The Russian invasion of Ukraine (4 Viewers)

I think a big part of it though is that the the Ukrainians were preparing for the Russians to roll in the tanks for the last 8 years. They knew how the Russians we likely to act, and developed a plan to counter that as effectively as they could with the resources they had. The Russians thought they would roll over.

Its not just an equipment thing - the Russians have a massive, modern army and airforce. The US would have bombed the shit out of Ukraine for a month before any boots hit the ground. Putin clearly thought it would be over within a few weeks at most.

Thats an intelligence and strategic failure on behalf of the russians.

but the 'plucky Ukrainians' trope is silly I'll agree. There's more to it than that

The Russians don't have a modern airforce.
They're using soviet era migs. 1980s tech with a slap of paint

This is my first time hearing of Little Big,so naturally I popped over to youtube and ok..they've biillions of views..but this is brilliant!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That one, faradenza, hypnodancer, Taco's are all stone cold classics. Big drop off in quality after Taco's.

That one, faradenza, hypnodancer, Taco's are all stone cold classics. Big drop off in quality after Taco's.
I checked out Hypnodancer and didnt like it and that was enough.

I just love a bit of eccentric dancing

UTM, who of course has been in a mig once or twice says what sets russian stuff apart is that it is low tech, build so if you can handle a lada niva, you can drive the tank or plane, so no need for years of flight engineering school and faster production times. Numbers game

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tony Connelly from RTÉ has been pretty disappointing throughout this whole time. Seems like the whole ukraine situation has brought out some sort of inner Atlantacist-NATO-war fan in the man. He’s been retweeting people like Anne Applebaum and similar professional cold-warriors. And today he’s retweeting Eliot Cohen — one of the original architects of the Iraq war, and basically a war criminal lunatic.

I’m really not trying to sound like some kind of crypto-Putinist contrarian or the like here — this is genuinely a bummer. Tony is otherwise a solid, reliable journalist, especially on brexit, but also plenty more. so why is he burning his credibility with these kinds of gestures? what’s going on here?

Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 3.19.40 PM.png

Tony Connelly from RTÉ has been pretty disappointing throughout this whole time. Seems like the whole ukraine situation has brought out some sort of inner Atlantacist-NATO-war fan in the man. He’s been retweeting people like Anne Applebaum and similar professional cold-warriors. And today he’s retweeting Eliot Cohen — one of the original architects of the Iraq war, and basically a war criminal lunatic.

I’m really not trying to sound like some kind of crypto-Putinist contrarian or the like here — this is genuinely a bummer. Tony is otherwise a solid, reliable journalist, especially on brexit, but also plenty more. so why is he burning his credibility with these kinds of gestures? what’s going on here?

View attachment 15559

The fact of the matter is you have to be really paying close attention to the DISCOURSE to know how insane Anne Applebaum is, most people just see that she's a history and Russian expert who has won awards.

I read her Gulag book last year btw, lol. Can't fault the research but she spends so much of the book trying to argue that the Gulags and the Nazi death camps are precisely the same and then ties herself in knots as she contradicts herself with her own research.

Well that and I think the huge amount of people still buy the politics of the cold war and are in favour of that position. It might be a vibes-based politics presenting itself as realpolitik but it's what people think.

Putin is a mad dictator against freedom who wants to take over Europe and install Stalin-Nazism, anyone who points out that this position is at best wholly inconsistent is guilty of whataboutism which John Oliver tells me is an "old Soviet tactic".

Well that and I think the huge amount of people still buy the politics of the cold war and are in favour of that position. It might be a vibes-based politics presenting itself as realpolitik but it's what people think.

yeah, I get the feeling that a lot of these people are not only thrilled at the prospect of a new cold war, they’re also somehow *emotionally comforted* by the idea. it’s like they get to put back on a pair of comfy slippers after having been politically barefoot for the last thirty years.

yeah, I get the feeling that a lot of these people are not only thrilled at the prospect of a new cold war, they’re also somehow *emotionally comforted* by the idea. it’s like they get to put back on a pair of comfy slippers after having been politically barefoot for the last thirty years.
welcome to the end of the end of the end of history, up next: history two.

not entirely true. heavily modernized recently.

not entirely true. heavily modernized recently.

Contradicts whatever I read 🤔

What's the reason they can't dominate the sky over the Ukraine then? Maybe not enough decent pilots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back