thumped.com site subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Re: I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

broken arm said:
prolly wrong but can you contact whoever deals with the stats for the site to which the ad is pointing and tot up the referrals from this site.
I expect that wouldn't work.

A lot of trust is displayed on the net - it's how a lot of it works - like eBay and like Soulseek - share and share alike etc. However Pete would be dependant on the information supplied by external sites, and it might not necessarily be accurate. They could say, yeah... we got... am.... 120 visits this month, when in reality it might be 1200 - Pete would lose big time.

Plus, Pete's busy - so are the webmasters of the other sites - they aint gonna have time to deal with requests like that.

So, I don't think it's a runner.

not saying thats something Pete would have time to do but its actually a part of a web administrators job. Most companies placing adverts on sites will only pay up when a minimum amount of refferals have come through the site they are advertising with and the way they do this is by reading stats.

actually phpAdsnew does it's own stats, so i can keep track of what's working & what isn't. It also allows individual advertisers to log in & check their stats / change their ads, which is good.

I'll be perfectly honest here - everyone knows that the click through rates on banner ads are pretty shit. The best performing ad here in a while was the Horrorthon one, which has had 15,418 ads displayed with only 45 people clicking on it.

I'm not trying to pass this off as something it's not - I'm not saying that an ad here will generate shitloads of extra traffic to a site. It won't. Fuck it, i'm not even trying to flog advertising banners here. (yet)

Sometimes people forget that running an ad isn't just about getting immediate results.... But that's another reason why the arse fell out of the internet advertising market.

you should really not bother with the whole web-hosting and email address route. t'would be too much of a hassle for you and the initial set-up costs would be a bit shitty.

the 20 euro option a year with ads and some basic upgrade functions (profile size etc.) would seem a lot easier.

but then again, i'm sure this topic is gonna be taken out for disection tomorrow (isn't it a bank holiday over there?)

enchance said:
you should really not bother with the whole web-hosting and email address route. t'would be too much of a hassle for you and the initial set-up costs would be a bit shitty.
It's included in the hosting package & I'm hosting a couple of sites FOC for people on the server already. It's not a big deal to be honest.

the 20 euro option a year with ads and some basic upgrade functions (profile size etc.) would seem a lot easier.
With yer own banner ad or with no option to remove ads?

but then again, i'm sure this topic is gonna be taken out for disection tomorrow (isn't it a bank holiday over there?)
Yep and yep.

The option for the subscriber to submit ads not view them. I guess as long as said ads are kept to the maximum required filesize non-subscribers will be happy.

to be honest i had considered it alright.... but half of me is thinking "other sites are charging 20 quid per 1,000 ads shown" while half of me is thinking "yeah but nobody's actually paying it" while half of me is thinking "best be careful over this one - don't want to shoot meself in the foot".

yeah i need to lose weight

if you just give the subscriber the right to submit ads and a profile boast (minus a visible "i'm a super member" status) things should go right as rain. surely 40 members at 20 euros a pop will go along way to cover costs for a year.

the problem with that is it completely wipes out whatever benefit banner ads had in the first place - 40 people = 40 ads all running at the same time...

I'm all about the market segmentation and product differentiation these days

To be clear on this - 20 quid for a 12 month banner? I'm not running a charity here, dude. Anymore

pete said:
To be clear on this - 20 quid for a 12 month banner? I'm not running a charity here, dude. Anymore
especially considering most companies pay hundreds if not thousands for shorter run ads on sites

ah jaysis lads, the point i'm trying to make it that this is thumped, not fucking google or cnn.

are we getting too big for our boots? sustain not profit.

profit?

Did you even read the first post?

How 'bout ya pm everyone and ask them to register with ebay through the banner and to click the google ones more often

Because "encouraging" people to do these things is against their T&C's. I'd never do that.

i've been thinking about this, not enough to start posting in this thread yet but soon..

Here.... could you put this ad up?

juniors.jpg

Hey i'm not fussy,

pete said:
if it does happen it'll be paypal initially (because the automatic processing for this is built in to the message board) & maybe the same credit card processing thing we used to set up the Hope online purchasing.
Seems everyone has a credit card these days...i`m years behind..i`m more of a Postal Order dude myself....

I see no problem with this.20 quid a year is cool.
I don`t like that CDWow thingy though....they don`t even sell Pixies albums for criss sake!

Rimbaud said:
Seems everyone has a credit card these days...i`m years behind..i`m more of a Postal Order dude myself....

I see no problem with this.20 quid a year is cool.
I don`t like that CDWow thingy though....they don`t even sell Pixies albums for criss sake!
with ye der rimbaud cd wow suks like a fair city omnibus

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back