US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

NY Governor picks someone I never heard of as Hillary's replacement in the Senate.
Caroline Kennedy dropped out but he still picked a woman.

Fair play.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/nyregion/24senator.html

Paterson Picks Gillibrand for Senate

23gillibrand_600.JPG
Nathaniel Brooks for The New York Times
Representative Kirsten Gillibrand spoke at a town hall meeting in Milford, N.Y., in May 2007.

By DANNY HAKIM and NICHOLAS CONFESSORE
Published: January 23, 2009
ALBANY — Gov. David A. Paterson has selected Representative Kirsten Gillibrand, a 42-year-old congresswoman from upstate who is known for bold political moves and centrist policy positions, to fill the United States Senate seat vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, according to a person who spoke to the governor early Friday.

Any think it was a bit mad that he listed off Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists and non-believers (nice for us atheists to get a mention), but left out the infinity of other religions? Perhaps he wanted to specifically mention Muslims, I suppose

And the way he talked about all races working to settle the country, but neglected to mention the people who were already there? I'm sure he loves the injuns as much as he loves anyone, but I'd imagine he made some of em feel a bit overlooked during his speech

"All faiths and none" would have done the trick

I'm not outraged on anyone's behalf, just surprised the omissions made it past the presumably large number of people who vetted the speech

he rattled through the major religions no?

In the US Muslim / Islam was a dirty word for a while. Its right that he gets up on stage and says they are as valid as any other religion or no religion.

Name checking the big beliefs is going to be reassuring for any that are accustomed to being left out.

I think it was the right thing to do, seeing as he was going there on the religion thing at all.

he rattled through the major religions no?

In the US Muslim / Islam was a dirty word for a while. Its right that he gets up on stage and says they are as valid as any other religion or no religion.

Name checking the big beliefs is going to be reassuring for any that are accustomed to being left out.

I think it was the right thing to do, seeing as he was going there on the religion thing at all.
Aye, i'd imagine it was an excuse to put christian and muslim next to each other, then throw in a few more and the non-believers so it wouldn't just hang there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i thought that story was going to be 'obama rescinds all personal freedoms in the US and declares war on palestine', or similar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJR-WzMjCGA"]YouTube - {Part 1} Wanda Sykes @ White House Correspondents Dinner[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdkEHIjsXQI"]YouTube - {Part 2} Wanda Sykes @ White House Correspondents Dinner[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back