The Script are Irish - i can't believe it! (2 Viewers)

Never heard of them before so decided to check them out and they are everything I hoped for and more.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"I'm not broke, just a broken hearted man"

Before they were serious musicians with real Irish soul, they tried another route to fame and fortune. Anyone remember My Town? No?

http://members.tripod.com/~irish_pop/mytownframe.html

Their 'hits' included 'party all night' and 'bodypumpin'. Even back then they were writing 'a mix of Uptempo songs and soulful ballads'. It's all about the music, right guys?

So, whether it's an all singing all dancing boyband, or a whole new brand of Celtic Soul, these guys are gonna be a smash hit! Come on Thumped - let's get behind them!!!

edit: fucking tripod wouldn't let me put up pictures from that site, but there are some spectacular waredrobe choices in there.

Oh for God's sake Wheels, everyone knows silver metallic shellsuits are SO THIS SEASON!!11

Sheesh.

"In November the performed at the Nickelodeon BIG HELP ( they were amazing, and performed with completely live vocals--the only act at the gigs to do so)(other acts included Britney and N'sync)"

Well done lads.

"Oh no, not ANOTHER Irish boy band" I hear you all scream in agony.
[whoever wrote that is a legend]
Well, be not hasty in your remarks. Mytown are not your usual boyband.
They not have fantastic voices, cheoreograph all of their own dances, ['they not have'?]
but they also play their own instruments, write and produce their own
songs, which ensures that they are 100% Mytown, not just another pretty
face for the record company!!!!"

O RLY?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums.shtml

their album is at number 1 in the UK charts, possibly as a result of thumped's publicity machine

It's totally as a result of a publicity machine. I'm just back from the V festival and they were marketed EVERYWHERE, they had a page highlighted them in the programme, the only band that needed that. I seen their set cos I was waiting for my friend who I'd lost and they came on. I didnt even know who they were. They got the news they were number one in the UK there so the crowd thought they were even better.

I was chatting to a guy from Liverpool who'd seen them the week before there. He said they announced 'we love you Manchester' and totally lost the crowd after that. ha ha ha

Never heard of them before so decided to check them out and they are everything I hoped for and more.

YouTube - The Man Who Can't Be Moved by The Script

"I'm not broke, just a broken hearted man"

That song is about a guy with chronic constipation. He tried everything, enemas, the lot. He later died. True story.

Who manages these the Script?
They're on all the TV shows, they're videos are on EmptyV, all the dickhead DJ's are hyping them up. It's a global conspiracy god damn it, done by the same bastards who made Mika a star.

That song is about a guy with chronic constipation. He tried everything, enemas, the lot. He later died. True story.

Who manages these the Script?
They're on all the TV shows, they're videos are on EmptyV, all the dickhead DJ's are hyping them up. It's a global conspiracy god damn it, done by the same bastards who made Mika a star.

Paul McGuinness's Shop..

I think.

The word "Mytown" reminded me of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-pDSYPrio"]YouTube - Iris Dement - "Our Town"[/ame]

just injecting something decent into this thread

Tonight I subbed a story on one of them cos his bird is having a baby and after, I went and had a look at their wikipedia page. At first, I saw nothing wrong with it - until I looked closer. Did one of you do this???!!! hahahaha!!!!!!!

Danny O'Donaghue (25): "The truth is, I spent a lot of my childhood playing my flute when the other kids were outside playing football and getting into trouble."

Mark Sheehan (27): "I'm not trying to romanticise it, where we grew up was a shit hole, it was stealing cars, all the usual bollocks, but music gave me a sense that I could break away. I know it sounds like a cliche, but to me, as a kid, that was my way out."

Glen Power (28): "My mother always said to find one thing in life that you're good at and the day I picked up the sticks I found it."

The Script are an Irish trio whose music lacks the kind of artful twists sure to turn all preconceptions on their head. This attempts to be a new brand of Celtic Soul, blending hip hop lyrical flow with pop melodiousness, state-of-the-art R'n'B production with generic rock dynamics, typical song construction with bland contemporary narratives. It's got all the emotion and passion you would expect from a corpse, but it is glittering in its post-modernity, universal in its cheesy singalong addictiveness and global in its mundanity, music for the feet, heart and head. Think One True Voice versus Warren G, Maroon 5 remixed by Vanilla Ice.

"Irish people have no soul," according to Danny. "It comes from generations of pain, and generations of not understanding emotion to be able to physically get that in a solid sound."

"Soul is not a black thing or a white thing, it's an asian thing," insists Mark.

"The true vision is to hit people in the wallet," declares Glen.

Danny and Mark met in their early teens in the run down James Street area of Dublin, near the Guinness brewery, gravitating to each other through a shared obsession with music, and in particular a love of American black music. "At that time, MTV only came on in Dublin after midnight, it was the fuzzy channel, and for my generation black culture was just a wave through us all," explains Mark. "It wasn't about gangs and guns; it was fashion and fun, jiving and bopping."

"One day I heard Stevie Wonder singing and the hairs on the back of my neck went up," says Danny. "I didn't even know people could sing like that, I'd never heard the acrobatics of it before." He spent years in his bedroom, pleasuring himself furiously. "I'd try and emulate all those records, even down to string arrangements. Some of the best singers have emulated a musical instrument - Amy Winehouse is a saxophone - but the flute is the one for me, the vibrato, you can bring so much heartfelt emotion in."

"There is something about the way a voice encapsulates a person," says Mark. "The way Danny sings, the raw emotion, when you hear it in front of you, you cannot deny the man love."

Striking up a songwriting and production partnership, Danny and Mark's exceptional talent was recognised early, and, to their astonishment, they found themselves invited to the States to collaborate with some of their production heroes, including such legends of modern R'n'B as Dallas Austin, Teddy Riley, The Neptunes and Rodney Jerkins. "It was a wonderful opportunity to see how these guys build songs," admits Mark, who always carried a packet of condoms around and charmed his heroes into swapping libraries of sounds and samples.

The trio's debut single, We Cry, was released by Phonogenic/ SonyBMG in April 2008 and reached #13 in the UK charts the following month. And it is something, a lazy anthem of everyday struggle that manages to be simultaneously bleak and boring. "There is not a lot of hope in the song, cause not everybody's life is full of hope," explains Danny. "There's not always roses at the end. But out of all these things that have gone wrong in our lives and everybody else's lives, the message is 'together we cry'. Because as long as we're here together then we can find a way to share the burden."

Their debut album, will follow in August, it too promising to be nothing really special. "There is a whole lifetime in these songs," says Mark. "We don't write them in ten minutes. A song takes nurturing, it is an evolving thing. This is a journey, we are in constant change, constant motion. I can't ever put my finger on what exactly The Script is, I don't even think I should, all I know is that it is something that touches me deep inside my colon, and seems to aggravate other people's bowels when we play."

bravo.

This thread delivered so much more than I ever could have hoped for.
That Dawson's Creek one takes the biscuit!
God love them, is all I'll say. Sweet Lord have Mercy Upon Them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back