The Russian invasion of Ukraine (7 Viewers)

Anywhoo. I sorta find twitter borderline unreadable since this invasion began, the micro picking and decontextualising and the intellectualising and usual point scoring shit. I don't think it really represents people and sorta seems more like the old boys (and girls club) acting concerned over their quail eggs at the evening sunday club, as it would be uncouth to not be.

Zelenskyy was oddly compelling to watch this morning and fired some wild daggers at MM that not many were willing to pick up on.

Suspect Putin will continue to increase the atrocities until there is no option to negotiate*

It's not what i think should happen, it's what i think is happening.

*UN calling for negotiations already.

Anywhoo, busy enough at work these days, hope ye's are doing ok.

Anyway, I only came on here to put this up

PPP's Murphy, who I generally like and agree with. Totally in line with Putin, just a cursory condemnation - and then stands in line with everything Putin wants, just gives different reasons.
Because for him, the real enemy is the West - and apparently the fucking EU. God help us.
Have a talk with yourself, Paul. Cos this is utter crap.

And Brid Smyth too. You'd think she'd have some sense.
But even she wants to nitpick the policies of a guy whose country is getting wiped away.

Fucking loo-lahs.

Edit - I gotta calm down

Anger is the biggest opponent most any of us face

Sorry, you guys

ok, my feeling on this is that what murphy says here seems perfectly reasonable and prudent, I support it and I’m glad that someone is saying it.

but!

I get that this is an emotional topic, at an emotional time, and I don’t want to bicker on thumped.

I understand that you have genuine and strongly-held beliefs here, and I respect that. I do too. I’m sure you’re sound. whenever I post stuff here I really try not to pick on anyone personally. I’m sorry if I was upsetting you. There’s enough shit in the world, I hope we can try to be kind on here.

Paul Murphy has condemned Putin and the Russian war numerous times since it began. This is pretty much what I was talking about earlier, and questioning of the narrative around the Ukrainian government and army is automatically portrayed as being a Putin supporter somehow.

Yeah like granted you can vaguely draw a venn diagram and get murphy and putin inside an elipse of kinda being aligned with marxism or something, but then if you drew in FF and FG and SF and GR they'd be overlapping wildly with putin.

some interesting comments here. the likening of nukes to chekov's gun isn't very heartening.

Yeah like granted you can vaguely draw a venn diagram and get murphy and putin inside an elipse of kinda being aligned with marxism or something, but then if you drew in FF and FG and SF and GR they'd be overlapping wildly with putin.

Putin is in no way aligned with Marxism.

I understand that you have genuine and strongly-held beliefs here, and I respect that. I do too. I’m sure you’re sound. whenever I post stuff here I really try not to pick on anyone personally. I’m sorry if I was upsetting you. There’s enough shit in the world, I hope we can try to be kind on here.
<3

(also, god be with the days when we were all pricks and young enough not to care about one another's feelings)

So if we're all so morally outraged at what Putin is doing, and think that any context can be added to this is not ok to think about it because "everyone knows that already" and what we need to be doing right now is thinking 100% about Putin, what Putin does, and how we can stop him.

Why are we continuing to spend 1 billion euro a day buying his coal and gas?

why?

Explain to me why it is morally ok to do this?

Why have we not cut him off immediately for crimes against humanity and have said "we are big boys and girls and we will take the hit to our GDP, and modify our behaviours to stop our outrageous consumption and need for oil and gas because this is much more important".

Our only other option is to declare war and remove Putin, which i'm sure lots of people are fucking gagging for, and even leaving aside the nuclear end of world scenario that is the most likely outcome, even of that was off the table, at that point we will be sending in troops and believing blindly and stupidly that unlike Russia they're the good troops who don't do massacres of civilians, ps please don't fucking google "Fallujah"

ok, my feeling on this is that what murphy says here seems perfectly reasonable and prudent, I support it and I’m glad that someone is saying it.

but!

I get that this is an emotional topic, at an emotional time, and I don’t want to bicker on thumped.

Ah that is very decent of you to say

I'm only sound some of the time. It takes daily practice.
I can get a bee in my bonnet as much as anyone, if not more.
I like to think I practice kindness, but I can be a little like that phrase "Give a man a reputation as an early riser, and he can sleep 'til noon." You can give yourself a pass very easily.
And I hope I didn't get personal.

I have strongly held beliefs on the war, and a longstanding disgust at all Putin's murders. So I've let myself go a bity "See! See! Told you about this guy! See!!"

I wake up every day and promise myself I will not make anyone's day worse for being in it.
Then you catch yourself being just another guy on the internet hammering takes into a keyboard. Not exactly adding value to the human experience.

Murphy was on The Late Debate last night almost tying himself into knots trying to explain what he'd do about the war. He finally said, forgive Ukrainian debt and give money to the Ukrainian relief fund. Couldn't even bring himself to mention Russia, much less condemn it.
I just look to them so often as being a necessary voice and they're refusing to do anything but the most cursory condemnation of the probable war crimes.
But who's kidding who?
It's not like I could say anything to Brid Smyth if I met her, she'd tie you up in knots 6 ways til Sunday as a debater. I'd get my arse handed to me.
It will all figure itself out, I'm sure.

Anyway. Fuck Putin. Up the flats.

Thanks again, brotha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back