'There Will Be Blood' Excitement Thread! (2 Viewers)

Daniel Plainview is the role Tomothy Dalton was BORN to play imho!
You may have just spoiled this for me. Cos when I go and see this tomorrow, I just know I'm going to be thinking of Timothy Dalton every time DDL is on screen.

Damn you!

The second last bit of the last scene reminded me of Saturday-evening entertainment, maybe Benny Hill or the Generation Game.
Otherwise, very good.

The Milkshske scene descended into slapstick - which I suppose is true enough, but it was a bit offputting.

Personally I liked the "I abandoned my child" scene far more - especially towards the end when Plainview is laughing to himself at how rediculous the whole setup is.

The setting and the symmetry of the room was so Kubrick looking too.

I hadn't thought of that but you're right.

There was symmetry too in Plainview hammering away in the opening scene and then again at the end.
Now you mention Kubrick, I'm reminded of the apes hammering away at the start of 2001.

The Milkshske scene descended into slapstick - which I suppose is true enough, but it was a bit offputting.

Personally I liked the "I abandoned my child" scene far more - especially towards the end when Plainview is laughing to himself at how rediculous the whole setup is.

I thought the final scene was perfect, but yeah i'm with you on the baptism scene. Thats the kind of script that actors fucking pray for, and Day Lewis fucking nailed it. It was perfectly executed, and his barely composed restraint was brilliant to watch.

I loved everything about the final scene, wacky flailing Plainview and his mental bedlam. The setting and the symmetry of the room was so Kubrick looking too.

yes. I noticed this too. Look back at The Omen , in particular the scenes at the archaeological dig, the score and mood are quite similar to the opening scene here. The use of sinister humor is again similar to the Jack Nicholson in The Shining. The final scene reminded me of the bathroom scene in that film for some reason. The score ...THE SCORE.WOW. I interpreted it that the score was a character itself, the oil perhaps or the obsession that was to come. I think towards the abandoned child scenes he was becoming obsessed with the oil. He descends into madness , an almost demonic possession. The irony of the scene of the " false prophet" was fantastic .Seriously one of the best films I have ever seen.

I seem t be thinking there was quite a lot of Book of Revelations imagery in it too, but I can't remember my scripture just now but am definitely going to read up on it just to see.

Going again on Sunday

just saw this for the second time. it was even better. there is levels to Day Lewis craft in this movie that i just don't understand. it may well be the greatest acting performance i've ever seen.

it was brilliant but took so much energy out of you to be on the sdge of your seat the whole time. the music from start to finish was tense. i really wanted to beileve that there was something good or likable about him but i just couldnt see anything other than business in him. everything was just to get more... even telling his son that he was a bastard because now he saw him as a compeditior... amazing tho...

Does anyone think that in the last scene, Plainview might be dreaming or something?

Just cos Eli didn't age one bit... he was exactly how Plainview would've remembered him as all those years earlier. And it's not difficult to age an actor... grey hair, beard, wrinkles, make-up, thin hair wig. If they just didn't bother, it seems like a silly mistake.

That said, I don't know what the point of it being a dream would be.

???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back