UK DEBill Passes. Fuck. (1 Viewer)

warcam

Website
www.myspace.com
UK Establishment vs Internet round 1 begins.

This may well turn a generation into part time hackers.

Given this country's politicians' propensity to ape our neighbour's laws, stay vigilant.

at least the orphan works clause relating to photography was removed.

Yup, but under these rules you could see the end of rapid share, megaupload etc.
Youtube for UK would become seriously restricted.
The internet would cease to be a user friendly network basically. We'll be left with trivia and only those with a bit of tech nous would be able to share / swop files.
Online radio (aside from the big guys) could also take a hammering, as could amatuer mix podcasts / audio blogs.

Universities, airports, hotels, schools, cafes etc could all be forced to take a ridiculously hard line and basically spy on all those who use their web connections.

Offices, studios, galleries etc could have their web cut off based on accusations, not even requiring proof.

It's a horrible, horrible situation, one the public would not have tolerated had they understaood the implications.

And who is behind this?

Record Companies.

C*nts.

Fuck them.

Remember, ISPs only make money with bandwidth.

They won't shoot themselves in the foot.

The other thing is that sooner or later a nation will devise a 'content' tax that will create a pool of money to be split amongst affected content creators. Like a TV license for the Internet.

People can't escape that tax really and content creators will stop all this bullshit if they start making some money from the web.

Remember, ISPs only make money with bandwidth.

They won't shoot themselves in the foot.

The other thing is that sooner or later a nation will devise a 'content' tax that will create a pool of money to be split amongst affected content creators. Like a TV license for the Internet.

People can't escape that tax really and content creators will stop all this bullshit if they start making some money from the web.

So if I were to create a song and put it on to a website, how would I get money for this?

If it's the case that content creators have to get paid, then an enormous percentage of worldwide internet users could claim for their portion of what's been raised by this tax.
I'm creating content as I type. It's not very good content, but it's content I've created. Should I be entitled to something?

No you wouldn't be paid, but f you joined the RIAA (or Irish v of BMI/ASCAP) you would.

It's not "fair", but small buisness owners are always under represented.

It's either this idea, collective payment, or draconian clamp downs on behalf of the big content owners or... A LOT less US content.

And all that that implies.

... it's so easy now to track content that is played...

Are you sure of that?

And, would a "content tax" mean that they then make it legal to torrent albums?

... technically accurate numbers for financial distribution to artists/labels should be achievable

So should they use data from private corporations (ISPs) to 'meter' content-usage? Are the heaviest users not the most likely people to be able to circumvent any sort of tracking?

I'm not sure the content tax is very well thought through... Canada's implemented this, right - with a flat-rate tax IIRC.

Are you sure of that?

And, would a "content tax" mean that they then make it legal to torrent albums?

So should they use data from private corporations (ISPs) to 'meter' content-usage? Are the heaviest users not the most likely people to be able to circumvent any sort of tracking?

I'm not sure the content tax is very well thought through... Canada's implemented this, right - with a flat-rate tax IIRC.

The context tax I refer is the flat-rate tax split evenly amongst a playlist - it would work in the same way that monies for radio based royalties does.

Yeah flat tax divied up between all applicants if they could show their property was being stolen.

And yes, if would be in exchange for freedom to torrent whatever.

I mean, like I said, you can get it all now for free; with a tax at least creators get something, the internet isn't clamped down and puppets become real little boys...

Yeah flat tax divied up between all applicants if they could show their property was being stolen.

And yes, if would be in exchange for freedom to torrent whatever.

I mean, like I said, you can get it all now for free; with a tax at least creators get something, the internet isn't clamped down and puppets become real little boys...

I was also thinking a flat tax that would cover the likes of streamed music (i.e. - Spotify or programs along those lines), hence my use of "content tax" - kind of like the license fee, only distributed via play counts, etc...
It's not inconceivable that there eventually just be some sort of logging database that tracks plays - the LastFM idea basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back