this man is so much cooler then you (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
gbv.jpg

Ah! Robert Pollard...

God in a shirt.
Now, altogether:

"The club is open... c'mon, c'mon the club is open"

Fiachra, you've made my day!

What's their new stuff like? I read a few reviews recently that said it harked back to earlier days, and another Alien Lanes is exactly what I want to hear now.
I kind of stopped buying any of their stuff at Mag Earwhig, although listening to it now, it doesn't sound as bad as I decided it was at the time.

mildeuphoria said:
What's their new stuff like? I read a few reviews recently that said it harked back to earlier days, and another Alien Lanes is exactly what I want to hear now.
I kind of stopped buying any of their stuff at Mag Earwhig, although listening to it now, it doesn't sound as bad as I decided it was at the time.
Most recent LP Earthquake Glue is a better album than its predecessor Universal Truths And Cyclones - cleaner; obligatory crap closing track

somewhat of a "hark back" but not quite

Isolation Drills was very punch-the-air / best of the last half dozen

Do The Collapse is somewhat weak by their standards but has some great tunes

hmmmm, where are we?

Hardcore UFOs box is fantastic and everyone should own a copy. the best of CD is a well-sequenced introduction (but the running order is better on the single disc)

The Earthquake Glue demos came out on vinyl only in January - called Edison's Demos. The songs sound surprisingly muscular.

As for the offshoot stuff; I could talk about it all day but the cream of the crop is Pollard's Speak Kindly Of Your Fire Volunteer Service / Airport 5 Tower In The Fountain Of Sparks and Lifeguards King Mist Urth

the Suitcase 100 box that came out since you stopped buying GBV material is pretty good; about 50% gems.

nothing they do will ever surpass the Bee / Alien / Bushes trilogy but they still rock like no other band out there

Sorry about that Fiachra. I have it here somewhere.

Anyway, my introductory album was Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. It still has a special place in my heart. But these days I think Propellor is my favourite. Isolation Drills is excellent and everyone should own a copy. Although I'm not sure if it was released here. Do the Collapse is crap in fairness.

Still have to get Bee Thousand and Vampire on Titus. And Earthquake Glue.

I heard Earthquake Glue first not 12 months ago and was blown. Away.
Then Mike bought the best of thing and was blown longer and deeper.
Then this amazing guy from cork that I always meet in cork sent me loads of burnt older albums like bee etc and I came all over the place.

That song: "my life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner" has nearly made me cry before. something about a contact buzz. sigh.

i think some of the songs on earthquake glue are the best they've ever done.
'the best of jill hives' is genius. i'm sort of fortunate in that do the colapse was the first album i heard so even though people say its the weakest, i still love it. i hope they play here again.

Goodness! I knew he was prolific, but for some reason I thought he'd slowed down in the past few years. Alien Lanes was my first taste, so has always been a firm favourite.

Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do...

mildeuphoria said:
Goodness! I knew he was prolific, but for some reason I thought he'd slowed down in the past few years. Alien Lanes was my first taste, so has always been a firm favourite.

Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do...
Haha, jesus! Since he split with his wife (around the time of Do the Collapse) he has got worse. The amount of Side Projects etc is just silly! I decided to give up after I bought a couple of really below par ones. They started off so strong though with Lexo and The Leapers, Fire Department and Kid Marine all being great albums.

Not that I mind him putting out a lot of material, I just get annoyed when he puts out singoes with "Exclusive" b-sides and then collects them all on a cd/lp 12 months later with "exclusive" tracks. I think that sort of behaviour is low.

http://www.gbv.com/

I knew you were a big GBV person, Choking Tara. Isn't that a track from Mag Earwhig!?

On that point, does anyone know where you can get the shirt that's featured on the inlay cover?

Mr. Pollard is my GOD.

Saw GBV in the Ambassador last year(?) and while they didn't live up to my expectations/dreams/fantasies, he still made me cream my pants!!!

Daisy's Dukes said:
Mr. Pollard is my GOD.

Saw GBV in the Ambassador last year(?) and while they didn't live up to my expectations/dreams/fantasies, he still made me cream my pants!!!
Actually that was the 31st August 2002. I wasn't in the country at the time and have never had the privilege of seeing them live.

Will they ever return to this island? They had a tour in Europe last year and went to London. Did they not like it here when they played?

And if they do play next time, it should be upstairs in the Palace.

choking_tara said:
Haha, jesus! Since he split with his wife (around the time of Do the Collapse) he has got worse.

did he split with his wife

There is an interview in tape-op magazine where they ask him why he uses home recording so much, and someone in the band says it's cause his wife won't let him waste money on studio time, then Bob complains his wife won't let him by pot either

I guess she had to go

Pantone247 said:
did he split with his wife

There is an interview in tape-op magazine where they ask him why he uses home recording so much, and someone in the band says it's cause his wife won't let him waste money on studio time, then Bob complains his wife won't let him by pot either

I guess she had to go
Did you go and see them at the Ambassador? The girl on the Merch stall is his new girlfriend, she was about 25!

Yeah, he split with her and think he went through a really rough patch from all accounts.

The Ambassador show was a bit of a let down , especially as the gig in Belfast a couple of nights before it was the best I had ever seen them. It was the best setlist I have ever seen them play. I even got a free t-shirt for knowing the words to "Alone , Stinking and Unafraid"

One of the best gigs I've ever been to!

Oh yeah, both the Liars and the Rapture were supposed to supposrt in Dublin and neither showed :mad:

billygannon said:
I knew you were a big GBV person, Choking Tara. Isn't that a track from Mag Earwhig!?
Yeah, that was the song I was listening to when I was running out of options picking my hotmail name many years ago! Most people seem to think I am a girl called Tara who is into choking (I have had emails from ppl assuming I'm a girl, chatting me up about music etc) or am into choking girls called tara. Worst email address ever!

there's just too many GBV albums!

fave songs:

official ironmen rally song
wished i was a giant
i am a scientist (single version)
smothered in hugs
tractor rape chain (i'm diggin out my bee1000 tape when i get home!!)
:p
is the single disc best of any good - never saw it or the tracklist????

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back