Tour de France 2007 thread (1 Viewer)

men's Amstel Gold 2023 highlights (5:30)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Should have put an accumulator on Eddy Pogacar! At least the current crew give respect to all the races (yes that is a jibe at Lance) Expected Healy to do something but under any other circumstances he would have won easily ala MVDP and Pedersen's stellar rides in Flanders.
In 1975 Merckx won San Remo, Flanders, Amstel... and Liege. De Vlaeminck out sprinted Merckx in Roubaix. Yet within months the good times were almost over

Looking forward to Fleche Wallonne all dayer today. Women's race coverage begins shortly at 9:55 am to 11:30 on Eurosport,
The Tour of The Alps (formerly Giro del Trentino) continues @11:30 am. Then men's Fleche after that.
With Liege on Sunday, this is my favourite cycling week of the year.

One disappointment recently was the Tour of The Basque Country.
There are very few stages I've missed since 1998 and this was easiest edition I've seen.
It was pretty much unheard of until recent years for more than 50 riders to contest a sprint in the easiest Basque stage (often a Friere or Valverde win) but there were bunch sprints this time.

sad to think that only a few men seem capable of winning big races now.
don't like Remco at all - just not likeable - prefer the Slovenians! a Flemish lad only riding one classic doesn't sit well with me when the other guy won three and was close in San Remo.

Healy's 4th place at 22 y.o. sees out a great spring for him. In the Fleche, Healy came on the Mur in maybe 40th place so he had chance of featuring over all. He's my real plastic Paddy! feck Declan Rice.

Saw Dan Martin in Liege coverage before start yesterday. He was famous for starting the Mur in 25th place and then riding the last 200 metres faster than anyone when it was too late.

I noticed this morning Megan Armitage finished 33rd @ 5:33 in Liege-B-L Femmes.
She was the first rider on the Arkea team and finished ahead of a string of big name riders. e.g. Brown, Persico, Kiesenhofer, Brand, Sierra (yeah - I know they weren't all riding for themselves but I'll take it)

Romandie must be starting tomorrow? if my cycological clock is ticking properly.

EDIT:
cleaned up numerous typos.

sad to think that only a few men seem capable of winning big races now.
don't like Remco at all - just not likeable - prefer the Slovenians! a Flemish lad only riding one classic doesn't sit well with me when the other guy won three and was close in San Remo.

Healy's 4th place at 22 y.o. sees out a great spring for him. In the Fleche, Healy came on the Mur in maybe 40th place so he had chance of featuring over all. He's my real plastic Paddy! feck Declan Rice.

Saw Dan Martin in Liege coverage before start yesterday. He was famous for starting the Mur in 25th place and then riding the last 200 metres faster than anyone when it was too late.

I noticed this morning Megan Armitage finished 33rd @ 5:33 in Liege-B-L Femmes.
She was the first rider on the Arkea team and finished ahead of a string of big name riders. e.g. Brown, Persico, Kiesenhofer, Brand, Sierra (yeah - I know they weren't all riding for themselves but I'll take it)

Romandie must be starting tomorrow? if my cycological clock is ticking properly.

EDIT:
cleaned up numerous typos.
L-B-L is famous for......

look at the list of winners. Arguably the dirtiest race on the calendar?

L-B-L is famous for......

look at the list of winners. Arguably the dirtiest race on the calendar?
L-B-L is a real strongman's race - if yer the strongest ya win. The San Remo winners have to be clever.

Basque Peio Ruiz Cabestany (sometimes spelled ''Pello'' - as in Bilbao) was almost unique in Spanish peloton in the 1980's/early 90's in that he loved the classics and even finished Roubaix several times (best 13th).

until the 80's most starters didn't seem to finish classics with there were often less than 50 finishers.

I was looking at stage 4 of the 1986 Tour de France this morning. Peio Ruiz Cabestany (who helped Kelly win the 1988 Vuelta) won the stage after attacking in last 10 or so km and passing fellow Basque Federico Echave.
One of the Simon Bros. (Regis) from RMO was in lead for most of the stage until about last 15 km - Kimmage mentions this in Rough Ride.
stage 4 of the 1986 Tour was 243 km and took 6 hours 57 minutes in an average speed just under 35 kmph.
I know that was a stage race but...

