Tour de France 2007 thread (1 Viewer)

Yep - hypocrisy sucks as regards that silly comment by Alison Sydor.

I had no idea what UCI's policy on transwomen was - so I didn't see this coming.
is there any precedent for this? i.e. trans women doing well in elite races.
Not that I'm aware of, other than the race referenced in the article.

Its only weight-lifting that I've heard of where trans women are competing and winning. But that could hardly be considered a sport, and most certainly is not clean.

Absolute joke start to the Giro.
If someone can take a second plus per km out Ganna in a Giro TT they must be on some serious sauce.
Do we have any idea what has changed in the last few years with the young riders (doping wise)?

Is gene doping finally here after being on the horizon since 20 years ago or is it something else?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The women's Vuelta was really good the last few days and Lagos de Covadonga finishes it out tomorrow.
Vollering won a moderate mountain stage on Friday and looked really stuffed 10 plus minutes afterwards -
a real contrast with most winners - good to see something that looked real.
Unfortunately on Saturday the big split happened before the race came on air and wasn't captured on camera.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gaia Realini is 1.50 metres tall (4"11) and weighs 40 KG (6 stone 3 lbs)

Apparently the SD Worx team of Vollering stopped to pee early in Stage 6 on Saturday and Movistar (Van Vleuten) then attacked, later saying it was pre planned to go at that point.
Anyhow the Covadonga stage 7 was a cracker w/ Vollering needing to recover over a minute.

Apparently the SD Worx team of Vollering stopped to pee early in Stage 6 on Saturday and Movistar (Van Vleuten) then attacked, later saying it was pre planned to go at that point.
Anyhow the Covadonga stage 7 was a cracker w/ Vollering needing to recover over a minute.

I read the same and then read somewhere that Vollering did the same to someone else in a race last year, which is the main reason they didn't stop. Karma and that.

Absolute joke start to the Giro.
If someone can take a second plus per km out Ganna in a Giro TT they must be on some serious sauce.
Do we have any idea what has changed in the last few years with the young riders (doping wise)?

Is gene doping finally here after being on the horizon since 20 years ago or is it something else?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The women's Vuelta was really good the last few days and Lagos de Covadonga finishes it out tomorrow.
Vollering won a moderate mountain stage on Friday and looked really stuffed 10 plus minutes afterwards -
a real contrast with most winners - good to see something that looked real.
Unfortunately on Saturday the big split happened before the race came on air and wasn't captured on camera.

Gaia Realini is 1.50 metres tall (4"11) and weighs 40 KG (6 stone 3 lbs)

Great question re Remco. I have no idea what kind of juice could make him stand out to that level. I'd say its not about the juice, but rather about his reaction to it. Lance used to talk about that a lot. Find a lad with a naturally low resting heart rate. I remember reading David Epstein saying that Damiano Cunego was the most physiologically blessed rider ever. Lads like that you can push the hardest. I'd say Remco has some weird physiology which means his gain from the juice is off the scales.

RE Annemeik v Demi:
Maybe it's just the old story that yer DS gives orders for lousy unsporting tactics.
"I was just following orders!"

Fiona Mangan finished 75th behind Vollering @ 22 plus minutes on Covadonga and 99th overall in Vuelta Feminina. There were 127 finishers.
Really nice weeks work - new territory for Irish women.

There are so many Irish women pros now I can't keep up with 'em all.

Also Lara Gillespie (UAE development team) finished 2nd in a Belgian one day race over the weekend won in a sprint by former road world champ Amalie Dideriksen who like Lara seems to be better known as a track rider.

Healy and Dunbar both kept up their good starts in the Giro today.

RE Annemeik v Demi:
Maybe it's just the old story that yer DS gives orders for lousy unsporting tactics.
"I was just following orders!"

Fiona Mangan finished 75th behind Vollering @ 22 plus minutes on Covadonga and 99th overall in Vuelta Feminina. There were 127 finishers.
Really nice weeks work - new territory for Irish women.

There are so many Irish women pros now I can't keep up with 'em all.

Also Lara Gillespie (UAE development team) finished 2nd in a Belgian one day race over the weekend won in a sprint by former road world champ Amalie Dideriksen who like Lara seems to be better known as a track rider.

