TV/Movie's/Radio you've been on (1 Viewer)

i was a guest on the joe duffy show.

i Talked To Joe.

deadly sound.

was on the 9 o clock news after last years critical mass.taped it and all if yis want a copy .......:)maybe not

jane said:
Ahem, not geology so much as archaeology. 'Stone Age' refers to to material used by humans, and not geological processes: 'archaeological time' as opposed to geological time, if you will.

I could go on. Believe me, I could go on.

Indeed, but note how I never made a claim that these were geological time frames, just that they would be known to any geologists that may use Eirecore.

mac warzonescum said:
Indeed, but note how I never made a claim that these were geological time frames, just that they would be known to any geologists that may use Eirecore.

Possibly they would, but they are not geological terms, they are archaeological ones, although I guess most geologists would be aware of them, sure. But they have little to do with the discipline of geology. I was merely explaining that the 'stone' has nothing at all to do with geological processes, but to purely cultural ones, to the tools being used by humans. They have little to do with what was happening to the planet outside of human activities taking place on the earth, apart from the fact that the Mesolithic is also sometimes seen as beginning after the last Ice Age. To a geologist, every age is a stone age of some type.

The stone ages are archaeological epochs that generally relate to Old World, and largely to Western societies (because, when they were devised in the 19th century, most non-Europeans were considered by Europeans to be 'stuck' in the Stone Age, and needed to be colonised to teach them about civility and modern life). Apart from the Palaeolithic, which spans all of human evolution up to about 10,000 years ago (depending on what part of the world you're in), are quite short in comparison to geological time. A few thousand years is like nothin' to a geologist. They do that shit in their sleep. Archaeologists split the rest of the hairs, and we like to get all pissy and territorial about it. It gives our lives meaning, and makes us feel like spending a lifetime figuring out if lithics were made by indirect or direct percussion, or if the debitage from stone tool manufacture has some sort of deeper cultural meaning, actually matters in the Great Scheme of Things.*

There, now I've proved Ed right. And I can give myself a wedgie, thank you very much. Oh, and here's my lunch money, too.

Man, oh man, am I igneous today.

I could even go on. (Just ask Ed.)

*It does, right?

how the fuck did i miss out on this argument??
jane's right, on a geological timescale humanity and it's evolution is an insignificant footnote in the history of the planet. snotty science core

here's a geological timescale... humans started in the very last part of that tiny little strip at the top left, in the quaternary (the last 2 million years). so there ya have it. humans = boring crap

timescale.JPG

jane said:
Possibly they would, but they are not geological terms, they are archaeological ones, although I guess most geologists would be aware of them, sure. But they have little to do with the discipline of geology.

My point was that I am aware that there are geologists one this board, and that they would be acquainted with such terms, whereas to the best of my knowledge there are no archeologists on the board. Those attcking me for an imagined identification of the various sub-divisions in the archeological concept of the stone ages are fighting a strawman.

nooly said:
here's a geological timescale... humans started in the very last part of that tiny little strip at the top left, in the quaternary (the last 2 million years). so there ya have it. humans = boring crap

I assume the irony of using a human produced document to show the insignificance of humans doesn't escape you?

Ah, thank The Lard Jeeebus for Nooly.

As far as human settlement in Ireland, you couldn't even draw a line fine enough on that chart to make it accurate: just the very last nanosecond of the Holocene.

Humans is no boring crap. Anyway, the earth made the rocks, but the humans made up the geology. Go on the humans!

mac warzonescum said:
My point was that I am aware that there are geologists one this board, and that they would be acquainted with such terms, whereas to the best of my knowledge there are no archeologists on the board. Those attcking me for an imagined identification of the various sub-divisions in the archeological concept of the stone ages are fighting a strawman.

There are at least three archaeologists on Thumped/Eirecore, including me, and several others who have worked in archaeology. And those are just the ones I know of personally.

Jeeeeesus, if correcting information in a smart-arsed manner that is clearly not all that pissy at all, is considered an 'attack', well, then, let's all hold hands and be wrong.

ETA: This straw man is no match for me! Hoo hoo! He don't know what's comin'!

jane said:
There are at least three archaeologists on Thumped/Eirecore, including me, and several others who have worked in archaeology. And those are just the ones I know of personally.

This I didn't know - I do recall discussion of geology from one of the education threads a while back.

jane said:
Jeeeeesus, if correcting information in a smart-arsed manner that is clearly not all that pissy at all, is considered an 'attack', well, then, let's all hold hands and be wrong.

Well, not an attack as such, but an inference that I was claiming that the paleo/meso/neo-lithic ages were categories of geological time, which wasn't actually the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back