Unread post flag (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Magee

Website
www.myspace.com
Maybe this has been asked before, but anyways...is there any way to get the unread post flag to stay set until you actually read the thread, rather than being unset as soon as you log out? I.e. it appears to be behaving as a "new post since last visit" flag, rather than "unread post"...I guess this is the way it's supposed to work, but I'd personally find it more useful th'other way.

michaelknight said:
Maybe this has been asked before, but anyways...is there any way to get the unread post flag to stay set until you actually read the thread, rather than being unset as soon as you log out? I.e. it appears to be behaving as a "new post since last visit" flag, rather than "unread post"...I guess this is the way it's supposed to work, but I'd personally find it more useful th'other way.
Short answer: No

Not quite as short answer: No, because to do that you'd either have to store the 'read' state of every thread for every user in the database, which isnt' very practical cos the database would get wayyy too big; or in a cookie on their machine, which is also not practical as cookies can only be so big.

So it just records your last visit time and flags anything posted after that as new.

i think

pete said:
Short answer: No

Not quite as short answer: No, because to do that you'd either have to store the 'read' state of every thread for every user in the database, which isnt' very practical cos the database would get wayyy too big; or in a cookie on their machine, which is also not practical as cookies can only be so big.

So it just records your last visit time and flags anything posted after that as new.

i think
That's a bit of a pickle all right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back