Healy and Dunbar both kept up their good starts in the Giro today.
I think Gillespie will move up to the top team. She is a serious talent. Still only 19/20. I believe she was a top class hockey player but cycling is where she really excelled. And, she's from the cycling heartland of Enniskerry, central to so many great wicklow routes. I was at the last day of the Ras na nBan last year (was a steward), and her power was something else. She was about the only Irish rider who could stay in that front group - and interestingly, almost all that Irish team would be better known as track riders. Armitage is the one that really surprised me. I first heard of her in the nationals a couple of years back where, I think, she came second to Imogen Cotter. She seemed to come out of nowhere and just seems to be going from strength to strength. Its great to see.

Bling's win in the Giro yesterday will take a lot of pressure off Eddie's team. They have their stage win, so anything from now is a bonus. That usually changes the mood in the team for the better.

I think Gillespie will move up to the top team. She is a serious talent. Still only 19/20. I believe she was a top class hockey player but cycling is where she really excelled. And, she's from the cycling heartland of Enniskerry, central to so many great wicklow routes. I was at the last day of the Ras na nBan last year (was a steward), and her power was something else. She was about the only Irish rider who could stay in that front group - and interestingly, almost all that Irish team would be better known as track riders. Armitage is the one that really surprised me. I first heard of her in the nationals a couple of years back where, I think, she came second to Imogen Cotter. She seemed to come out of nowhere and just seems to be going from strength to strength. Its great to see.

Bling's win in the Giro yesterday will take a lot of pressure off Eddie's team. They have their stage win, so anything from now is a bonus. That usually changes the mood in the team for the better.
Cheers for the info. I still have the Ras na mBan highlights from last year recorded but for once never watched them - shame on me - great event. Was watching Declan's highlights of it for long years.

Gillespie also finished second in another Belgian race a while back.

AFAIK Megan Armitage only started cycling after renting a bike on a holiday about 2019.
Looking at her instagram before that there are two photos of her running in the late 2010s and nothing else related to sport. I think until she was near the end of her studies she may not have been involved in sport at all and certainly wasn't competing in anything.
From 2020 Megan's instagram is nearly all cycling.
Someone who knew Megan since she was younger says she was always very goal orientated and used to succeeding. Even though my friend is a keen runner and does a bit of cycling they had no idea Megan had become a cyclist.

116 km left on in rain on Giro stage 4.
No one has been controlling race for last 20 minutes on cat 2 climb.
Race is all over the place, non stop attacking, lots of riders dropped.
Ben Healy in the thick of it at the front.

Despite Quickstep not looking bothered doing any work, Remco is just sitting near front no problem.

Could get used to this style of racing - good stuff.

Philippa York on Austin Killips and trans women in cycling.
I have reservations about what Pippa says about male puberty effects but otherwise she makes a lot of good fact based points and the language being used about trans women athletes.

I still don't know if there is an amicable solution to this - most likely not.

Philippa York on Austin Killips and trans women in cycling.
I have reservations about what Pippa says about male puberty effects but otherwise she makes a lot of good fact based points and the language being used about trans women athletes.

I still don't know if there is an amicable solution to this - most likely not.
I don't think there is either. There is a valid debate to be had about fairness, but the value often gets lost in the blatant prejudices that are on show. I even lost a lot of respect for Ross Tucker, who I thought was someone who presented a lot of coherent, scientific, points to put forward certain arguments. However, he has since shown himself to be anti-trans, which is very disappointing.

I'm a big fan of York and I think its hard to argue with much in that article. Bottom line is exactly how she says; trans athletes have not been dominating in female events. It should be such a non-issue in comparison to the obvious doping that goes on. Before I put my twitter account back on private, I got involved in one of these arguments. I was backing up what York was saying, and was making the argument that the emphasis on this non-issue is completely disproportionate to that on doping, given how big an issue one is, and how small an issue the other is.

Thanks for posting the article. I wasn't aware of the 'Union Cycliste Feminine', but its clearly a joke of an organisation when you consider who is at the helm. I respected Cooke for speaking out against bullying in British cycling, but if she wants us to think she rode clean, she can get fucked.

One of the most vocal anti-trans athletes on this issue has been Katie Archibald. She has had a very successful track career. Clean? Almost certainly not. But what is striking about Archibald is that she has, what I would consider to be, very masculine features.

And lastly, York mentions 'gender doping'. Anyone that uses this term is a fucking clown. One of the most common performance enhancing drugs/hormones used through history is testosterone. If 'gender doping' is a thing, then everyone, male, female, or other, who have ever put that shit in their body, is guilty of 'gender doping'.