EDIT: I got distance of 1986 Tour stage wrong by 10 km: it was 243 km (not 253 km) so that actually further shows how much speeds have increased.

L-B-L @ 258 km took Remco only 6:15:49 (41.206 kmph) yesterday in cold wet conditions.
Pogacar won Amstel (253.6 km) in 6:02:02 (42.029 kmph).
MVDP won Roubaix (256.6 km) in 5:28:41 (46.481 kmph)
Pogacar won Flanders (273 km) in 6:12:07 (44.083 kmph)
MVDP cycled 294 km to San Remo in 6:25:23 (45.773 kmph)

Last edited:
Interesting thread

Would be a good thing if Gaimon would call out some of the present-day frauds (Basically all of them who are at the top of the sport right now. )

Interesting thread

Would be a good thing if Gaimon would call out some of the present-day frauds (Basically all of them who are at the top of the sport right now. )

Before reading this I can point out something extremely obvious that the premise of this tweet doesn't mention:
Triathletes compete as individuals.
Cyclists are part of team of 25 riders and maybe 50 employees in total.
Lots of people who don't like each other end up being team mates at some stage.
This is true of any team sport.
It is relatively easy to call out dopers in solo sports. in team sports it is far easy - unless you want to end up very isolated or unemployed.

That said Anti Doping in cycling is failing almost completely.
Safe to say the powers that be in cycling (UCI, race organisers, teams and media) are a cartel turning a blind eye to doping.

Will read what Gaimon has to say now.

so according to Gaimon, Velonews gave up publishing the magazine this year and apparently Velonews is now owned by an investment company Lance is involved in (w/ typical bullying results).

I only bought the mag once over 15 years ago and it wasn't great. John Wilcockson was its central figure and he was a Lance loyalist even publishing an uncritical bio of him as late as 2009.
I'd forgotten about Gaimon but he seems to be on the ball with a lot of things.

it is amazing that Lance hasn't gotten his face rearranged at some stage. he was never going to go quietly but it is bizarre to see how much people are willing to tolerate him.
anything Lance is involved in should be boycotted and lambasted at every opportunity.
hopefully he has a major EPO induced heart attack soon.

GCN/Eurosport/Discovery seem to have a rule that they never mention Lance by name and never mention the Discovery cycling team of the 2000s.

Before reading this I can point out something extremely obvious that the premise of this tweet doesn't mention:
Triathletes compete as individuals.
Cyclists are part of team of 25 riders and maybe 50 employees in total.
Lots of people who don't like each other end up being team mates at some stage.
This is true of any team sport.
It is relatively easy to call out dopers in solo sports. in team sports it is far easy - unless you want to end up very isolated or unemployed.

That said Anti Doping in cycling is failing almost completely.
Safe to say the powers that be in cycling (UCI, race organisers, teams and media) are a cartel turning a blind eye to doping.

Will read what Gaimon has to say now.
That is an excellent point. Good call.

so according to Gaimon, Velonews gave up publishing the magazine this year and apparently Velonews is now owned by an investment company Lance is involved in (w/ typical bullying results).

I only bought the mag once over 15 years ago and it wasn't great. John Wilcockson was its central figure and he was a Lance loyalist even publishing an uncritical bio of him as late as 2009.
I'd forgotten about Gaimon but he seems to be on the ball with a lot of things.

it is amazing that Lance hasn't gotten his face rearranged at some stage. he was never going to go quietly but it is bizarre to see how much people are willing to tolerate him.
anything Lance is involved in should be boycotted and lambasted at every opportunity.
hopefully he has a major EPO induced heart attack soon.

GCN/Eurosport/Discovery seem to have a rule that they never mention Lance by name and never mention the Discovery cycling team of the 2000s.
yep so he's still a scourge on the sport.

I didn't know Lance had a hand in those publications. Cyclingtips had taken over as my daily cycling read from cyclingnews, but then they started to charge for every little thing and, as my interest in the sport was waning anyway, I thought fuck that.

cyclingtips had a separate section for women's cycling and it was great. they had some excellent writers (such as Abi Mickey - who is married to Toms Skuijns) but then, out of the blue, that was scaled right back and a tonne of their writers were fired. Fucking Lance.

Eddie Dunbar was 9th on GC in Romandie and is heading to the Giro next.
Egan Bernal rode well on the mountain stage in Romandie coming in with Eddie.

