The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

videos from an American ex-soldier and now a builder who's volunteering in Ukraine

I found this most enlightening. I thought the "bravery of the Ukrainians against Putin's incompetent henchmen" thing was a bit too much like sentimental propaganda. And I was kinda right:

its essentially true though - perhaps a little more nuanced?

"bravery of the [better prepared, motivated, and equipped with foreign aid] Ukrainians against Putin's [poorly led conscript] incompetent henchmen [who are really good and bombing the shit out of towns and cities]"

yeah - but if you import most of your grain then youre fucked (like a lot of MENA).
and the grain you source locally will be more expensive because of fertilizer costs.

Fucking hell, the Russian negotiators have been trying to poison the Ukrainian counterparts??

Fucking hell, the Russian negotiators have been trying to poison the Ukrainian counterparts??

this seems more like some kind of outcome of a western obsession with the trope of poison-mad russians than any actual real thing. It seems like it barely got out of the gate and people are already trying to distance themselves from it. (if nothing else, what the hell would the russians hope to gain from poisoning the ukrainian negotiators? they need those guys! they’ve got a giant mess on their hands! they need a deal!)

FO9gjlLXEAcLza9.jpg

FO9gmnxXEAoodus.png

its essentially true though - perhaps a little more nuanced?

"bravery of the [better prepared, motivated, and equipped with foreign aid] Ukrainians against Putin's [poorly led conscript] incompetent henchmen [who are really good and bombing the shit out of towns and cities]"

Well, yeah. They're braver because they know that the supplies they have work, and I suppose the Russians weren't expecting them to have rockets that can destroy their tanks, which makes them less effective as soldiers.

I think I mean that the media here played it as if it was a David V Goliath thing, but that article shows that David has more than just a sling shot. Passion for a cause is vital of course, but it's not the only thing, and I didn't understand how the Ukrainians were doing so apparently well, until I read that.

Little big's Sonya has removed all her sexy pr pics and gone with two anti war images as a profile. She's normally non stop makeup and outfits

Well, yeah. They're braver because they know that the supplies they have work, and I suppose the Russians weren't expecting them to have rockets that can destroy their tanks, which makes them less effective as soldiers.

I think I mean that the media here played it as if it was a David V Goliath thing, but that article shows that David has more than just a sling shot. Passion for a cause is vital of course, but it's not the only thing, and I didn't understand how the Ukrainians were doing so apparently well, until I read that.

I think a big part of it though is that the the Ukrainians were preparing for the Russians to roll in the tanks for the last 8 years. They knew how the Russians we likely to act, and developed a plan to counter that as effectively as they could with the resources they had. The Russians thought they would roll over.

Its not just an equipment thing - the Russians have a massive, modern army and airforce. The US would have bombed the shit out of Ukraine for a month before any boots hit the ground. Putin clearly thought it would be over within a few weeks at most.

Thats an intelligence and strategic failure on behalf of the russians.

but the 'plucky Ukrainians' trope is silly I'll agree. There's more to it than that

Little big's Sonya has removed all her sexy pr pics and gone with two anti war images as a profile. She's normally non stop makeup and outfits

This is my first time hearing of Little Big,so naturally I popped over to youtube and ok..they've biillions of views..but this is brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back