Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

Reading recent [insert climate disaster here] reports where intense weather wrecks a place.

Local mayor/spokesperson says 'we'll get through this because we are special/outstanding/etc]

My unpopular opinion is that climate issues are magnified and accelerated by everyone thinking they are special and outstanding and exceptional.

Reading recent [insert climate disaster here] reports where intense weather wrecks a place.

Local mayor/spokesperson says 'we'll get through this because we are special/outstanding/etc]

My unpopular opinion is that climate issues are magnified and accelerated by everyone thinking they are special and outstanding and exceptional.
i listened to that podcast again about the chicago heatwave, after posting it here, and the mayor's comments about chicago being a place of extremes was brought to mind when i read your post.

vaughn.png

Nah, self exceptionalism in relation to climate stuff is global, but 100% exceptionalism.

Hmm, yeah. I guess my FB uncle spouts a lot of shite how humble country folk like him are all about the countryside, and he's quite embittered by Eamon Ryan and all them fancy suits in Dublin.
He doesn't quite get that there's a bit more to it all than just having a nice field. Because he's grand. Obviously no one likes being told what to do. He does have a lovely pickup truck and a cool tractor.

Hmm, yeah. I guess my FB uncle spouts a lot of shite how humble country folk like him are all about the countryside, and he's quite embittered by Eamon Ryan and all them fancy suits in Dublin.
He doesn't quite get that there's a bit more to it all than just having a nice field. Because he's grand. Obviously no one likes being told what to do. He does have a lovely pickup truck and a cool tractor.

Aye i mean people from the country are easy targets because they are like, in the country and therefore meet the climate every day. What I kinda find uncomfortable is the sort of less than style apathy approach from the western world at large. The only solution to climate issues essentially is to make the solution available in pennies/tesco/lidl/aldi etc for less than the price not doing less than nothing otherwise climate stuff is 100% something for other people to sort and it's much more important to pick up some pink stuff to wear to a movie, or sinister black hat to wear at halloween or whatever - those are micro examples, i don't think there is a demographic in a developed country in english speaking media that isn't living some form of it, the hyperconsumption.

I don't know how well I'm describing it.

You're describing it like a more interesting version of FB Uncle.

Not sure I agree though, if I do understand you. The farmers are the ones in a position to do things, but they won't. Because they refuse to get brow beaten by some hippie bollocks in Dublin.

I’ve a small group of friends that I share the results with. It’s kind of a fun jokey competitive thing between a few of us. Outside of that, I’m very much aware that no one gives a fuck
I think it's to do with that what most people are looking for is connection with others.

It's why there's a Facebook and Reddit, why people support football teams, why they get into music scenes and so on.
Sharing Wordle is just another way of playing Dungeons & Dragons or going to a Swans gig or biking with a group. Or whatever.
The actual thing is rarely important.
Everyone thinks their thing is the balls.

Well yeah, seven billion people saying "I'm just one person" etc.

But farmers could take the lead, and the rest of us would just have to deal with it, or starve.

But they do sometimes seem like shouting about Dublin is more important than doing something useful.

I think it's to do with that what most people are looking for is connection with others.

It's why there's a Facebook and Reddit, why people support football teams, why they get into music scenes and so on.
Sharing Wordle is just another way of playing Dungeons & Dragons or going to a Swans gig or biking with a group. Or whatever.
The actual thing is rarely important.
Everyone thinks their thing is the balls.
Yeah, that’s pretty much it. It’s more about keeping a connection with the people in those WhatsApp groups. It’s like saying “we’re still alive!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back