Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

Sam Bennett won stage 1 of the Vuelta a San Juan in Argentina about 10:20 pm GMT Sunday night.
there was a bad crash with 3.5 km left. great lead out by Danny Van Poppel.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Luciano Armani (1940 - 3 February 2023)
Winner of two Giro stages and a spectacular 1971 Tour stage into Marseille. Armani outsprinted Merckx in a breakaway on a 251* km stage that finished 90 minutes ahead of schedule, averaging over 45 km!!
Armani also won several semi classics and Suisse and Paris-Nice stages. Plus he was a gregario of Eddy on his first Giro win in 1968.
wiki article says 245 km but everywhere says stage 12 of 1971 Tour was 251 km @ 5:25:28.

Estela Dominguez (2004 - 9 February 2023) was killed by a hit and run driver while training. She was a neo pro with Sopela.
Estela's father Juan Carlos Dominguez was a short stage race expert w/ Kelme (and the ill fated McCartney set up)

Robert Cazala (1934 - 17 February 2023)
Won four Tour stages and spent 6 days in yellow. Cazala spent his entire career (1958-68) at Mercier mostly as a team mate of Poulidor.

haven't been following cycling much this season (and a bit less every year) but...
one of the best races of the year today - Strade Bianche. Loads of hills on the white gravel roads of Tuscany finishing in square of Siena's old city (a UNESCO world heritage site) which has a serious cobbled climb up to it.
the race was created in the 2000's to revive the kind of racing common in Italy before the war but which all but died out for decades as a result of tarmac / cars.
one the best finishes of 2022 in the women's race:

also remember the awful crash where Alaphilippe and a load of other lads were hit by a freak gust wind?

the one who one the women's race was only racing pro for the second time ever? Puck someone.
Puck Pieterse was 5th in Strade.
I was trying to think where I knew the name Puck from and realised just now she's a big star in Cyclocross.

in the Junior Road Worlds in 2018 Laura Stigger won her first ever road race but she was a local from Innsbruck and knew the roads backwards. Normally she's a mountain biker and was also Junior World champ in 2018.

Puck Pieterse was 5th in Strade.
I was trying to think where I knew the name Puck from and realised just now she's a big star in Cyclocross.

in the Junior Road Worlds in 2018 Laura Stigger won her first ever road race but she was a local from Innsbruck and knew the roads backwards. Normally she's a mountain biker and was also Junior World champ in 2018.
there's also Puck Moonen, who isn't much of a cyclist but has about a million instagram followers.

only just heard of Puck Moonen half an hour ago... she's described as an influencer on Dutch wiki.

Jumbo-Visma riders Valter and Benoot's complete inability to work together in Strade was laughable.
they were on verge of catching Pidcock and both just kept doing their own thing and the other riders in the group were weren't much better - really disorganised.

When team mates Kopecky and Vollering came in together (already a rare sight) you'd expect the team manager (Van der Breggen?) to decide which of them won - but no! they sprinted it out and it was so close it took minutes before Vollering realised she had won.
not a good idea for SD Works.

very rare scenario - Belgians De Wolf and Dhaenens in a two man sprint for the 1990 Worlds is one the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Philippe Bouvatier (1964 - 7 April 2023)
After a highly successful amateur career Bouvatier turned pro with Renault. He rode four Tours, four Vueltas and Ttwo Giros.
After failing to impress Renault he joined BH. In 1988 he finished a career best 32nd in the Tour.
On stage 14 to Guzet Neige in the Pyrenees, Bouvatier was in a break w/ Carrera's Massimo Ghirotto and Robert Millar who was leading Fagor in Roche's absence.

In the last 350 metres, Ghirotto was dropped and Bouvatier then quickly dropped Millar but seconds later disaster struck.... Magee and McQuaid were commentating for RTE live when Pat pointed out there was a sharp corner with a few hundred metres left that the riders needed to be aware or they could go the wrong way.
Unfortunately Bouvatier did just that and Millar followed him but Ghirotto didn't. Millar quickly got back on course but after getting close to Ghirotto blew up and Ghirotto took the stage. Bouvatier was 3rd.
A disappointed Millar blamed the Gendarme who had clearly correctly signaled to go left - they must have thought he was guiding the cars.
Ghirotto gave all his prizes for the stage to Bouvatier including a Peugeot car every stage winner got that year.
Unfortunately that was as good as it got for Bouvatier and he had a journeyman career after that, ending like Millar at Le Groupement in 1995 when the company went bankrupt in mid season before the Tour.
Philippe died after suffering a stroke last December.

the disaster in the last 350 metres of the stage is from 14:20 onwards:

Armitage was 56th Imogen Cotter and Alice Sharpe both DNF.