The seven day women's Vuelta Femenina begins today (1-5-2023).
Irish riders Fiona Mangan and Mia Griffin are both starting - hopefully the can see it through.

Eddie Dunbar was 9th on GC in Romandie and is heading to the Giro next.
Egan Bernal rode well on the mountain stage in Romandie coming in with Eddie.

The seven day women's Vuelta Femenina begins today (1-5-2023).
Irish riders Fiona Mangan and Mia Griffin are both starting - hopefully the can see it through.
interesting to see what the plan for Eddie is. They don't seem to have a GC contender so I reckon they're chasing stages. With Postlberger, Eddie and Bling, they'd be capable of getting a couple.

Ben Healy also one to watch for a stage or 2. No Sam so, despite his poor form this year, they're still considering him for the TdeF, but wouldn't be surprised if they hold him over until La Vuelta.

And the team of wankers, Astana, being lead by Cavendish with the odious Gianna Moscon also starting. They don't make any effort to be likeable.

I can't see anyone who will remotely challenge Roglic for the overall. Remco, maybe, but depends on the type of juice they give him. If a classics rider is anywhere near the overall then its a bigger joke than cycling usually is.

Team lists are here Startlist for Giro d'Italia 2023

interesting to see what the plan for Eddie is. They don't seem to have a GC contender so I reckon they're chasing stages. With Postlberger, Eddie and Bling, they'd be capable of getting a couple.

Ben Healy also one to watch for a stage or 2. No Sam so, despite his poor form this year, they're still considering him for the TdeF, but wouldn't be surprised if they hold him over until La Vuelta.

And the team of wankers, Astana, being lead by Cavendish with the odious Gianna Moscon also starting. They don't make any effort to be likeable.

I can't see anyone who will remotely challenge Roglic for the overall. Remco, maybe, but depends on the type of juice they give him. If a classics rider is anywhere near the overall then its a bigger joke than cycling usually is.

Team lists are here Startlist for Giro d'Italia 2023
the EF team is loaded with climbers - very strong on that front. Uran is 36 now and is a bit quiet in 2023 so Carthy who has gone well in every stage race is likely to be the main man.
no doubt a talented young rider's best option is to target a few stages rather than GC and on a strong team Healy will be have plenty of work to do.

Eddie is nicely set up now. Usually not many Giro riders do Romandie but he needed the racing.
Ineos showed him no respect after all he did for them.

Roglic has to be the favourite - he had Remco under his thumb in Catalunya and might very well have beaten him at the 2022 Vuelta if he hadn't crashed out in awful (accidental) circumstances that made a mockery of the rules (as we said at the time).

Strictly as people, I don't dislike Roglic or Pogacar at all. Nothing obviously dislikeable and they race win on a wide variety of fronts and show huge respect to the other races. Unfortunately a few lads are winning nearly all the big races but we have seen far worse in the past.

Looking forward to women's Vuelta opening road stage today after opening TTT yesterday.

agreed, even though both are dirty cheats

but compared to the likes of Lance, Froome or Wiggins, they are likeable dirty cheats, while those 3 are horrible bastards.
Froome wasn't as bad as Lance!
Yeah - the Slovenians are heavily juiced.

Wiggo changed a lot when his road career took off - liked him before that,
Wiggo seems to have a lot of problems at the moment and is only really beginning to deal with abuse he suffered as a young teen from a coach. He said he's lost all interest in cycling, which must be brutal as his identity for most of his life was based around the bike.
I think Wiggins needs to do something completely different with his outside sport.

The world would be a far better place without Lance. Difficult to imagine any scenario where I could feel sorry for him.

This is interesting

This line sums up the whole thing for me

Canada’s Olympic cross-country silver medallist, Alison Sydor, saying it was “no different functionally than doping"

at elite-level sport it is impossible to take the argument to exclude trans athletes, seriously, COS THE WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF THEM ARE DOPING

This is interesting

This line sums up the whole thing for me

at elite-level sport it is impossible to take the argument to exclude trans athletes, seriously, COS THE WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF THEM ARE DOPING
Yep - hypocrisy sucks as regards that silly comment by Alison Sydor.

I had no idea what UCI's policy on transwomen was - so I didn't see this coming.
is there any precedent for this? i.e. trans women doing well in elite races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back