thumped.com site subscriptions (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

Right so.... this one shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, as it's been floated before. I'm seriously considering implementing a Subscription system for the site. Basically, joe punter (i.e. you) donates to thumped.com (i.e. me) a small annual fee in order to fund the upkeep of this site. I'm not doing this because I think anyone 'owes' me / the site anything. To be honest I've held off on doing something like this until now because it represents a shift in why I do this site, in some ways making it more of an obligation than a hobby for me.

The basic idea is a 2 tier structure, with individuals either donating a certain amount each year in return for the respect and admiration of their peers & some extra message board features, or optionally donating more in return for certain premium extras. The functionality to implement this is already built in to vBulletin 3, but there are a few reasons for this coming up now other than "because I can"....

I might as well get straight to the point: THIS IS ABOUT MONEY. When the hosting costs, software subscription costs, phone costs & (fuck it, I don’t care how this sounds) the value of my time are all added up, it's costing me a not-inconsiderable amount of cash to keep the site going. On a month to month basis it's not so bad, but when I think about how much time and money I've spent on this site over the last few years, and all the other things I could be spending it on....

I guess because I work in I.T. for a living I'm constantly aware of the fact that I could be actually getting paid for my evenings spent in front of the computer... or even could be out having a fucking life or something. Anyway, I've tried running 'commercial' ads from eBay, Google etc but have had fuck all success with them. Only TWO people did the eBay signup thing, generating 9 quid (thank you Dudley & Andy), and in the 3 months or so they’ve been running the Google ads have generated $18 (because hardly anyone is clicking the banners). All of this is completely academic because I'll never see any of if due to the minimum payout rules. I'm trying CD Wow at the moment, but 100 "units" need to be sold before they pay, so I'm not holding my breath on this one. (100 units = stg£25 quid commission, incidentally).

Another reason for trying to raise cash is the quality of the existing hosting. The reliability of the shared server we're on now leaves a lot to be desired, and bandwidth usage is increasing every month. If things keep going this way I reckon we'll be exceeding our monthly allowance within 4 months.

We're getting to the stage where I'll have to seriously consider moving everything to a dedicated server. But to do this we'll need to spend even more money and to be blunt, this is money which I can't really justify spending out of my own pocket any more. And apart from the fact that dedicated servers do not come cheap, there's an increased administrative overhead in managing them.... so it would mean even more of my time spent managing things, or getting someone else to do it for me - something I wouldn't be prepared to ask anyone else to do for free.

So what's in it for you? Well, in return for subscribing you'd get to feel all warm inside, knowing that you were doing your bit for the community & helping to keep this show on the road. Ok, as well as that you'd get some other stuff to make you stand out from the crowd, possibly including some or all of the following:

Supporters - €20 donation
  • Additional "Subscriber" user title
  • Access to a private subscribers forum
  • An option to remove banner ads. <-- Not coded yet. Soon
  • A thumped.com POP3 email address
  • Allow invisible mode
  • View who's online
  • Post events on the calendar
  • Set own custom title
  • Use images in signature <-- On hold.
  • 250 Private Messages
  • 1mb storage for attachments
  • Add user notes
  • Post user profile pictures
  • See who rated you
Sponsors - €50 donation
Get all of the above, plus
  • 2mb attachment storage
  • Your own banner ad
  • Maybe a little webhosting too
I’m not suggesting that these things are worth 20 or 50 quid, because I know they aren’t – but that’s not what this is about (actually the banner ad is WELL worth it, but anyways). In any event that list of stuff may / probably definitely would change... I'm going to have to look at what features are most resource-intensive on the server.

I'm not threatening to close the site down if people don't cough up, and there's no suggestion that people won't be able to use the site if they don't pay or anything like that. But I know the score and I fully expect some people to think I'm a complete prick for even suggesting this. I hope those of you who that think site subscriptions are a fucked up thing to suggest have the decency to tell me here rather than bitch about it / me elsewhere - I really do want to know what people think before I make a decision on this.

But the bottom line is it's time for the site to start paying its own way. In the meantime, you can always go set up your own website, install some forum software, wait 5 years for a community to build & then maybe I can visit and bitch at YOU when you realise that the money to maintain these things don't just fall from the fucking sky.

Opinions, please.

Edit: Here's the links....

What do I have to do?
At the moment there's only two payment options, both of which require a credit card. I'm working on alternative arrangements and will update this page when it's done.

2Checkout.com
This one has to be processed manually to activate the message board extras (probably when i get home in the evening). But it's handy for me because they pay by cheque. This is the same company that processes payments for Document.

Paypal
This one's integrated with the board & should automatically apply the changes within a few minutes, but it's actually impossible to withdraw the money to an Irish bank account at the moment....

