Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

Well, I can't vouch for anyone being fun.
And I'm not gonna push back on the view that pessimistic people find positive people off-putting.

But the people I am thinking of have been through some shit; life tragedies, major illness, disability, abuse, addiction, and so on. The shit we've all been through.
And found a way to thrive through it all.

The idea that the only positive people are a bunch of private schooled/trust fund assholes doesn't hold with my experience.
i am reminded of the story of the WW2 warplanes returning to base riddled with bullet holes.

Stop being positive, cunts. Shit is happening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Everything is actually kind of awesome.

If you've got a roof over your head, a body that works and people that give a damn about you, then count your blessings every morning.

Death is coming. Enjoy the party while it's going.

If you've got a roof over your head, a body that works and people that give a damn about you, then count your blessings every morning.

Having a bit of gratitude puts you on the fast track to good vibes city

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You know what's mad. Infernal Love is like one of the late Therapy albums right? I know they have about 15 since then, but whatever. That's what it feels like. So it's like still a "new" album. And in the sleeve notes it says:

"At the time of this CD/record/tape/bootleg going to press there was talk of a ceasefire. Peace in Northern Ireland. On the optimistic note, we, Andrew, Michael and Fyfe leave you. Peace, love and a brighter future."

I'm kinda coming around to the idea that living in the moment isn't quite enough, that you also need some kind of story of your life that pleases you.

You know what's mad. Infernal Love is like one of the late Therapy albums right? I know they have about 15 since then, but whatever. That's what it feels like. So it's like still a "new" album. And in the sleeve notes it says:

"At the time of this CD/record/tape/bootleg going to press there was talk of a ceasefire. Peace in Northern Ireland. On the optimistic note, we, Andrew, Michael and Fyfe leave you. Peace, love and a brighter future."
Not the ceasefire that held btw.

I'm kinda coming around to the idea that living in the moment isn't quite enough, that you also need some kind of story of your life that pleases you.
100%
You need meaning. That often comes from a sense of purpose.
A lot of people get that from kids, or their partnership.
But working on your growth as a person - trying to be a little better day on day, week on week, can work too. You can make your world slightly bigger every day.

I feel that having things in your life that get you down constantly - your job, your primary relationship, your weight, whatever - can weigh down on that sense of meaning/purpose.
If you walk around thinking your life sucks, or life in general sucks, then (I think) that sense of purpose is tougher to engage with. That was my experience anyways.
When I think about times I was less engaged with life, it was always stuff within my control (more or less). Blaming my unhappiness on my job, my boss, my girlfriend, my ex, being heavy, being stuck.
And it was all on me. Life didn't suck, I had made a long series of choices that gave me a life that sucked.
Until I got out of my own way, nothing changed.
Anything that is in your control is changeable. And most everything is within our control.
That's just my experience.

Bad shit can happen. Arlene Foster and Patrick Kielty both had a severely shit go as young people. Arguably embraced different paths of negativity/positivity. All within their power.
Or you can have a tough start. Damien Dempsey from Donaghmede, chose positivity. David McAndrews, a child of privilege, is a negative, moany cunt.
Trauma and background are not destiny.

Anyways, there you go.
Happy Monday, everyone

Bertie Aherne apparently played the dup and Sinn Fein ‘potato junkie’ at breakfast every morning during the Good Friday negotiations
i once met a lad who was told a bowl he turned saved the peace process. he knew full well the department of foreign affairs were buttering him up, but he said he'd take the credit regardless.

So what do you get meaning from?
Living a purposeful life
The only two things I'm ever gonna have are my mind and my body and I take care of them, best I can
This way I can engage with life fully - do anything I want to do, or set my mind to. I am always trying to make my world a little bigger - it used to be very very small.
And crucially, it means I am available at something near my best for my family/friends/community.
I support my siblings in their lives, I am some sort of example for my nieces/nephews, I am at my best for my friends, and I can make small changes to my world with local activism/volunteering.
I try to always show up, in the small and big ways.

Tl;dr just getting out into the world and being kind and living fully every day (as best I can)

If this sounds wanky/eye-rollery, I can't help that. Living my truth, maaan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back