'There Will Be Blood' Excitement Thread! (1 Viewer)

on the ham or genius thing

Daniel Day-Lewis: godlike genius or hammy panto pirate?

Lately journalists have been writing about him in nothing but glowing, reverential terms. Could a Day-Lewis backlash be brewing?

Peter Bradshaw

January 21, 2008 9:30 AM | Printable version
danieldaylew460.jpg

Daniel Day-Lewis on a screen at the Golden Globe awards ceremony, 2008. Photograph: Gabriel Bouys/AFP/Getty Images

I can see it approaching, like a dark cloud in a blue sky: the Daniel Day-Lewis backlash. Recently, I wrote in glowing terms about his extravagantly brilliant performance in Paul Thomas Anderson's forthcoming film There Will Be Blood, for which he has a Bafta nomination and will probably get an Oscar nomination too.
Almost immediately I received this email from a very good friend: "Perhaps next time we see each other you can explain to me what is so brilliant about Daniel Day-Lewis essentially performing like a crazed panto pirate in his last two big movies. It's particularly galling as when he does rein himself in - as at the start of There Will Be Blood, or throughout My Beautiful Laundrette - he's very compelling. But the shouting, the silly accent, the squinty staring, and always the big 'tache. It's Cap'n Hook, for my money."
Is Day-Lewis overpraised? I don't think so, no. But I have to confess there is a strange whispering-in-church tone that comes over journalists when writing about him, particularly evident over the last month. It's the opposite side of the coin to the luvvie-baiting and ironic celeb-gouging now mandatory for the contemporary press. Day-Lewis is the single exception: the beneficiary of a converse need in the papers to show that we're not all snippy, envious meanies and we do appreciate a touch of class. And also, in anticipation of a glamorous British Oscar success, the press wants to repudiate some past mickey-taking about Day-Lewis's much-reported Method approach.
The actor himself doesn't play the celeb game and neither wants nor needs to work continuously, and so when he does do a film a disproportionate note of solemn celebration is perhaps triggered. Peter Stanford got a scoop in the Observer the Sunday before last in getting an interview with him, and a very intelligent and thoughtful piece of work it was, but it was conducted with a reverence more appropriate for a Nobel laureate.
As far as I'm concerned, I have no more interest in, or reverence for, the private persona of Day-Lewis, than I have for Tommy Lee Jones, or Julie Christie or Cate Blanchett. He's terrific in There Will Be Blood, compelling, excessive, stylised and mad - like the film itself. But perhaps it's best to approach him with a little more analysis and a little less awe.

can't watch that.

i mean, i want to. but just can't.

I've no idea what the 'I drink your milkshake' line is, i'm hearing it everywhere. but i'm gonna hold off on that one til i'm drowning in joyous movie spooge at the first screening on Friday 1st February.

Don't watch that clip d00d!

The movie is super by the way.

Daniel Day Lewis is the shit in Gangs of New York, I recall waking up on the couch one day with Yurn! recreating this iconic pose (but Ireland flag replacing the Stars and Stripes) staring at me although he wasn't nearly as intimidating ;)

flag_bill1-1.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis is the shit in Gangs of New York, I recall waking up on the couch one day with Yurn! recreating this iconic pose (but Ireland flag replacing the Stars and Stripes) staring at me although he wasn't nearly as intimidating ;)

I thought the same the first time I saw it - What a hammy bastard, but on subsequent rewatchings I apprediated a lot more.

My uncle looks exactly like Bill the Butcher in Gangs of NY.

He's not as bad ass as Bill though. More bad ass than the old man though.

DDL is the man though. He drives a Triumph bike, or he used to anyway. You would see him up at The Blue Light from time to time.

I drove past a poster for it yesterday and this happened to me
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

fuck this. anyone know where i can watch this on-line? Corey. pissed off with this 'TBC' waiting bullshit.

that's gay. there's only one opportunity you will get to see this movie for the first time and you want to do that on a computer screen???

nuh-uh.

gotta be picture house imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back