The Thumped Motoring Forum (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 87K
  • Watchers 10
One coil spring and a small hole in the exhaust. otherwise golden. On nearly 188000 now, background hoping it'll run to 200000 for the internet likes.

NAICE.

I’ve had words back from my mechanic....... he wont be fixing any rust issues as he doesn’t do ‘patching’.
Fair enough - He’s a well regarded classic merc mechanic / restorer and I’m lookin for the minimum / cheapest work to be done.
Only ‘all or nothing’, and the basic starting price of a paintjob is €5k, so I’ll have to go elsewhere for that at a later stage.
But apart from the list of shite with the car he has do for me, theres a lot of other things amiss with it he has spotted. Also it was in a crash he could tell and that some knob tried to rewire it arseways
This bill is going to go into the thousands. And that’s before I want to look at a paint job / Vinly wrap, LPG Conversion and some nice bits like a decent stereo. Suppose it’ll be summer by the time that’s all afforded and done. At the earliest. And no monies left

Last edited:
NAICE.

I’ve had words back from my mechanic....... he wont be fixing any rust issues as he doesn’t do ‘patching’.
Fair enough - He’s a well regarded classic merc mechanic / restorer and I’m lookin for the minimum / cheapest work to be done.
Only ‘all or nothing’, and the basic starting price of a paintjob is €5k, so I’ll have to go elsewhere for that at a later stage.
But apart from the list of shite with the car he has do for me, theres a lot of other things amiss with it he has spotted. Also it was in a crash he could tell and that some knob tried to rewire it arseways
This bill is going to go into the thousands. And that’s before I want to look at a paint job / Vinly wrap, LPG Conversion and some nice bits like a decent stereo. Suppose it’ll be summer by the time that’s all afforded and done. At the earliest. And no monies left

Like, Its not that awful i suppose if you have firmly got it in the 'labour of love' bracket.

But just to put it out there, would there be any sense in finding one in better shape as a platform?

Like, Its not that awful i suppose if you have firmly got it in the 'labour of love' bracket.

But just to put it out there, would there be any sense in finding one in better shape as a platform?

Oh yeah possibly but I don’t have as many smarts before I bought this one and the hassle of selling / buying another just is not worth the effort and few quid I’d save. They were prone to rust because of the design. Getting one in great condition was always out of my price bracket

Oh yeah probably but I rdon’t don’t have as many smarts before I bought this one and the hassle of selling / buying another just is not worth the effort and few quid I’d save. They were prone to rust because of the design. Getting one in great condition was always out of my price bracket

Ah fair enough. I'm thinking Van/money pit operation is starting in march.

Would Toyota Ireland consider buying it back from you as a shop floor display model? - testament to their durability.
Still thinking a Nissan van?

I'm ambitiously thinking of keeping both, have down graded the van project to a two year see if I like it trial thing, so keeping the car for a year more at least. The van is more likely VW now. If I love it I'll get a newer one...

I'm ambitiously thinking of keeping both, have down graded the van project to a two year see if I like it trial thing, so keeping the car for a year more at least. The van is more likely VW now. If I love it I'll get a newer one...

Cool. I drove a VW caddy for work for a few years. Would highly recommend them

Last edited:
Cool. I drove a VW caddy for work for a few years. Would highly recommend them
that answers a question i came here to ask, namely:
caddy vs. transit connect vs. berlingo vs. peugeot partner.
looking at c.3-4 years old, low mileage, good fuel economy, reliable. caddy seems to be most recommended, but with a higher initial outlay.

got the kia rio ls to 197,000 miles, but was told not to even bother with the n.c.t.

am now in danger of ruining my wife's 206 "while i decide what to buy"...

Drove a Citroen berlingo for six months. Driving a Peugeot partner now which is practically identical to the berlingo. Both drive grand but feel a bit limp. Everything is work for it.
the caddy however feels more like a car with the gearstick closer to the floor. And just nicer to drive generally.
That’s my latest exciting automotive review.

that answers a question i came here to ask, namely:
caddy vs. transit connect vs. berlingo vs. peugeot partner.
looking at c.3-4 years old, low mileage, good fuel economy, reliable. caddy seems to be most recommended, but with a higher initial outlay.

got the kia rio ls to 197,000 miles, but was told not to even bother with the n.c.t.

am now in danger of ruining my wife's 206 "while i decide what to buy"...

While basically just agreeing with ernesto, my ranking while looking at vans was

1. Caddy
2. Transit Connect (because potential issues with 6 speed box)
3. Berlingos/partner etc (they all come out of the same factories with different plastics) - kinda against these things as anything built with europe in mind is building scrappage schemes into its modelling for how long it lasts and how apathetic it makes you before you scrap it and buy a new one. You could probably get an old one every year and drive it into the liffey every xmas to the same effect. I'll bet you thumped reps that the electrics fuck up though.

While basically just agreeing with ernesto, my ranking while looking at vans was

1. Caddy
2. Transit Connect (because potential issues with 6 speed box)
3. Berlingos/partner etc (they all come out of the same factories with different plastics) - kinda against these things as anything built with europe in mind is building scrappage schemes into its modelling for how long it lasts and how apathetic it makes you before you scrap it and buy a new one. You could probably get an old one every year and drive it into the liffey every xmas to the same effect. I'll bet you thumped reps that the electrics fuck up though.

And yes, forgot to say - Also the bulbs KEEP on going. Replacing a bulb every other month at least. Pain in the gowl

And yes, forgot to say - Also the bulbs KEEP on going. Replacing a bulb every other month at least. Pain in the gowl

Avoid the transit connects. Prone to oil leaks, even only year old ones. Also there’s a some major security flaws in them some knackers have discovered. Involving making all the van locks pop open a bit too easily

Is the insurance on 2 window vans (usually) cheaper than a regular car? There used to be a discount but I think remember them removing that a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back