The Russian invasion of Ukraine (9 Viewers)

There was a bbc spotlight thing that went out the week after he was sanctioned that went into a lot of detail about how they claim he got the money. A lot of it was pre-Putin but he seemed very close to powerful people in the Yelstin era. The russian government basically loaned him the money to buy the oil company off them.

Only became ultra rich when he sold it back to the state after Putin came in.
Yeah - Abramovich bought the oil business for 300 million half of which was loaned by the Russian government. 5 odd years later he sold the same company for £8 billion plus and in the interim Abramovich moved to London and bought Chelsea FC to help launder money.
so us humble football fans knew all this since 2003 or whatever.

Roman ruined football. the £1.5 billion he loaned to Chelsea led to football hyper inflation over the next few years. now if you not mega rich (multi billions) forget about owning a big football team.
prior to Abramovich, Middlesbrough local lad made good Steve Gibson (then worth circa £80 million) was able to bid against top clubs and bring World Cup winners to Teeside.

azov must have got some new PR agency that’s trying to rebrand them as “moderates”

it really is impressive how this kind of thing can be churned out on command by jolly london media types

View attachment 15563
A grand bunch of lads

EaN-Y_lX0AEXYud.jpg

azov must have got some new PR agency that’s trying to rebrand them as “moderates”

it really is impressive how this kind of thing can be churned out on command by jolly london media types

View attachment 15563
Absolute credulous idiots. They'll support actual Nazis doing pogroms while having a breakdown over "Labour's antisemitism problem."

We're the real fools for taking them seriously of course.

Absolute credulous idiots. They'll support actual Nazis while having a breakdown over "Labour's antisemitism problem."

yep, though it always makes more sense to me to presume they are well-informed and cynical rather than credulous — or, rather, that they are able to doublethink their way through being both

also (tinfoil hat alert) — I’m curious how directly stuff like this connects to UK spooks and other shady stuff. presumably the laundering of azov’s reputation among the london dinner-party media clique is just as important as sending them money and shiny murder toys

yep, though it always makes more sense to me to presume they are well-informed and cynical rather than credulous — or, rather, that they are able to doublethink their way through being both
I have serious doubts about well informed in all honesty, they're probably reading the David Baddiel book and a few selected classic texts but we've all seen the nonsense they come out with when the discourse moves to a new topic, e.g. Northern Ireland. No fear of blustering through with their public schooling confidence and a few texts skimmed in college 25 years ago.

Anyway, it is what it is, they're the ones in charge. I spend so much time feeling so completely ignorant and ill-informed about absolutely everything I'm kind of jealous.

Their fancy planes are more air-to-air planes rather than strike planes. Their strike planes are mostly still older, they're still in the process of building newer strike planes.

They probably do have some fancy stealthy shit for spying but clearly nothing for actually fighting a war.

Reported that a number of buses carrying russian soldiers suffering from radiation have been brought to belarus. Apparently they were digging in at a highly contaminated area in chernobyl with little or no idea about the areas history .

Reported that a number of buses carrying russian soldiers suffering from radiation have been brought to belarus. Apparently they were digging in at a highly contaminated area in chernobyl with little or no idea about the areas history .
ouch . this war has to be going down as one of the biggest cock ups ever in history

the russian devastation left behind in bucha and outside kiev is probably just the beginning. I dread to think what they’re doing in mariupol. and this stuff (from some twitter dude, caveat emptor) about fresh graves in kherson just sounds incredibly grim.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's not. That's why the US and UK and co bombing the absolute fuck out of places like Iraq and Yemen for years needs to be called out too.
This is the point though - pretty much everyone I know rails against the fucking unholy destruction of Iraq. Mention it and most Irish people I know get visibly angry.

But there's this core of lads that will prevaricate about Russia, and give you a bunch of geopolitical horseshit straight from RT any time the Russian army is killing civilians.

They equate Putin with Russia, he's not
And this idea that Russia still being a 'great power' or whatever is an excuse for all this slaughter from Chechnya to Georgia to Syria. Just pure slaughter. This isn't even the first time he's invaded Ukraine.

All I see from these lads is utter guff about how Zelensky is in bed with MI6 and so on. And all this denazification hooey.
And these are decent lads. Good family men, that live with love in their lives.

It just boggles my goddamn mind that they have been so taken in by a murderous thug that runs a country, that they will fight his corner and believe his lies, and just "Yeah, but America" at anyone that questions it.

If anyone said "But Russia cluster bombed Syria" when you brought up the US wholesale wrecking of Iraq, you'd tell them to have a talk with themselves.
These lads though. Same shit, different team.

Anyway. I won't figure it out.

It is just a major head scratcher for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back