The Russian invasion of Ukraine (5 Viewers)

We, the leaders of the European Commission, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States condemn Putin's war of choice and attacks on the sovereign nation and people of Ukraine. We stand with the Ukrainian government and the Ukrainian people in their heroic efforts to resist Russia's invasion. Russia's war represents an assault on fundamental international rules and norms that have prevailed since the Second World War, which we are committed to defending. We will hold Russia to account and collectively ensure that this war is a strategic failure for Putin.

This past week, alongside our diplomatic efforts and collective work to defend our own borders and to assist the Ukrainian government and people in their fight, we, as well as our other allies and partners around the world, imposed severe measures on key Russian institutions and banks, and on the architects of this war, including Russian President Vladimir Putin.

As Russian forces unleash their assault on Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, we are resolved to continue imposing costs on Russia that will further isolate Russia from the international financial system and our economies. We will implement these measures within the coming days.

Specifically, we commit to undertake the following measures:

First, we commit to ensuring that selected Russian banks are removed from the SWIFT messaging system. This will ensure that these banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally.

Second, we commit to imposing restrictive measures that will prevent the Russian Central Bank from deploying its international reserves in ways that undermine the impact of our sanctions.

Third, we commit to acting against the people and entities who facilitate the war in Ukraine and the harmful activities of the Russian government. Specifically, we commit to taking measures to limit the sale of citizenship—so called golden passports—that let wealthy Russians connected to the Russian government become citizens of our countries and gain access to our financial systems.

Fourth, we commit to launching this coming week a transatlantic task force that will ensure the effective implementation of our financial sanctions by identifying and freezing the assets of sanctioned individuals and companies that exist within our jurisdictions. As a part of this effort we are committed to employing sanctions and other financial and enforcement measures on additional Russian officials and elites close to the Russian government, as well as their families, and their enablers to identify and freeze the assets they hold in our jurisdictions. We will also engage other governments and work to detect and disrupt the movement of ill-gotten gains, and to deny these individuals the ability to hide their assets in jurisdictions across the world.

Finally, we will step up our coordination against disinformation and other forms of hybrid warfare.

We stand with the Ukrainian people in this dark hour. Even beyond the measures we are announcing today, we are prepared to take further measures to hold Russia to account for its attack on Ukraine.

Of course I can't find it now, but I saw a thread on Twitter earlier which was very possibly bullshit; the 'this is partly from an intelligence leak' didn't sound promising, but stated that Putin is furious because this was meant to be a walkover; reasons given it wasn't a walkover is that the Russian army don't have as much armaments such as missiles that they would claim on paper, that they don't have nearly as much fuel as they should have due to corrupt generals selling it, etc. The notion that they'd enter peace talks did seem a bit weird. They probably intended to be in charge by now. Makes you wonder what sort of advisers Putin has surrounded himself with, and how scared they are right now.

It's true. But things have a context and maybe the hard men currently running our country who are making big, tough statements should be asked how much money laundered via the IFSC that they turned a blind eye to for the past 25 years is currently funding this invading army.

Maybe the people calling for funding for green energy who have been scorned and laughed at have a point when it turns out we are reliant on Putin's gas taps to keep our heating on?
Of course I can't find it now, but I saw a thread on Twitter earlier which was very possibly bullshit; the 'this is partly from an intelligence leak' didn't sound promising, but stated that Putin is furious because this was meant to be a walkover; reasons given it wasn't a walkover is that the Russian army don't have as much armaments such as missiles that they would claim on paper, that they don't have nearly as much fuel as they should have due to corrupt generals selling it, etc. The notion that they'd enter peace talks did seem a bit weird. They probably intended to be in charge by now. Makes you wonder what sort of advisers Putin has surrounded himself with, and how scared they are right now.
Yeah. A biltzkrieg and then negotiate from a position of de facto being in charge would seem to have been what they wanted. It is only 4 days though

This one maybe the guy is a former Estonian defense force commander and currently a member of the European Parliament

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was at the antiwar demo in berlin earlier today and it gave me a whole lot of mixed feelings. it was weird seeing liberal-centrist types holding up signs praising guerilla warfare. alongside that, plenty of representation from every reactionary nationalism throughout central and eastern europe that is *not* russian nationalism. also plenty of placards asking for a no-fly-zone, which is tantamount to requesting a nuclear war. people waving nato flags, which is... something I’ve never seen before, anywhere. all accompanied by terrible music. biggest demo I’ve ever been to, but it felt like a glimpse at an awful reactionary future, while at the same time being opposed to an insane horrific present.

at the same time, most of the actual ukrainians I know went to a *different* demo (because the main one wouldn’t let them make speeches about needing weapons, apparently). and the anti-putin russians I know went to a *third* demo, which happened outside the belarusian embassy, because in the middle of all this madness, belarusians are voting in a constitutional referendum today, so that demo might actually change people’s minds there and have an actual real-world effect. and meanwhile, we’re all waiting for a wave of a couple of hundred thousand ukrainian refugees that will start arriving here from tomorrow.

in conclusion... everything is fucked, I suppose

Putin's giving the nuclear weapons a dust off and talking more shite. Who's he planning on nuking? Ukraine? Or does he have a shit list.

Who's close to this prick? He's tanking the Russian economy, and he's costing oligarchs billions. They must know if he can be got rid of all of this will pretty much right itself, and they can go back to focusing on their primary strengths; picking up blonde chicks in expensive cars.

I haven't posted on this thread since before Russia invaded...
well as I said less than two weeks ago, I wrongly thought Putin would get a few concessions and claim a moral victory on state TV and that would be the end of it.
until recently Vlad seemed like a controlled personality who chose his targets well and astutely did due dilegence and overwhelmingly tended to come out on top but guess what? Vlad isn't an evil genius at all!
He's just another megalomanic fool or else he went quare in the head very quickly.

I am devastated for everyone most especiallly everyone in Ukraine but also Russians who now are facing ruin.

in the news today the EU deciding to arm the Ukrainian government is a real Rubicon moment and even Germany is to massively increase spending to levels not seen since Hitler.

I have little idea how Vlad P. went about planning this madness but surely he was told again and again by military, risk assessment and quantity surveyor types that this was a fucking absurd idea and he still went and did it. i wonder how those meetings went.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but people think Vlad has a Grand Plan. He probably doesn't. He is basically a troll.
Sow chaos, make other people worse off, that makes him look good. The more chaotic the better.

I have little idea how Vlad P. went about planning this madness but surely he was told again and again by military, risk assessment and quantity surveyor types that this was a fucking absurd idea and he still went and did it. i wonder how those meetings went.
I dunno, a lot of military advisor types have probably spent the last month or so just going "Yes boss, let us go in and take them out now, we can do it in 3 days"

I dunno, a lot of military advisor types have probably spent the last month or so just going "Yes boss, let us go in and take them out now, we can do it in 3 days"
the inside story would be very interesting. how many/few of them cooked up something there was no real demand for. generals tend to become arms company lobbyists when they retire. war won't be good for the economy this time.

Things are clearly not going to plan for putin and co., and at the same time there’s a disincentive to voluntarily de-escalate. It’s not a very intelligent statement to make- but this could get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back