The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

I know a lot of people are just buying things on bandcamp from bands in Ukraine. A small token way of getting a small bit of money into musicians hands.
Great idea.
and the 'name your price' option on bandcamp could be very useful here.
I've just emailed the guy in Kyiv asking if sending him money that way would work instead.
good one!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

some class of Russian warship just got clobbered.

WELCOME TO DUBLIN
We shouldn't draw hasty conclusions here.
Mightn't have even been Irish people who robbed this lovely couple, could have been anyone.

Not wanting to imply anything, but I've been hearing a lot about some class of Eastern European refugee types flooding across our borders recently. Now I'm not saying they're all criminal types, I'm just saying it does make you wonder.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

some class of Russian warship just got clobbered.

Landing/Supply ship
Either the Orsk or the Saratov

Zvezda (the Russian military TV channel) had trumpeted the Orsk's arrival as a huge positive for supplying its forces in the south
They might put less of this strategic stuff on the air, if it keeps getting blown up soon afterwards

It's so weird to see people (on Twitter) that are usually level-headed buying into this Nazis and Azov narrative as the main driver of the story.
Like a peaceful country hasn't been invaded by a war criminal who's pounding cities of civilians into the ground.

The underlying desire these guys have for Russia to win this thing is right below the surface, and quite a bit saddening.
Clearly all still watching RT or whatever.

yeah, a normally level headed friend has gone a little off the deep end in refusing to believe reports of russian atrocities without hard evidence. which is fair enough on its own, but the traffic all seems a little too one way from him.

yeah, a normally level headed friend has gone a little off the deep end in refusing to believe reports of russian atrocities without hard evidence. which is fair enough on its own, but the traffic all seems a little too one way from him.
I had another friend - when Russia was basically just rolling out endless barrel bombs over Syrian cities - tell me that "bombs are bombs" and it was morally the same as a targeted strike on a military facility.
Like maybe that's true, but it just comes off as mental contortions to justify supporting Russia.

I guess it's easy to see other people's shortcomings, and it'snot like I don't have my own blindspots, but just bombing the fuck out of civilians seems like something no one could approve of.

I think the hypocrisy of a lot of the western moral posturing makes it difficult for people to jump on board with it and you can end up saying weird stuff instead of just condemning The Poo like everyone else is reasonably doing. I don't know what to think about sanctions. Like, we had all these reruns over the last few days of Madeleine Albright justifying sanctions that killed 500,000 Iraqi children. And there were all those depleted uranium shells they littered Iraq with which are not chemical or biological weapons. At least in this current case there is a full on invasion and massive refugee crises to justify the sanctions but everyone in Russia will feel the pain of it before Putin does, likewise in Syria and and even more perplexingly in Iran (who have been under sanction almost as severe as the Russian ones for years and they didn't even invade anyone). On the other hand, what do you do.

See that's it. There's all these atrocities being committed by Russia, Iran, etc etc, but generally the ones the media portrays as calling them out are the US, who are the same ones that have been murdering millions of people all over the world for nearly a century now. So okay, lets go after Putin etc for war crimes etc, but why are they not also getting George Bush, Dick Cheney, Tony Blair, all their ilk? It's the fucking hypocrisy like, galling. It's like it's literally okay for 'The West' to bomb brown-skinned people back to the stone age, but it's only when someone else does to 'people we like' that 'The West' wants to talk about it.

I think the hypocrisy of a lot of the western moral posturing makes it difficult for people to jump on board with it and you can end up saying weird stuff instead of just condemning The Poo like everyone else is reasonably doing. I don't know what to think about sanctions. Like, we had all these reruns over the last few days of Madeleine Albright justifying sanctions that killed 500,000 Iraqi children. And there were all those depleted uranium shells they littered Iraq with which are not chemical or biological weapons. At least in this current case there is a full on invasion and massive refugee crises to justify the sanctions but everyone in Russia will feel the pain of it before Putin does, likewise in Syria and and even more perplexingly in Iran (who have been under sanction almost as severe as the Russian ones for years and they didn't even invade anyone). On the other hand, what do you do.
I just don't see how some perceived hypocrisy is worse than families getting bombed to death and cities getting leveled.
It feels that people approach this almost like it's football teams. They like Russia or China, don't like the West, and everything springs from that.

It seems like every single time Putin does something abominable, someone pops up to say "But the West did...."

There's no shortage of outrages committed by the US. But what's that got to do with a war on our European doorstep?

Really seems so much of the pro-Putin reaction is like he's your football team. And it's actually him killing people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back