Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

Doesn't sound wanky at all. Similar enough approach to life to mine in many ways, though my day to day mood seems a lot more variable than yours is
Ah, I have bad days and get down, but I find that whatever chemicals the regular fitness puts in my brain helps
Plus the DGAFness of advanced years; I don't care what people think about me anymore

And I can talk myself back to my baseline good humour once I feel a mood coming on; I've too much to be grateful for to stay pissed off for too long.

Whatever about the band's own politics, and whatever about the politics* of "the youth" that has elevated the band to heights of attention they are currently enjoying, the music of the Wolfe Tones is fucking shit and always has been.

* I think these are somewhat related but not exactly the same.

Whatever about the band's own politics, and whatever about the politics* of "the youth" that has elevated the band to heights of attention they are currently enjoying, the music of the Wolfe Tones is fucking shit and always has been.

* I think these are somewhat related but not exactly the same.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion (on thumped anyway).

the bottom of the barrel of the 60s/70s ballad boom musically, who found their niche amongst barstool republicans everywhere.

yeah, exactly, the song they wrote themselves are mostly novelty songs and are shite. They popularised a lot of old rebel songs, some of which are amazing songs with very poetic lyrics.

Until this prompted a google I didn't realise ''the streets of new york'' was written from your man from bagatelle.

Used to be in college with a lad who would belt that out at every opportunity..

And I'lll neeever forget the green grass by the river
As I keep law and order on the streets of New York

Haha good god, in the 80s I sure as shit didn't expect that to be in the repertoire of every pub singer 40 years later. That and fucking "Grace just hold me in your aaaarms and let this moment linger"

So the Wolfe tones were the voice of the civil rights movement?

I'd say more in the folk tradition, the sang songs about what was going on around them and about things people cared about at the time which is kinda the point of folk, or punk or whatever you want to call it in a given era. They are a capsule of what was happening in the country and like any genre theres a sentimentality that runs through that and carrys it another generation or two.

I'd say more in the folk tradition, the sang songs about what was going on around them and about things people cared about at the time which is kinda the point of folk, or punk or whatever you want to call it in a given era. They are a capsule of what was happening in the country and like any genre theres a sentimentality that runs through that and carrys it another generation or two.
Wouldn’t disagree with that entirely - but would say a fair part of their market appeal from the start was sentimentality.

Wouldn’t disagree with that entirely - but would say a fair part of their market appeal from the start was sentimentality.

Thats kinda a folk thing though, passing songs along, adding a bit to the tapestry and all that. Like we actually have enough history of being attacked by our neighbours to have multiple generations of music on the topic, so the folk pass it along. Cleary enough people found it relatable and enjoyable enough to keep going even with in fairness some of the most minimal airplay from national stations you could ask for.

Thats kinda a folk thing though, passing songs along, adding a bit to the tapestry and all that. Like we actually have enough history of being attacked by our neighbours to have multiple generations of music on the topic, so the folk pass it along. Cleary enough people found it relatable and enjoyable enough to keep going even with in fairness some of the most minimal airplay from national stations you could ask for.

The rebel/political songs were woven into what many of the folk acts did at the time - not all made it their usp as did the Wolfe tones.

Might be why the Wolfe tones are still popular :)

The rebel/political songs were woven into what many of the folk acts did at the time - not all made it their usp as did the Wolfe tones.

Might be why the Wolfe tones are still popular :)

I was out ruining the environment there with a chainsaw for a bit. I was thinking about it - so in every instance of an empire going resource hunting or creating a two tier rights system in other countries to feather their own beds, there's gonna be one dude who tells them to fuck off. He might die, or he might live, but the main thing is he told them to fuck off, and preserving that is actually a really important part of humanity the world over.

I was out ruining the environment there with a chainsaw for a bit. I was thinking about it - so in every instance of an empire going resource hunting or creating a two tier rights system in other countries to feather their own beds, there's gonna be one dude who tells them to fuck off. He might die, or he might live, but the main thing is he told them to fuck off, and preserving that is actually a really important part of humanity the world over.
I think one can agree about the importance of folk music and traditions in memorialising past resistance, and still point out that the Wolfe tones are a pretty one dimensional and sentimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back