The talking about Arsenal FC thread (2 Viewers)

Reports just now saying that we've applied for the Arshavin work permit.

Now if we could only hijack the Newcastle Veloso deal.
update on those reports, he got twp, and he's taking a pay cut. apparently. he has all the hallmarks of the new rosicky.

gun__1233679852_arshavin_sign3.jpg

Andrey Arshavin... completed move to Emirates Stadium

Russian international Arshavin joins Arsenal

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Russian international midfielder, Andrey Arshavin has joined the Gunners from Zenit St. Petersburg on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Arshavin, 27, who played a key part in Zenit’s UEFA Cup winning campaign last season, was also a member of the Russian EURO 2008 squad in which he scored two goals from his three appearances, earning him a place in the ‘Team of the Tournament’.

Arshavin won the Russian Premier League with Zenit in 2007, making a total of 232 appearances for his previous club, scoring 51 goals. During his time with Zenit, he was also part of the winning team that picked up the Russian Super Cup in 2008, the Russian Premier League Cup in 2003 and featured in the UEFA Super Cup victory over Manchester United in Monaco last August.

With 41 international caps for Russia, Arshavin has scored a total of 15 goals for his country. His versatility has allowed him to play in a variety of positions; the 2006 Russian Footballer of the Year started his career as a right midfielder, but has since played as an attacking midfielder and more recently has filled the ‘second striker’s’ role.

What do arse fans make of this purchase? Another creative offensive player, surely ye have enough of those even if ye have a few injuries. Could have a top centre half and a quality defensive midfielder for the same money.

Do Arsenal have a playmaker? The nearest I can think of is Rosicky. They've been badly missing that creative link between midfield and the forward line for the last few months. I think he'll turn out to be a good purchase.

Since Cesc has been injured and without the pace of Walcott we've had to reply on Nasri single handedly, his done a reasonable job considering his age and its his 1st season for us.
We've obviously missed Rosciky and Hleb too.

Bendtner's had a decent game believe it or not, I loved the performance of Carlos Vela (again) That guy is def going to be a great player....

RVP only on as a sub since the 65th min but the guy is an incredible footballer, imagine he wouldn'tve suffered all those injuries...
Great cameo, a right footed goal, killer passes, subtle touches...brilliant.

Bendtner's had a decent game believe it or not, ..

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/0,17033,8749,00.html

A Modern-Day Media Tale, Part One
For some reason, Nicklas Bendtner is a difficult player to like. Perhaps it's the pink boots. Perhaps it's the way he whined to the referee when he had a row with Emmanuel Adebayor last year. Perhaps it's just the suspicion that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

But just how good does he actually think he is? That's a question being asked a lot this week after the Arsenal striker was quoted as saying to The Daily Mirror:

''I should start every game, I should be playing every minute of every match and always be in the team.''

Strong stuff. And there was more:

'''I've never seen Arshavin. I did not watch Euro 2008. I've no idea what sort of player he is.'''

The newspaper was savage in its appraisal, branding Bendtner 'arrogant' as it mockingly headlined him declaring 'I'm Arsenal's best striker'.

'Bendtner is unpopular with Arsenal fans and his outburst is likely to be met with disbelief,' it added for good measure.

In that at least, there is no argument because, after enduring two days of ceaseless slagging on internet forums and the like, a story appeared on the Arsenal website yesterday titled 'Bendtner: I'm upset and annoyed by reports'.

"None of it was said like that," the player complained. "Basically I did a long interview for the Danish press recently, they asked me a lot of questions and the press over here have taken my answers and twisted them out of proportion. I was happy with the article in the Danish magazine and if you saw it you would realise that what was reported over here was not true."

And upon that invitation, Mediawatch popped off to the Danish press to find the interview in question, conducted by newspaper BT on February 9.

Although we're somewhat reliant on Babelfish's translation service, the quotes from that interview do have an uncanny resemblance to those in the Mirror. There is, though, a rather subtle difference in the quotes attributed:

"I still believe that when I play to my best, I will play from the start no matter who is ready or injured and each time I try to show that I should play from the start."

Note the similarity but also the added qualifications. It's not quite the arrogant boast as depicted in the Mirror, is it?

And what of the Arshavin reference? Does Bendtner really not "know what sort of player he is"? Well, if the translation service is trustworthy, then Bendtner's answer ran along the lines of: "I was not at the European Championships so I did not see him play but I have heard that he is a good player and if Arsenal are paying £12m, and other top clubs were after him, then it is because he can do something."

All in all, then, it would seem that a considerable fuss has been generated over some fairly reasonable quotes. Does it matter? Perhaps not. But then again, the next time the media in general complains about their lack of access to players and the absence of co-operation, perhaps they ought to wonder why footballers are so increasingly reluctant to open up.

doesn't mean nicklas isn't a jessie who would struggle to get into middlesbra's first team though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back