US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

I only heard snippets of the Obama speech and am looking forward to looking up the whole thing later. He has the intellectual clarity and oratory aplomb that you would expect from a talented lawyer turned senator and I have a preference for him over McCain. I still can't help myself making comparisons with Blair before his election as Prime Minister though: the rhetoric, the raised expectations, the nuanced changes in policy positions and the nagging feeling that he grossly undersells the complexity of the problems he would be charged with solving if elected.

obamaacceptance.jpg

That was so amazing, but I tried so hard to stay up late that by the time he came on, I was zombified and still am. I'm gonna have to re-watch it anyway, but I'm glad I did it.

The tiredness is making me a little bit more emotional than I might otherwise be, but fuck it, this is absolutely huge.

I'm so psyched I'm gonna be in the US for the election.

Do you think you can make the vital difference, Jane?

From the Onion:

Black Guy Asks Nation For Change

March 19, 2008 | Issue 44•12

CHICAGO—According to witnesses, a loud black man approached a crowd of some 4,000 strangers in downtown Chicago Tuesday and made repeated demands for change.
"The time for change is now," said the black guy, yelling at everyone within earshot for 20 straight minutes, practically begging America for change. "The need for change is stronger and more urgent than ever before. And only you—the people standing here today, and indeed all the people of this great nation—only you can deliver this change."
Enlarge Image The black guy is oddly comfortable demanding change from people he's never even met.

It is estimated that, to date, the black man has asked every single person in the United States for change.
"I've already seen this guy four times today," Chicago-area ad salesman Blake Gordon said. "Every time, it's the same exact spiel. 'I need change.' 'I want change.' Why's he so eager for all this change? What's he going to do with it, anyway?"
After his initial requests for change, the black man rambled nonstop on a variety of unrelated topics, calling for affordable health care, demanding that the government immediately begin withdrawing troops from Iraq, and proposing a $75 billion economic stimulus plan to create new jobs.
"What a wacko," Schaumburg, IL resident Patrick Morledge said. "And, of course, after telling us all about how he had the ability to magically fix everything, he went right back to asking for change. Typical."
"If he's really looking for change, he's got the wrong guy," Morledge added.
Reports indicate that the black man has been riding from city to city across the country, asking for change wherever he goes. Citizens in Austin, TX said they spotted the same guy standing on the street Friday, shouting far-fetched ideas about global warming. Cleveland residents also reported seeing him in a local park, wildly gesticulating and quoting from the Bible. And last week, patrons at the Starlight Diner in Cheyenne, WY claimed that the black man accosted them while they were eating, repeatedly requesting change.
"I saw him walk in and I knew he was headed straight for our table," said mother of three Gladys Davies. "He just stood there smiling at us for a while, and asked how our food tasted. Then he went and did the same thing at the next table over. The nerve of some people."
Those who encountered the black man Tuesday said he engaged in erratic behavior, including pointing at random people in the crowd and desperately saying he needs their help, going up to complete strangers and hugging them, and angrily claiming that he is not looking for just a little bit of change, but rather a great deal of change, and that he wants it "right now."
"I'll be honest, when that black guy said he would 'stop at nothing' to get change, it kind of scared me," local mechanic Phil Nighbert said. "Just leave me alone."
Though many were taken aback by the black man's brazen demands, some, such as Jackson, MS's Holly Moser, sympathized with him. She gave the black man credit for boldly standing up and asking every last person around him for change.
"I told him I'd give him some if I saw him later, even though I probably won't," Moser said. "Very nice man, though."
Most, however, ignored his requests.
"I'm a hardworking American who pays his taxes, and the last thing I need is some guy on the street demanding change from me," said William Overkamp, a Springfield, IL gun-shop owner.
He added, "What he really needs is a job."

I watched it this morning and I found it quite emotional. No matter what you think of the guy he is an amazing orator and I found his speech really powerful..He was hitting the right notes left, right and centre...Plus I loved his little bit about how he won't allow it to become an election based on patriotism..In Your Face John McCain!!!I can't understand how anybody could watch it and not be moved...

If Obama was your old man, imagine how guilty he could make you feel if you left the milk out or something.

You'd be standing there, and he would be talking about putting away the milk when you're finished with it, and how hoping it would stay fresh is not going to be good enough, and you'd be there, just bawling your fucking eyes out.
Jesus Da, I'm so fucking sorry, I can't even... sniff.. jesus.

Its doesn't look like that Michelle one would be a walkover either.

The fights over the remote controls in the Obama household must be way below national averages.

mccain has picked peg bundy to be his running mate:

Palin1.JPG

possibly the first female president of the USA...

I think whoever loses the election should be made vice-president.

President John McCain: "I just don't think I can keep bombing arabs"

Vice President Obama: "Yes you can. Yes you can . . ." (repeat to fade)

McCain is a dickwad, going on about celebrating the anniversary of women's suffrage, when he don't fucking like them uppity bitches much no way no how.

I did a gulp when he announced Palin, trying to out-Obama Obama, only what she doesn't have is any experience, unless it's shooting wolves from a helicopter. Handy if he's got a canid infestation, not so handy in Washington.

It's going to become clear that not only is she wrong for the job, it was genuinely just a token pick -- moreso than the VP is already a token, which is pretty nuts.

She's got a kid (is it a kid?) in Iraq, she's young and a former beauty queen, a frontier woman with an Inuit husband, painfully pro-life and pro-gun, Jesus-lover, and governor of one of the most corrupt states in a country where most states' corruption makes Ireland look honest. A state where the Republicans want very badly to drill.

Her term as mayor was for a town of 8000, and in Alaska, most people are half grizzly bear.

My dad says that this is a clear sign of McCain's developing dementia.

And now McCain cannot accuse Obama of being inexperienced or the Democrats of being tokenistic. Now he has no fricking argument at all.

She just fucking tried to kiss the asses of Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Clinton. FUCK THAT SHIT. Now she's ripping off Hillary's speech, and is going on about shattering the glass ceiling WHILE STANDING NEXT TO A MAN WHO DOES NOT BELIEVE IN EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN.

Trying. Not. To. Smash. Keyboard.

OMG, did anyone just see the Sarah-Cindy faceoff? Body language suggests they are not/will not be friends.

Imagine being her son in Iraq, knowing that yer ma was going to use you as political currency?

Also, McCain's birthday. He's a fuckin' Virgo? Can I get a new zodiac sign, pls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back