UK DEBill Passes. Fuck. (1 Viewer)

This shit sucks.

i'm tempted to go all holy Thursday on this shit and start downloading everything in sight

Of course, that model is ok for music, but what about movies or tv....or software??

i dunno... maybe an option for an expanded license??

Well, this won't actually change much... Push more people onto private trackers maybe...

in the one year since the pirate bay got slammed, illegal filesharing is apparently about twice (plus?) what it was previously

People just see it as a distro system.

I saw tons of movies last year, both downloaded and in the cinema.

If I could use Bittorrent to buy movies cheaply with my laser card, I would.

Same goes for TV.

Music IS different though...

That's why the tax seems to make sense. For me, bit torrent + FLAC = the radio.

Netflix means waiting, it means only getting movies available in Ireland (which isn't great) and it means not having a copy to watch again in a week. It means not having a copy without breaking the law anyway.

If I want to watch it on my iPod, I'm just as guilty as if I just grabbed it from the net.

So, no, not the same.

The context tax I refer is the flat-rate tax split evenly amongst a playlist - it would work in the same way that monies for radio based royalties does.

Still don't get it... What exactly is the tax on? I mean, at what point is it being paid? On CDs? On legal downloads? In your ISP bill? On everyone's payslip? If the latter, then you have private corporations guessing how much money they're losing, and telling the government to extract money from their citizens to compensate them... (remind you of anything?)

And anyway, how does any of that deter free, illegal downloading? The millions of people who don't illegally download, and are suddenly being charged for it might suddenly decide that they may as well get in on the act.

On a technical point... no one is tracking what songs I download. Nor could they, even if they wanted to.

Still don't get it... What exactly is the tax on? I mean, at what point is it being paid? On CDs? On legal downloads? In your ISP bill? On everyone's payslip? If the latter, then you have private corporations guessing how much money they're losing, and telling the government to extract money from their citizens to compensate them... (remind you of anything?)

And anyway, how does any of that deter free, illegal downloading? The millions of people who don't illegally download, and are suddenly being charged for it might suddenly decide that they may as well get in on the act.

On a technical point... no one is tracking what songs I download. Nor could they, even if they wanted to.

Yeah, it would have to be more like a class action law suit.

All the parties affected would have to petition an organizing body which would assign them a percentage of the eventual pie.

Then a government would create a flat tax which everyone with broadband would pay, something like 2e a month.

The resulting money would be divied up amongst the "plaintifs," but only in exchange for no further lawsuits in the related countries against down loaders.

i fairness, if that law gets passed in ireland, some stoned student will find a way around it in about 4 hours and normal service will resume. on the subject of ethical/unethical music distribution, spotify is as close as i've seen to workable interface, though its innards are diseased.
I've had many interesting drunken factfinding seminars on the subject, here's the project brief for any programmers out there:

all that is required is
content < - distro mechanism/payment collection - > user

in such a way where the following:
A: lawyers
B: business men
C: countless useless middlemen
D: pricks

are not receiving the lions share of the users contribution, and it is distributed ethically between the artists, musicians and people in the chain* who made it actually happen. It need be no more complex then that. its a pretty flawless system so far as i can see, the only flaw would be if programmer (who really just has to spend a week assembling a distro interface that looks like itunes, a billing system and a few widgets) were to set up themselves to receive an unnecessary wage for maintaining it. anything more then the going rate in the western world for a working programmer pollutes the idea, regardless of how many streams/downloads or contributions are made.

The very mention of the word plantiff in your post there milanpanic implies lawyers getting involved where they have no business, other then collecting royalty shares for involving legal speak in the world of music.

*i.e. if you wrote a song about charlie chaplin, as an artist you can opt to allow his estate a nominal royalty for existing and being inspirational.

It's all our fault

After the bill was passed, the Indelicates co-frontperson wrote on Twitter: "Very slow handclap. Knew it was coming, but still slightly shellshocked... I choose not to recognise the UK's digital economy bill.

"All the musicians who view the internet as nothing more than a funnel for their sleazy hype deserve their share of the blame. Standing by silently with their unblemished hands folded cravenly over their purses. So fuck you.

"Indie bands - This was done in your name and you could have crippled their argument by standing against it but chose not to."

He added: "[The bill] allows blocking of any site that 'is being or is likely to be used for or in connection with an activity that infringes copyright' That's fuzzy enough to include our artist-rewarding, innovative-business-model-y company aiming to grow the digital economy. Cheers. Thanks so much for protecting us poor, struggling creatives - really, you're so kind, you fetid old realitards."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back