I didn't read that link to the 'Union Cycliste Feminine' petition until after you posted rettucs.
I gave it a long read through and some folks in there I really thought would have known better.

the biggest victims for me are trans women suddenly losing their right to compete after years of competition. because - so far - they have been the women to lose out in other sports.

IMO leaving trans women in limbo about their future is the worst case scenario.
we'll probably never get to find out what would happen if the rules continue as they are but it's extremely hard to see it being the dystopia predicted by campaigners against trans women athletes.

this has been blown out of all proportion as Philippa York pointed out and the language used isn't helpful
e.g. 'biologically male'.

the first time I heard of the issue was after a woman got transphobic abuse for on the podium after becoming Canadian downhill MTB champ in the late 2000s. I thought for some years that she should not have been allowed compete but eventually realised I was very ignorant to make a quick judgement.
And I am still learning.

Primo Nardello (1937 - 11 May 2023)
A pro with Ignis from 1963 to 1965, Primo won three races including stages of the Volta a Catalunya and the Ruta del Sol. He rode the Giro once finishing 53rd in 1964.
Primo was an uncle of Daniele Nardello (b.1972) one of Italy's top riders at the turn of the century and his brother Luca who rode for LPR in 2004-05.

t
I read that story yesterday and the line 'Evenepoel tested positive......' ended up really disappointing me when I found out it wasn't for doping.
LOL - the amount of times that I've thought people were about to get busted for doping in the last few years when I heard ''------------ has tested positive for........... COVID'' - ha ha!
or ''tested positive for CO-CAINE'' - especially if it wasn't a sportsperson.

6 gone out of the Giro with COVID now. inc. Rigoberto Uran who Hannah from Eurosport followed w/ Tejay VG in the EF car yesterday. Rigo looked OK and was in good form when she interviewed him after the TT.

Vaughters was on Eurosport in studio as a pundit a for few days. he said Rigo is so popular in Colombia that a 40 episode drama about is life is in the pipeline.
Rigo's father was murdered when he was 14 and he was finished school shortly afterwards and was a pro in Colombia within a few years.

t

LOL - the amount of times that I've thought people were about to get busted for doping in the last few years when I heard ''------------ has tested positive for........... COVID'' - ha ha!
or ''tested positive for CO-CAINE'' - especially if it wasn't a sportsperson.

6 gone out of the Giro with COVID now. inc. Rigoberto Uran who Hannah from Eurosport followed w/ Tejay VG in the EF car yesterday. Rigo looked OK and was in good form when she interviewed him after the TT.

Vaughters was on Eurosport in studio as a pundit a for few days. he said Rigo is so popular in Colombia that a 40 episode drama about is life is in the pipeline.
Rigo's father was murdered when he was 14 and he was finished school shortly afterwards and was a pro in Colombia within a few years.
see this nuke?

check out the article Shane Stokes links to.

I'm still not buying it though. Healy is a brit

see this nuke?

check out the article Shane Stokes links to.

I'm still not buying it though. Healy is a brit

not an at all unusual situation in Ireland or cycling or sport or anywhere else.
I couldn't give a shit if he doesn't know a word of Irish.
Saturday was one less Giro stage for GB and one more for Ireland.

the Algerian or Moroccan soccer teams are full of lads who grew up in Europe more so than Ireland's team ever had Irish Granny players.
4 lads from the Moroccan team at the 2022 WC grew up in Holland alone.
of the Irish Granny soccer players really only Mark Lawrenson, Alex Bruce (switched to N.I.) and Declan 'proud Irishman' Rice made a mistake declaring for Ireland.

the only other guy that might possibly have been better off waiting for an England call up was Steve Heighway.

it happens everywhere and tends to be mutually beneficial
EDIT:
P.S. pretty good, honest interview with Velonews.
I'll be prepared to change my mind but no problems w/ Healy so far.

Last edited:
UP THE RAH!!
*NIOS MO BEN HEALY BHUAIGH ROTHAIOCHT TOICFAIDH!

Actually The Ras begins early this year, on Wednesday.
hope to go see some of Birr-Ennis stage on Thursday.
I was hoping to follow the local cycling scene more this year but apart from looking at Sticky Bottle a bit more, I haven't really - sorry.

*had to use translator to get sentence remotely coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back