thinking of getting a Hot Rod Deluxe (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 112
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
I should add - If you like a super loud fender style clean sound, then Its a great amp and I do get nice retro breakup on the things when I'm allowed to actually turn it on. I'd love to do a high energy rockabilly thing with one of those.

RE: the orange tiny amps - Nice though I'm really, really cynical about anything with an external oddball power supply. That's the bit that will break and there wont be a spare within 24 hours shipping distance.

I have one too. Should really sell it. (that's not suggesting it's for sale though)
Well,if you're ever thinking of parting with her lemme know man

All this talk of the Boss Katana had me on youtube the other day checking them out. Not one single bad review. I like the look of that 100w head with the built in speaker for home use. I'm sure the combo version is just as well reviewed.
Ahh here,a BOSS amp?

Not even gonna entertain the notion

It seems that they are rebranded Roland amps. They took what was good about the little cube amps and made a proper yoke.

Anytime I played through a Roland JC100 it sounded great. Plus Steve Rothery has had one in his rig for years.

Embarrassingly the Cube's are wonderful amps. Used the 60w for a run of shows and It was stupidly nice sounding. Even did a show where I had my actual valve amp and cool 70's speakers and the other guitarist had the cube and we ended up having to admit it sounded better.

I should add - If you like a super loud fender style clean sound, then Its a great amp and I do get nice retro breakup on the things when I'm allowed to actually turn it on. I'd love to do a high energy rockabilly thing with one of those.

RE: the orange tiny amps - Nice though I'm really, really cynical about anything with an external oddball power supply. That's the bit that will break and there wont be a spare within 24 hours shipping distance.

I have a micro terror for the gaff and it's class with a 1x12 speaker. Could easily gig a small venue with it.
So i imagine the tiny terror would be even better and more suitable for a gig

Laney VC30 2x12 .

I'd say thered be some roar off it cranked

Opinions?

Beautiful looking amp and only up the road
Still big but I could get it up the stairs in my apartment I reckon..which is a major consideration . I haven't even tried to get the 4x12 up there. Wouldn't be possible really..not without serious risk of injury

Last edited:
Gaz,what are your thoughts on modelling amps?
Lifes too short for anything but valves...thats my only real thinking on the whole subject.

Speaking of which,I was just in Some Neck gutars lookin at the Strats and tried to pick up an AC30...for research...could barely get it off the ground!

So..I wont be getting one of them and the VC30 is only 5kg lighter so fuck that also

Dont tell me you've a Boss Katana for sale G? :)

Not at all,I like to gig with my jmp,but I have a fender mustang for home and get great sounds without trying,and honestly,I doubt valves would sound better at the volume.

I have a little VHT 6 watter I use for practicing at home and man alive the thing sounds unreal at sitting room volumes.If it would do for band practice and gigs I'd be set..but it can't.

The thing with a nice amp like that..it makes you want to play more.I cant recommend them highly enough

I havent tried the Mustangs out mind you so I'd well believe they're good yokes on your word...and I can get some fairly realistic tones out of the computer but its not a very inspiring experience playing it..mind you..the latency on the computer is off putting which modeling amps dont suffer from

But for band practice and gigging I need a real amp.
I played solid states for the first 20 years and I'm not going back

Mind you,the punters never had a fucking clue and neither did I for that matter

Having said all that..I am OPEN to anything..theres nothing more tragic than a closed mind

So a nice little valve combo is where its at

I'd have a look at a modeller for sure,plenty of loud ones around too. Could have advantages for sounds for gigs with different amp types and effects. I get the impression that side of things would appeal to you.

Laney LC30 just ordered from a dude in Manchester ,200 sterling to the door.

Upgraded with a british made V30 speaker and no footswitch.Hopefully shes not a lemon

I'm joining the Laney gang

Fingers crossed it sounds good with my Mexican Strat..cos I'm a strat man at the min

I was playing through a laney vc30 212 for a while. It was one of the earlier, made in the uk ones. Didn't have a master volume.

It didn't get too dirty, but the dirt off it was very tasteful.

Smaller and lighter than my blackstar ht-40. The blackstar has more sound options, but tbh i would say the laney is more authentic. And easier for transport.

Lovely amp. Must get another loan of it.

I was playing through a laney vc30 212 for a while. It was one of the earlier, made in the uk ones. Didn't have a master volume.

It didn't get too dirty, but the dirt off it was very tasteful.

Smaller and lighter than my blackstar ht-40. The blackstar has more sound options, but tbh i would say the laney is more authentic. And easier for transport.

Lovely amp. Must get another loan of it.
Are you sre it was the vc30 212 chris?

Cos my research says its a heavyweight

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back