Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

Another good rider I never heard of...
Giuseppe Fallarini (1934 - 15 May 2023)
A pro from 1956-64, Fallarini won several semi classics and rode the Giro eight times (best finish 14th in 1957). He started the Tour twice but was DNF both times.

Sante Ranucci (1933 - 20 May 2023)
1955 World amateur road champion in Frascati in his home region of Lazio. Ranucci was a nearly man as a pro who despite 2nd places in the Fleche Wallonne and Giro stages, never won a pro race.
12th place in the 1958 Giro was his best GC.

Today British Cycling has banned trans women from competing as women.
This particularly affects 22 y.o. track cyclist Emily Bridges (see article).
whatever anyone's opinion on this the women who have their careers ended by this are the victims in this.

Today British Cycling has banned trans women from competing as women.
This particularly affects 22 y.o. track cyclist Emily Bridges (see article).
whatever anyone's opinion on this the women who have their careers ended by this are the victims in this.
and to reiterate what I've said on this before, in the grand scheme of things, this is such a non-issue, but the transphobes have latched onto it as if its gonna cause armageddon.

A reality is that there are very few trans women competing in elite sports. Another reality is that there is rampant doping in elite sports. Yet another reality is that, given one problem is minuscule and the other is massive, there is an entirely disproportionate focus given to the miniscule problem. So miniscule that I would argue that its not even a problem.

But the terfs are basically all this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Naturally no suggestion of Geraint Thomas being a doper after the Giro performance
I didn't think it needed saying.

the fight has gone out of everyone who used to call out dopers. The dopers won. They fucked the sport, and pricks like Thomas and Froome are welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't think it needed saying.

the fight has gone out of everyone who used to call out dopers. The dopers won. They fucked the sport, and pricks like Thomas and Froome are welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah. 100% or RIP clean cycling.
Never been worse.
Paul Kimmage was right. he doesn't cover cycling anyone.
We are so apathetic now we don't expect any different.

That was actually great
Hinault is some dickhead hahaha
Bernie Hinault was the biggest cycling bully this side of Lance. Lance used his power and privilege far beyond cycling but Bernie only wanted to be the peloton patron and have a big farm.

the interview with Hinault and LeMond after the extremely famous 1986 Alpe D'huez stage was staggering.
Greg turned down the chance to drop team mate Bernie and gifted him the stage.
but in a bizarre joint interview on French TV afterwards Hinault claimed he could still win the Tour especially if Greg had a mishap. The stunned look on LeMond's face when he realised he should have dropped Hinault and finished him off...

the doc. was excellent but I missed a lot of it but saw it from where the 1986 Tour began. Somehow I never saw it before.
I think it was one of the 30 documentaries '30 For 30' that ESPN made for their 30th anniversary in 2011.
I saw at lot of them but somehow missed this one.
the ones I saw were nearly all superb.

actually Slaying The Badger was from 2014.
seems after the initial 30 docs went down a storm it became an ongoing series with 157 episodes to date.

Hinault's bio Souvenirs of The Pelton published shortly after he retired, is remarkably short - it's about 2 1/2 hour read at most.

my favourite bits both come from 1984:
Bernie unnecessarily attacks while leading the Dauphine (ala the incredible stage 13 of 1986 Tour won by LeMond).
but he was beginning to crack when it started to snow. Martin Ramirez (one of many Colombians who didn't fulfil his potential in Europe) passed Hinault and won the stage and GC - a big break through for Colombia.
Hinault blew up and plenty of other riders passed him. He was in bits at the finish and Ramirez won GC by 27 secs. w/ LeMond 3rd @ over 5 minutes.

With the 1984 Tour almost lost Hinault launched a long range attack on the Alpe d'Huez stage17 . Fignon said after that he laughed when heard Bernie had made such a desperate attack.
On the Alpe Luis Herrera drops Hinault (@ 4:55) and becomes the first Colombian to win a Tour stage. Fignon comes up to Hinault (@6:10) and goes straight past increasing his lead by nearly 3 minutes and 10:32 in Paris.
When Millar comes up to Hinault, Robert sits on his wheel initially refusing to come through before leaving Hinault for dead @ 12:35.
Afterwards Hinault is seething when he hears Fignon's comment.

Roche was having a shit race but was a solid 11th on the stage @ 4:23.
Kelly got hammered losing over 9 minutes. Considering he was 16:35 down in Paris, a decent ride on the Alpe and runner up in the Tour would have been a possibility.

Hinault beat Thevenet to win the 1977 Dauphine. Thevenet subsequently won the '77 Tour and there was a clamour for Cyril Guimard to put Hinault in the Tour team but they refused to budge.
This a lot of folks favourite Hinault win:
Already leading GC Hinault attacked on a Saturday stage with a big live TV audience and then crashes disappearing off the road on a descent. As the cameraman looks into the ravine you fear the worst but Hinault appears holding on to a tree to climb back on the road helped by Guimard. Amazingly he seems OK and quickly gets going before Thevenet appears.
BUT on the final short climb the adrenaline fades and shock kicks in. Hinault gets off his bike. Guimard gets out of the car and apparently was screaming at him to get moving again and the mechanic pushes him off and Hinault manages to win the stage.

Hinault sees out the following stages to take the GC. What a set of riders he beat.

the French wing of ESPN Classic did a rebroadcast of this stage but I can't find it on youtube. now.
despite what the video caption says it Saturday 4-6-1977.

That's mad. Hinault was some character! Total prick, but gotta respect that getting up out of the ravine to keep going, mental
might be the most famous moment in the history of the Dauphine!
in the 90's Cyclesport mag picked their best 50 riders ever. they picked a career defining moment for the best 20 riders.
they choose that 1977 Dauphine stage win for Hinault. he was only 22.
EDIT:
another thing about Hinault's autobiography was how he had no regard for his rivals. He uses the expression ''teach ________ a lesson'' a few times. he was an extreme bully and didn't respect the other riders at all. really nasty mentality.
that's why I love his accounts of getting smashed by Ramirez and Herrera / Fignon.
END EDIT.
in the 90's I'd read about things like that or the 1986 Tour feud or Saronni v LeMond v Boyer v Kelly in the 1982 Worlds finale at Goodwood, Earley's Giro mountain stage win or Millar winning the only stage were Kelly had the yellow jersey (1983) or whatever and never having seen the footage and wonder what the it would be like.
then the 1998 RTE documentaries about Roche and Kelly gave us a chance to see some of this stuff.

it like waiting 20 years for a record to be reissued and then finally dropping the needle on it

Last edited:
never saw that site before.
Kelly's first stage win in 1978.
in a break he beats several top riders:
Gerrie Knetemann (RIP) Dutch legend who became world champ shortly after. great TT and classics man.
Sven Ake Nilsson - a Swede who finished in top ten on the Tour and podium in Vuelta.
Jos Bruyere - a loyal domestique of Merckx who won Liege that year.

Kelly's boss Freddy Martens (Vert) crashes afterwards and wasn't happy with a Renault team mate of Hinault...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back