US politics (4 Viewers)

Why Trump succeeds? Poor, angry white people (primarily male)

How an obscure adviser to Pat Buchanan predicted the wild Trump campaign in 1996

Which begs the questions as to how many more poor angry white people the US will 'produce' in the years to come? Polarisation is a dangerous thing indeed.
Donald Trump’s Strongest Supporters: A Certain Kind of Democrat

This new york times article has some i interesting findings about trump support levels across the us including correlation between trump support levels and percentage of racially charged google searches

Donald Trump’s Strongest Supporters: A Certain Kind of Democrat

This new york times article has some i interesting findings about trump support levels across the us including correlation between trump support levels and percentage of racially charged google searches

I'm sure there is some racist/Trump supporting crossover, but maybe that points to the disenfranchisement of a significant sector of the populace rather than anything else; people who feel the system has failed them will look for both a scapegoat and a saviour - other races are the problem and Trump offers an answer.
I think the success thus far of both Trump and Sanders points to a disillusionment with and within both parties, the American dream is dying if not dead already, and neither party seems to be offering its resurrection in a convincing way.

oh god

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

right so, who's organising the petition to keep bill o'reilly out of ireland if bernie looks like winning?

I believe the Work Christmas Party Rule applies here - the first person to mention it has to organise it

via
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

tumblr_o2iiwvgf9j1qzvqjbo3_500.jpg

No, no, no, no! Poor Antonin.
I was surprised to learn that 6 of 9 justices were catholic.

Counterweight to the heebs :)

They might get another in now.

I see there's already trouble over if it's appropriate for Obama to appoint a replacement with 11 months to go.

It's perfectly appropriate, unless you hate the President and you're a petulant dicktit.

This guy Sri is the leader in the clubhouse.
Bona fide immigrant.

Sri Srinivasan, who is he? Scalia's possible replacement?

It's perfectly appropriate, unless you hate the President and you're a petulant dicktit.

Say hello to the Republican party.
I can see them stalling in the (unlikely) hope they take the White House.

Wouldn't Sanders be more electable than Clinton, the Republicans really, really hate her, Sanders should take along some of the more moderate elements and a lot of independents.

Obama could always make a recess appointment, it's happened twice with the supreme court
Like right now?
I think the right would love him to do that so they could pillory him.
I think he'll stick with the process.
He might run into difficulty getting someone to agree to be nominated though. Who wants their career used for political fodder?

Wouldn't Sanders be more electable than Clinton, the Republicans really, really hate her, Sanders should take along some of the more moderate elements and a lot of independents.

It's hard to say. But Bernie holds a lot of relatively fringe views. Hillary will run from the centre. I could see Bernie being more readily painted as having crazy ideas and being dangerous etc etc.
WHo knows though? It's so early. Two primaries in.
Scalia's death has kind of thrown a dirty bomb on what was just a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. But Bernie holds a lot of relatively fringe views. Hillary will run from the centre. I could see Bernie being more readily painted as having crazy ideas and being dangerous etc etc.
WHo knows though? It's so early. Two primaries in.
Scalia's death has kind of thrown a dirty bomb on what was just a dumpster fire.

He's certainly not as centrist as Clinton but given the success himself and Trump have experienced thus far the fringe isn't as fringy as it used to be. Like you say though, early days yet, when's Super Tuesday?
Watching some Scalia videos today, he's a gifted debater, and, if nothing else, he made a compelling case for originalism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back