US politics (1 Viewer)

Both Clinton and Sanders have fairly horrific foreign policies right? Nothing gonna change there? More US army bases worldwide, more drone bombs killing civilians, more puppet governments, all that. That's not even up for debate?

Genuine questions btw, I know about Clinton's record of foreign intervention (short version: she's a monster) but less clear on Sanders.

This is why I don't vote in US elections any more

Australia has a permanent deployment of marines, the Philippines have offered to host more US bases and I believe the navy has a new facility in the Horn of Africa.
Not a lot in isolation but on top of their presence elsewhere its quite substantial.
Sounds a lot like none! :)

Actually, scrap the Horn of Africa, they just built a facility for drone operations on top of their current base
From those links, it seems to be mostly consolidation and pivoting (if that's the right word) for a fight against ISIS and the like rather than that all-out invasion lark that was so in vogue during the Bush years.

John's NYT link is a good read
Over the past dozen years, the Pentagon has turned what was once a decrepit French Foreign Legion base in Djibouti, in the Horn of Africa, into a sprawling headquarters housing 2,000 American troops for military operations in East Africa and Yemen.

I haven't heard much of what Bernie has been saying on foreign policy. I should pay more attention. Particularly to engage in internet discussion.
He can't come out against fighting ISIS, surely? But who knows?

Great opening paragraph in Slate on Trump's Town Hall thing last night
MSNBC’s Town Hall With Donald Trump Was Disgraceful
Is Donald Trump in trouble? After facing hostile questions from Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski Wednesday night—they comprehensively laid out his flip-flops, presented him with damning videotape, and asked him to explain the inconsistencies in detail—Trump was confronted by hostile audience members at MSNBC’s televised town-hall forum. When a Muslim questioner got up to ask why he had said such bigoted things about minorities, Trump seemed to struggle while Scarborough forced him to respond. The candidate looked uncomfortable, unhappy, and somewhat lost. It could be a turning point.
You should read past it though.

From those links, it seems to be mostly consolidation and pivoting (if that's the right word) for a fight against ISIS and the like rather than that all-out invasion lark that was so in vogue during the Bush years.

Eh yeah, well forgive me for not buying the spin that they're just fighting the bad guys.

I haven't heard much of what Bernie has been saying on foreign policy. I should pay more attention. Particularly to engage in internet discussion.
He can't come out against fighting ISIS, surely? But who knows?

Ultimately I care about it because US foreign policy was massive global effects in a way that, say, Irish foreign policy (LOL) doesn't.

Eh yeah, well forgive me for not buying the spin that they're just fighting the bad guys.

Ultimately I care about it because US foreign policy was massive global effects in a way that, say, Irish foreign policy (LOL) doesn't.
I think we can agree that when anyone sends troops and weaponry abroad to fight, there's more than altruism at play.

Hasn't been a major election issue beyond the GOP candidates promising to destroy ISIS. That I've seen anyway.
I can only take so much of the debates.

Both Clinton and Sanders have fairly horrific foreign policies right? Nothing gonna change there? More US army bases worldwide, more drone bombs killing civilians, more puppet governments, all that. That's not even up for debate?

Genuine questions btw, I know about Clinton's record of foreign intervention (short version: she's a monster) but less clear on Sanders.
The Problem With Bernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back