right twatstick to others.

I've only got into vinyl this year really. I had enough of hating the sound of cds, particularly rubbish sounding reissues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back