The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

ok what the fuck is going on in Belarus now?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"In Russia, the word prison means and has the meaning of torture, inhuman treatment, constant humiliation, threats, rape and even murder, and moreover, staging. Subsequently, it is like alleged death from heart failure, like suicide, and so on. That is, it is not only that you are tortured and killed, but no one will know about it yet. You will simply be buried, no one will be held responsible for this. Exactly this network of torture conveyor, it allowed Putin to suppress the will of the Russians and completely subordinate them to his will."

ok what the fuck is going on in Belarus now?

Whatever those planes are THE coolest looking thing going.

Ah yes, we have agreed upon our specifications. Write this down:
- Hot turquoise colour
- looks like a battle stingray
- pew pew pew looking yokes by the window

Sir, Battle Stingray? Could we... eh elaborate on this specification?

DID I STUTTER YOU ABSOLUTE CUNT. YOU HEARD ME. BATTLE STING RAY. Now be off with you.

(Su-34s it appears.)

Meanwhile

What are you supposed to do with a counter mortar radar anyway?

Lads...LADS. LADS!

What?

There's a mortar coming.

...Oh right.

Yah. FYI like.

What are you supposed to do with a counter mortar radar anyway?

Lads...LADS. LADS!

What?

There's a mortar coming.

...Oh right.

Yah. FYI like.
I've been told you dig a shallow hole, only deep enough to put your body in, and cover your ears. As mortars blow outwards, if you're below ground level, you're relatively grand. The shockwave will go over you. But I don't know.

I guess having advanced warning is useful for that.

I have to say Arnie is excellent at this type of thing.
He did something very similar on covid vaccination.

Born in Mariupol, Sergei Baltacha was the first Soviet footballer to play in England with Ipswich Town in 1988. The Dynamo Kyiv player had a highly successful career in the USSR and won 45 caps playing in the '82 World Cup and finishing runner up in the Euro '88 Final.
Sergei's children were both born in the USSR: Elena (1983-2004) was Britain's top female tennis player before dying of cancer aged 30. Sergei Jr played under 21 football for Scotland.
Lifted straight from his wiki, Sergei Baltacha said in 2012:

"I'm a citizen of the Soviet Union, but I love Ukraine. As for now I've been in the United Kingdom for over 23 years, it's my home. But I still go back to Ukraine regularly. It's a beautiful country with good, kind people. I want to see it become more like European countries. But, I don't think it has to lose ties with Russia, we are similar people, it's in our blood."

Andriy Yamolenko who scored in West Ham's last two matches was born in Leningrad but raised in the same region as his parents (Chernihiv oblast) in northern Ukraine.
His home city Chernihiv was attacked on the first day of the invasion, is under siege since the following day, 25 February.

I was just about to go to sleep last night after posting about the Ukrainian footballers above, when I decided to check my emails.
about the Monday before last I had emailed a guy in Kyiv who was in a band I like and who runs a small tape label. the tapes he does are usually in batches of well under 100 because that's just the level of demand.

Anyway he had replied to me and said he was relatively OK for the moment compared to other places but knew he couldn't get out. I had never been in contact with him before and he had never heard from anyone in Ireland.

In 1995 I read a chilling letter in Maximum Rock n Roll from a Bosnian guy in trapped in the siege of Sarajevo.
He nothing and listed his bank details asking for help. I never forgot this.

the guy in Kyiv gave me his details and I was determined to get something to him before I went to sleep. BUT the money transfer site wise.com said Ukrainian banks required a set of code with 29 (!) digits and he had sent me a number with only half that. I sent him the link on Ukrainian IBAN numbers but could do no more for the moment sadly. But I won't give up and hopefully he gets back to me soon.

So all I could do tell him I was relived to hear from him, send him some links on Irish bands and ask him to stay in touch.
after 10 days I thought I'd probably never hear from him, so at least he's OK for now.

I have a few records on other Ukrainian labels but can only think of one other band from there from years ago that I have anything by...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back