Re: I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

maybe we could try the ebay thing again?
seems like the easiest (read: totally free-ist and takes like 2 seconds) way to make the site a few bones.

andrew

TESTAROSSA said:
maybe we could try the ebay thing again?
seems like the easiest (read: totally free-ist and takes like 2 seconds) way to make the site a few bones.

andrew
Done. Worth a try.

pete said:
Done. Worth a try.
you need to get in touch with your capitalist side man ,i only recently discovered this sit and think in the words of a galwegian tis mighty ,i dont proclaim to have anything of interest to say but i like it here,so i'm willim to pay pm me if you want a chickens neck

highnigh said:
you need to get in touch with your capitalist side man ,i only recently discovered this sit and think in the words of a galwegian tis mighty ,i dont proclaim to have anything of interest to say but i like it here,so i'm willim to pay pm me if you want a chickens neck
jesus christ my typing leaves a lot to be desired

pete said:
Done. Worth a try.
uhh in case the ad isn't showing, the link is actually http://www.qksrv.net/click-1360031-5048469

And if you happen to choose to register with eBay after you click the link then it's all good :)

I hope that last HINT wasn't too subtle

I believe i had a similar discussion with you this time last year pete, but considering how much money was brought in by the christmas party last year, maybe a thumped christmas party this year involving all the folks who've benefitted from thumped would be a better way to pay for the site.(it were close to a grand last year if memory serves, which is probably more than you'd get from subscriptions realistically).

Ed said:
I believe i had a similar discussion with you this time last year pete, but considering how much money was brought in by the christmas party last year, maybe a thumped christmas party this year involving all the folks who've benefitted from thumped would be a better way to pay for the site.(it were close to a grand last year if memory serves, which is probably more than you'd get from subscriptions realistically).
ah but the hassle... the hassle.....

is there a cap on archiving and attachment storage?

broken arm said:
is there a cap on archiving and attachment storage?
There is a cap in place at the moment - i've had to limit it to 100k because I checked the statistics and saw that a good few users were using over 1mb, then multiplied it by the number of active users....

But that 512k is a mistake - it should be 1mb for the €20 subs and 2mb for the €50.

(I have people that want to upload posters or fliers for gigs they're pimping as attachments in mind here.)

is that a 100k limit on upload or 100k limit on space for each user. I figure you could save a lot of space by having a shorter shelf life for threads. Maybe flag threads as they are going to deletion so that any important ones can be held.
This is just creating more work for you so feel free to poke me in the eye

100k per user

the threads themselves don't use up much space, but the attachments do. Plus bigger attachments = more bandwidth used when they're downloaded. All adds up.

whats th eaddress to send money to? i have easily gotten 20 quids worth of value from this /eirecore.

if it does happen it'll be paypal initially (because the automatic processing for this is built in to the message board) & maybe the same credit card processing thing we used to set up the Hope online purchasing.

Pete - any figures on the amount of visibility one's banner ad is likely to get for the EUR50.

Number of times per 1000 page impressions it will appear? Etc etc?

(Sorry if my question is not in keeping with the tone of your post, I appreciate the value of the community that exists here, and I realise you are trying to cover costs, not make a buck - but an answer to this would be of interest to me. Thanks.)

M.

any figures on the amount of visibility one's banner ad is likely to get for the EUR50

heh good question.

As you know, there's two ways of charging for banner ads - cpm or fixed duration.

The 'traditional' way to charge for internet advertising is the CPM rate - the cost per 1,000 ads shown. Basically you pay for a fixed number of displayed ads. You can see rate cards for different sites on http://www.medialive.ie/internet/campaign/ratecards.htm

Since installing the banner ad software there's been over 1,300,000 ads shown here. If we operated the CPM model, and if every ad displayed was paid for (!), then I'd be writing this from Mauritius. It's completely unrealistic and is probably the main reason the arse fell out of the internet advertising market. Everyone is moving to a performance based model, such as the ebay paying £4.50 for each new registration, or Google's pay per click system, but i don't really have the time (or inclination) to sort this out here.

Instead of this I'd be offering the option to have a banner ad in rotation for 12 months. It's hard to say how many of your ads would be displayed, but so far this month there's been just under 250,000 ads shown. Each ad currently running gets a chunk of this on a pro-rata basis.

Hope this helps

pete said:
Hope this helps
It does - and EUR50 is a good deal - considering one gets to partipate fully in Thumped included in the deal.

One last question - in this one year period - can the banner ad be changed? I presume you're answer will have to be yes - because conditions change - what one is advertising now may not be the same in six months time and your audience will be extremely pissed off seeing the same ads time and time again. Will you be able to support ad-alteration requests?

M.

prolly wrong but can you contact whoever deals with the stats for the site to which the ad is pointing and tot up the referrals from this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back