Ben Healy's already won two races in Italy in 2023. Ardennes classics plus the Giro next.

stage 3 of Coppi e Bartali finished on velodrome. good to see old Pozzovivo finally got a team for 2023.

Healy procyclingstats:
Ben Healy

Eddie Dunbar finished the Tour of The Basque Country last week.
Bennett was last seen in Gent-Wevelgem - DNF.

The women's Roubaix on Sunday was terrific. Some of the riders in the winning break had never won a race.
Alison Jackson deservedly won having done most of the work to hold off Kopecky, Longo-Borghini, Vos etc @10 seconds.

I much prefer MVDP to WVA but finishing Roubaix in 5 hours 28 minutes is unfuckingreal!

Megan Armitage who only started cycling in 2019 (and comes from my neck of the woods) won the Tour of Extremadura overall plus a stage in March. Armitage's Arkea team dominated the race got the top 3 places on the final mountain stage that she won. This was the first time an Irish woman ever won a pro race in Europe.

Arkea were a bit disorganised on the final stage considering their dominance but Megan got the job done in the end.
any of the three Arkea riders were in a position to win the overall.
last 5 km begins @ 1:58:00 and Armitage (#93) wins @ 2:12:00. Megan interview @3:08:15.

Last edited:
some man @nuke terrorist fair play. I watched the 2 Brabanstje videos (or however you spell it). Some going by Healy but I can't get behind him at all. I have Matt Brammier levels of apathy. Anyone who races with a union jack beside their name on their helmet is not Irish. Sorry.

Megan is great. She's courting Cyrus Monk and all they seem to do is cycle everywhere. She spent the winter with him down in australia and I reckon the miles she got there have set her up well for the season. She has been notching some impressive results.

And some achievement by Cotter to be even taking the start in those races. Again, I'm put off her by the whole influencer thing. Her and Orla Walsh with their big instagram followings. Fair play, but not for me.

I see Lara Gillespie also raced. Didn't get a result but saw some photos from this photographer ( Photographer | 𝗔𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗮 𝗕𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝘁𝗮 (@ariisupertramp) • Instagram photos and videos ) . She only seems to post cycling pics in her instagram photos but she has some connection to Gillespie's team. Anyway, great photos, and glad to see Lara making the jump to that level. She has some serious power. She'll probably always be a track cyclist riding road, but that strategy never did the brit trackies any harm.

some man @nuke terrorist fair play. I watched the 2 Brabanstje videos (or however you spell it). Some going by Healy but I can't get behind him at all. I have Matt Brammier levels of apathy. Anyone who races with a union jack beside their name on their helmet is not Irish. Sorry.

Megan is great. She's courting Cyrus Monk and all they seem to do is cycle everywhere. She spent the winter with him down in australia and I reckon the miles she got there have set her up well for the season. She has been notching some impressive results.

And some achievement by Cotter to be even taking the start in those races. Again, I'm put off her by the whole influencer thing. Her and Orla Walsh with their big instagram followings. Fair play, but not for me.

I see Lara Gillespie also raced. Didn't get a result but saw some photos from this photographer ( Photographer | 𝗔𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗮 𝗕𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝘁𝗮 (@ariisupertramp) • Instagram photos and videos ) . She only seems to post cycling pics in her instagram photos but she has some connection to Gillespie's team. Anyway, great photos, and glad to see Lara making the jump to that level. She has some serious power. She'll probably always be a track cyclist riding road, but that strategy never did the brit trackies any harm.
Cheers for all the info. rettucs.

I never heard of Megan Armitage until the last two years but it turns people I know knew her most of her (pre cycling) life.

I'll reserve judgement on Healy's Irish cred - but purely as a bike rider I enjoy watching him.
Saw him at nationals in Nenagh last year.

April is the best month of the year for cycling. I was barely bothered what was going on a month ago but we are in the thick of it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back